General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cutting a PlexiGlass windshield

Old 11-14-2018, 11:14 AM
hitthecoast
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cutting a PlexiGlass windshield

Since I didn't grow up with a father to teach me these things, I learn from the HDForum family with each of my posts...

I need to widen the headlight port on this windshield by about 3/4" so it fits over my nacelle.

READ BELOW

My buddy let me borrow his Dremel kit, but it comes with every type of bit except the cutting edge. All the discs in the box are sanding discs.

READ BELOW

Went to Home Depot, they didn't have any cutting wheels. Which type should I look for in cutting this thick of PlexiGlass? Any tips on cutting/holding the windshield?

Old 11-14-2018, 11:23 AM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,991 Likes on 1,997 Posts

You need some type of saw blade ...not a grinding disc ,that will melt it before it cuts...wont be pretty. Find a jig saw. Put some masking tape or painters tape on both sides of the shield where you're going to cut it. You want a fine tooth blade then you can use thst dremel to polish up the cut edge. I made a shield once and used a band saw tp cut the shape and then a grinding wheel to clean up the cut. Tape, take your time, let the saw do the work.

The following 2 users liked this post by Screamin beagle:
hitthecoast (11-14-2018), Mattbastard (11-16-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 11:26 AM
Grouser62
Road Captain
Received 524 Likes on 248 Posts

I have cut down several windshields with good success. Have always used a jigsaw. Make a pattern with a piece of cardboard. Tape off the area you are working on to avoid scratches. Hold the pattern to the taped off area and use a sharpie to draw your cutting line. Make sure your shield is clamped very tightly, in fact if it is possible to leave it on the bike that works fine, just make sure you can't damage any parts of the bike, and use blankets etc to keep sawdust away. Use jigsaw to cut piece out. File and sand the edge smooth, being careful not to slip onto the face of the shield.

There are youtube videos that show this method.

The following 2 users liked this post by Grouser62:
71on72 (11-16-2018), hitthecoast (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 11:38 AM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

I've done a bunch. I use an abrasive cut-off wheel on a small angle grinder. You can use a dremel too. Yes, if you push hard it melts the edge, but it cleans off easily. My practice is to tape the entire windshield with masking tape. Draw your lines on with a pencil first, refine it, then go over that with a sharpie.

After it's cut, the melted edges usual break off easily by hand, then you can clean up the edges with sandpaper.

On an inside radius cut like for headlight clearance, a saber saw might be best, although I use a flapper wheel on my angle grinder.

Edit....After reading RKs response response below, he is spot about letting the saw do the work. Use caution with a saber saw. I can't tell how many peice of Plexiglas I've cracked by trying to force it

Last edited by Mike Lawless; 11-14-2018 at 11:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
hitthecoast (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 11:40 AM
RK_Classic
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,518 Likes on 2,498 Posts

Originally Posted by Grouser62
I have cut down several windshields with good success. Have always used a jigsaw. Make a pattern with a piece of cardboard. Tape off the area you are working on to avoid scratches. Hold the pattern to the taped off area and use a sharpie to draw your cutting line. Make sure your shield is clamped very tightly, in fact if it is possible to leave it on the bike that works fine, just make sure you can't damage any parts of the bike, and use blankets etc to keep sawdust away. Use jigsaw to cut piece out. File and sand the edge smooth, being careful not to slip onto the face of the shield.

I used a jigsaw with a fine tooth metal blade, let the saw do the work then finish up with a file and sandpaper, the shield needs to be stable, so you will need to find a way to clamp to a table. Or you can see if a glass shop will cut it down for you on the cheap.

rk classic.

hitthecoast (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 12:04 PM
BuckKnuckle
Road Master
Received 1,000 Likes on 395 Posts

Had to do this with a Street Shield several bikes ago because the curves at the bottom overlapped with
my blinkers.

I just used a grinding disk that you put on a drill, one with a stiff rubber back. Very coarse "grit". It munched
away the plexi very nicely, didn't melt anything, and was pretty easy to control. I probably had to take 1/2
inch off of each curve. Took about half an hour, and when I was done, I just rounded off the edges to match
the rest of the windshield, and it looked like it came that way from the factory.

hitthecoast (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 12:34 PM
Labrador
Road Master
Received 503 Likes on 260 Posts

I use Dremel reinforced cut-off wheels. The low speed setting on the Dremel tool works great and will not melt the plastic. Taping the windshield is advisable in case the tool skips or wonders away. I tried a jig-saw blade but the vibration from the tool made it hard to focus whereas the Dremel gives you more control in my opinion.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Dremel-1...-426/100009724

hitthecoast (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 12:50 PM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

Originally Posted by Grouser62

Not to be an ******* (though I suppose I am), I'm guessing if he could leave the shield attached to the bike, this whole conversation would be moot.
To the OP, can the brackets be moved up eliminating the need to cut the shield?

Last edited by sailmotion; 11-14-2018 at 12:51 PM.
hitthecoast (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 01:08 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,892 Likes on 3,007 Posts

I used thr dremel with a cutting bit like you'd use on sheetrock.
First put blue painters tape, draw your cutting line and go to it. High speed.

hitthecoast (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 01:23 PM
johnny_bravo00
Road Captain
Received 285 Likes on 142 Posts

A dremel tool would not be ideal for cutting an inside radius. If you were cutting the outside of a radius, that's a different story (like the outside edges of the windshield). The blade will try to pull you in a straight line, even if you pull it out a bit, it will start to bind creating a "not so clean" cut.

I agree with what others have mentioned about taping it off and using a fine tooth jigsaw. Maybe even a coping saw if you can position the blade properly so the handle doesn't make contact with the windshield?

hitthecoast (11-14-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cutting a PlexiGlass windshield