Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting in winter weather

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 09:10 PM
Mborras1
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Starting in winter weather

Hello all

This has been going on for the last few years now.
during the winter I tend to want to go out and let my sporty run for a little but never able to get it started after it’s been sitting for over a month in the cold garage. I have a trickle charger on it all year long whenever I’m not riding and after rides I plug it in just out of habit.
the bike has full power just seems not enough cold cranking amps to turn the motor fast enough start.
during the riding season I have no problems starts on the dime. Would you say it’s time for a new battery or that’s normal for a motorcycle battery?
also i never replace the battery and have had the bike 3 years already. But like I said I have no issues in warmer weather.

If I do replace the battery this year what would be the best smallest battery to get. I have a PCV stuffed on top of the battery so a little room will not hurt also looking for performance in the battery as well.

Oh bike is 13 custom 1200 Stage 1 kit

Old 12-03-2018, 11:52 PM
whylee
Road Warrior
Received 343 Likes on 244 Posts

I would say its your battery. They degrade over time and charging will not bring it back. You can look at the Lithium batteries, they tend to be smaller and lighter.
You should also check all the battery cables and connection points.

Old 12-03-2018, 11:54 PM
touchdown
Supporter

Received 1,658 Likes on 945 Posts

I had had that starting problem at times too. I just put a heater facing the bike about an hour or so before I go out to start it.. As far as the battery goes if its low it will do that, three years old is when I always think about buying a new one.

Old 12-04-2018, 05:54 AM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,999 Likes on 1,998 Posts

Besides your battery seeming like it's ready for a replacement, running your bike for few minutes during winter storage is one if the worse things you can do to it. It's not getting to full operating temperature so Any condensation that has accumulated in your oil is not getting hot enough to burn off and by running it for short periods you're actually creating more condensation than if you just let it sit. Throw in some fuel stabilizer run it for a few minutes to get it hot and get that into the system, change fluids, hook up battery tender and kiss it good night. Get yourself a new battery for the spring and then you'll be ready to ride.

The following 3 users liked this post by Screamin beagle:
bobg03 (12-07-2018), cacomly (12-07-2018), skypeace (12-08-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 06:34 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

First, there's no need to start your bike in winter - when you live in Chicago (North/cold country). Actually, you're creating issues w/acids and moisture build-up in crankcase b/c bike's not burning things off (short heat/cool cycles). Just winterize, plug-in, cover and cry until spring.

Next, your battery's probably weak/going. Get a Advance Auto and get replacement...same as Deka/Big Crank battery (their brand).

The following 2 users liked this post by Iceman24:
cacomly (12-07-2018), skypeace (12-08-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 11:42 AM
Pugslycat01
Tourer
Received 111 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by touchdown
I had had that starting problem at times too. I just put a heater facing the bike about an hour or so before I go out to start it.
Another alternative if the bike is covered, even if you just throw a blanket over the seat hanging down beside the engine, is to just toss a shop light with an incandescent bulb beneath the covered bike for a while. Things won't be toasty, but that will warm the engine and fluids enough to help with starting.

I have to agree with others that there really is no good, and actually some harm, that comes from idling the engine in the garage periodically over the winter. Sometimes, though, you get the opportunity to ride on an unseasonably warm day, which still might be cooler than your typical "riding season" day. That's a good thing. Last winter I rode every ice free day that had temperatures at least a couple degrees above freezing.

The following users liked this post:
skypeace (12-08-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 11:59 AM
stereoguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 547 Likes on 185 Posts

Warming the motor is one way, just don't stop and let it get cold. the battery just doesn't have enough cold cranking amps at 200 CCA, I finally bought an Antigravity with 480 CCA and it will spin it in all weather. That being said, it is not a good practice to start your bike in the winter months just to let it run, it is better to leave it sit till spring when you can run it, condensation forming in the crankcase is not a good thing.

The following users liked this post:
skypeace (12-08-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 02:13 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Although you've owned the bike for 3 years it is likely the battery is original, if so then now is a good time to replace it. Also buy yourself a modern tender, especially if your 'trickle' charger is old. A modern tender will keep your new battery in tip-top condition. As already suggested disconnect, clean and grease both ends of both main battery cables to get the best out of your battery.

Old 12-04-2018, 05:39 PM
Mborras1
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks for all the good advice will look into a new battery and just let her sit it out.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:40 AM
arkyleo
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stereoguy
Warming the motor is one way, just don't stop and let it get cold. the battery just doesn't have enough cold cranking amps at 200 CCA, I finally bought an Antigravity with 480 CCA and it will spin it in all weather. That being said, it is not a good practice to start your bike in the winter months just to let it run, it is better to leave it sit till spring when you can run it, condensation forming in the crankcase is not a good thing.
Great idea on the lithium! On my new (to me) 2004 1200 roadster I replaced the 3 yr old battery with a "big crank" which to my dismay has less CCA than the old battery and does the same starter stall mostly when hot. I can live with it as it always turns over on the second try--but I will purchase a "anti-gravity" brand lithium soon. The one pictured on Amazon has the 2 terminals on the top center, but on their website the newer models have the 4 connectors on the corners which would make an easier hookup. Santa has batteries in his bag--right?

Quick Reply: Starting in winter weather