General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what do you recommend Roadglide or streetglide?!! Need Help!!

Old 11-14-2018, 08:54 AM
by302404
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what do you recommend Roadglide or streetglide?!! Need Help!!

Hello;
I need help to make decision between a road glide or a street glide 2017.
I am 5ft6in (not tall) moving from softail heritage to touring. Not sure which model to pick.
Unfortunately not able to ride them for trial. Kindly advise with your opinion and recommendations.
However; I like the sharky look more)
Thanks!!!

Old 11-14-2018, 09:22 AM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,640 Likes on 2,668 Posts

If you like the Road Glide look more, not many people will argue that it's not the better ride. I didn't like the look as well, and the test ride I took on the Road Glide was not enough to sway my opinion in favor of it. I stuck with the Street Glide. I liked the radio/GPS being closer to me. The best answer is to rent both to get a good feel for them, but if that's not possible, pick the one you like best. Start looking at windshields and see what you like in that department. Most will tell you the factory shields are just there for looks.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:30 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

I wouldn't buy without riding it but if you can't.....

If you like the shark, get the shark. By most accounts the ride is great and many say superior to the SG due to the fixed fairing. It's the looks that people either love or hate. Since you like it you're all set.

I'm 5'6 with a 30" inseam. The RG will not be too tall for you. It's taller than your Heritage for sure, but you'll be able to get your feet on the ground. If you get the Road Glide Special it will be an inch shorter and even a better fit possibly. It is much heavier than your Heritage and you'll notice it more when parking so just be prepared for that. Good luck and enjoy.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:49 AM
crusader1xxx
Road Master
Received 246 Likes on 193 Posts

Get the Roadglide, you will thank me after. I have had two of them and they are by far the best touring and handling touring bike made, ever!
It does take a little to get use to the front end but once you do, you will love it....

If I ever buy another bike, it will be a Roadglide

The following users liked this post:
lh4x4 (08-29-2019)
Old 11-14-2018, 09:52 AM
sportglide
Cruiser
Received 80 Likes on 45 Posts

The Road Glide is a better ride - but if your short (like me) you better drop the bike some with some legend suspension etc... also add some rubber to your riding boots. Remember not to stare at the fairing while riding the Road Glide, it will mess with your head. I have the 2019 RGS and love the bike and the ride because the fairing is mounted on the frame not the forks so it moves better.

lh4x4 (08-29-2019)
Old 11-14-2018, 10:15 AM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts

I don't understand how you could have the choice between the two and not the ability to ride either one?

The following 2 users liked this post by Cbyway:
ABQ-Jammer (11-16-2018), beanoboy (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 10:30 AM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Why break the code...you need to get a black Street Glide!

Old 11-14-2018, 10:31 AM
Sparkee...
Road Master
Received 226 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Cbyway
I don't understand how you could have the choice between the two and not the ability to ride either one?
Not everybody has a Harley dealer next door to them. The closest one to me is 120 miles away and work keeps me away from home for weeks on end.

Personally I didn't like the shark nose fairing even though most reports claim it to be a better touring ride. Since My preference was a touring bike and I like the bat wing fairing I ordered an Electra Glide over the phone. Even if I could take a test ride there was also too much snow and ice on the road at the time I ordered my bike. I took a chance, I have no regrets. I will be ordering a 2019 Limited the same way over the winter for the new riding season.

Old 11-14-2018, 10:33 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,177 Likes on 2,448 Posts

if you are looking between a roadglide custom or a streetglide, then the thing to remember is that they are basically the same bike. the only significant difference is the fairing. the specials are not any lower, either. it is only when you toss in the ultras that you start looking at longer shocks. the others all have 12 inch shocks.

and don't worry about the height thing. i'm 5'4'', and I don't like the batwing fairing being so 'in your face'. the shark is just more open feeling to me.

been on roadglides for over 8 years. can't see not riding one. they love to chew up miles.

and to dispel a couple of myths. you can control the radio with the thumb switches, so distance to radio is irrelevant. when you're moving at speed, you'll be countersteering so the headlights will actually be leaning into the curve with you. so disregard the 'headlights don't turn where I'm going' that you'll hear.

Last edited by skratch; 11-14-2018 at 10:36 AM.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:56 AM
Marks57
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

I've had an Ultra and now have a Road Glide. I like the RG better. I'm not sure I can tell a difference in the ride or handling, but after riding the RG, when I sit on a bat wing it feels like the fairing is right up in my face. You'll be happy with either.

lh4x4 (08-29-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: what do you recommend Roadglide or streetglide?!! Need Help!!