5000-mile Service Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 11:22 AM
Glock-45
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 5000-mile Service Question

Hey Guys,

I have a question to see what you guys recommend I should do.

The 5000-mile service on my 2017 Street Glide Special is coming up now, so I am having the dealer do it for me, but my concern is that I did a poor man's stage-1 kit on the bike that consist of a K&N filter, Rineharts slip-ons and a Cobra Powrpro Black fuel management system, so my concern is that if the dealer sees the fuel management system on the bike, they might make note of it and if I ever had the need to do a warranty repair on the bike, they might tell the Moco and my warranty might be rejected or cancelled.

So do you guys think that it might be safe to leave the fuel management unit installed on the bike, or you highly recommend I un-install it as a precaution????

I'm actually not looking forward to un-installing the unit, because it was a pain in the *** to run all of those wires under the fuel tank, but if it would be wise for me to do so, I will to avoid taking chances.

What do you guys recommend I should do?

Thanks.

Old 11-08-2018, 11:28 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,543 Likes on 4,431 Posts

Originally Posted by Glock-45
Hey Guys,

I have a question to see what you guys recommend I should do.

The 5000-mile service on my 2017 Street Glide Special is coming up now, so I am having the dealer do it for me, but my concern is that I did a poor man's stage-1 kit on the bike that consist of a K&N filter, Rineharts slip-ons and a Cobra Powrpro Black fuel management system, so my concern is that if the dealer sees the fuel management system on the bike, they might make note of it and if I ever had the need to do a warranty repair on the bike, they might tell the Moco and my warranty might be rejected or cancelled.

So do you guys think that it might be safe to leave the fuel management unit installed on the bike, or you highly recommend I un-install it as a precaution????

I'm actually not looking forward to un-installing the unit, because it was a pain in the *** to run all of those wires under the fuel tank, but if it would be wise for me to do so, I will to avoid taking chances.

What do you guys recommend I should do?

Thanks.
5K service eh?..doubt they'll find out about it doing a $400 oil change and tire inflation..LOL

Old 11-08-2018, 11:59 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,476 Likes on 1,062 Posts

To be perfectly honest, it seems some dealers overlook non EPA compliant parts on bikes when servicing, but some may not.

The fact is, and not trying to sound like a jerk, you're the one that broke your contract and voided your warranty. You shouldn't question when/if the dealer physically voids it. JMO

Old 11-08-2018, 12:23 PM
wengerda
Cruiser
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

If you can, remove the fuel management. When the bike gets hooked up to the computer, the computer will check your ECU and lie it did happen to me, my powertrain warranty was gone. Even though, the Harley Dealer installed the Powervision, MOCO flagged my bike and it will stay flagged for the rest of the bike life.

Old 11-08-2018, 12:31 PM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,451 Likes on 932 Posts

" What do you guys recommend I should do? "

I recommend you do the Oil change, Oil filter change, and wash the air cleaner. The other fluids should have been put in at the 1000 mile service. Your Primary doesn't need changing until 10,000, and your tranny is changed at 20,000 miles.
I'd rather do it myself and have my bike to ride the day, instead of it sitting in the shop being serviced

Old 11-08-2018, 12:33 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,543 Likes on 4,431 Posts

"The 5000-mile service on my 2017 Street Glide Special is coming up now"
when did you buy it? not sure it's worth worrying about or hassling over at this point to be honest..how much warranty is left on a 17 and with 5000 miles ain't been ridden much

Old 11-08-2018, 12:37 PM
RichM752
Road Master
Received 371 Likes on 215 Posts

If you change the oil yourself, you save $340. The $340 will buy like 20 cases of PBR.

Old 11-08-2018, 12:46 PM
Noisy Cricket
Road Warrior
Received 366 Likes on 271 Posts

It's not going to matter. The old ECU already made a note of it when you disconnected it, and it will make another note when you re-connect it. Just chill and let the chips fall where they do.

Old 11-08-2018, 12:55 PM
Cold Forged
Cruiser
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by wengerda
If you can, remove the fuel management. When the bike gets hooked up to the computer, the computer will check your ECU and lie it did happen to me, my powertrain warranty was gone. Even though, the Harley Dealer installed the Powervision, MOCO flagged my bike and it will stay flagged for the rest of the bike life.
Unlike the PowerVision, I believe that the Cobra PowerPro is strictly a "piggy-back" controller and does not overwrite the ECU. As such, it should not leave a digital "footprint" after it is removed. However, as the OP wrote, it would be a hassle to physically remove. Unless the bike is going in for an idle speed re-calibration (as some 2017 models have required under warranty) it may never be noticed by the tech.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:27 PM
Glock-45
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for your honest replies guys, and no offence taken at some of the replies, I've always admire honesty from people.

Even though it is the type of service I can easily perform myself, I just wanted the dealer to have recorded that they did all of the services themselves just in case of a "God forbid" problem down the road and for them not to give me problems about the warranty, even though as the owners, we ARE allowed to do the services ourselves.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: 5000-mile Service Question