Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for AX5000 Information

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 04:06 PM
Timberjkd
Tourer
Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Looking for AX5000 Information

Hey all. Just like it says. I'm asking for information from everyone about the Sony AX5000 infotainment system. I've seen online videos of how they seem to be pretty water resistant. Especially when wrapped in vinyl inside fairings. The info I'm looking for is guys that have it...is it worth the switch from 6.5? How do thumb controls really work? Saw a video about the ax100 but they really didn't go into detail about the thumb toggles. That's a big deal to me with a road glide. If they just control volume and skip that's not worth it. Especially with navigation and feature selection and keyboard. My stock sounds great with biketronics amp and speakers but I use a flash drive for all my music.
Also has anyone had any issues? Fyi I posted these questions on someone else's thread but I figured I should start one.
Thanks!

Old 12-13-2018, 05:38 PM
mmats69
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Biketronics just released their version. Should be top notch like all their other stuff. I’m also trying to see if others have bought this kit and how it performs. Pretty sure it’s a night and day difference from the stock unit.

http://www.biketronics.com/sony-xav-...ushmore-radio/

Old 12-13-2018, 05:38 PM
Ryan42
Road Master
Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

There’s multiple threads on this. The right hand control is basically useless. The left one will work. Some have issues with water and technically they shouldn’t get wet. Biketronics came out with modified unit meant to get wet but it’s 300 more than any other ones. Shimmy also makes a cover but it’s not as good as BT and 300 is a lot for a little water proof case. But to each their own

Old 12-13-2018, 05:56 PM
Fullbore55
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,632 Likes on 1,226 Posts

I have it, but replaced 4.3 rather than 6.5 boom. Did it for better tunes (added amp and replaced speakers), without needing line levelers or DSP. Ax5000 has filter freq settings and Eq that’s accessible at main display. That, and NAV via google maps and Android Auto were my reasons to upgrade. I don’t miss the right thumb controls. So your mileage probably is different.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:15 PM
Hunter55
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I also have the 4.3 unit and am looking at this for better Audio and Navigation but I am wondering what will happen when I have no cell service, will I lose all Nav abilities,The Biketronics unit is more money but compared to the used 6.5 units available on this forum or eBay it is similar in pricing and it would come with a warrantee and a dealer to go back to if there was a issue, Following all posts on this Sony

Old 12-14-2018, 07:26 AM
Timberjkd
Tourer

Originally Posted by mmats69
Biketronics just released their version. Should be top notch like all their other stuff. I’m also trying to see if others have bought this kit and how it performs. Pretty sure it’s a night and day difference from the stock unit.

http://www.biketronics.com/sony-xav-...ushmore-radio/
Just saw that. Agreed, but if I cant use toggles...gonna have to pass.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:29 AM
Timberjkd
Tourer

Originally Posted by Ryan42
There’s multiple threads on this. The right hand control is basically useless. The left one will work. Some have issues with water and technically they shouldn’t get wet. Biketronics came out with modified unit meant to get wet but it’s 300 more than any other ones. Shimmy also makes a cover but it’s not as good as BT and 300 is a lot for a little water proof case. But to each their own
Yes there are lots of threads on this, but the I haven't seen anyone really go into details about. Ton's of speculation from those who Dont have one, and a lot of info on the Ax100. Not much in the order of details on the 5000. I just saw Shimmys video. Thanks.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:30 AM
Timberjkd
Tourer

Originally Posted by Fullbore55
I have it, but replaced 4.3 rather than 6.5 boom. Did it for better tunes (added amp and replaced speakers), without needing line levelers or DSP. Ax5000 has filter freq settings and Eq that’s accessible at main display. That, and NAV via google maps and Android Auto were my reasons to upgrade. I don’t miss the right thumb controls. So your mileage probably is different.
Yea, I ride daily if possible and tour multiple times during the year. Thanks for the info

Old 12-14-2018, 07:59 AM
Stuntmeat
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I think your best bet is to call Biketronics and ask your hand control questions. Out of the people running the 5000 on the forum (myself included) I know of none that used the Biketronics kit as it wasn’t available until recently.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:08 AM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 546 Posts

I have the 5000 HU and will say that I really like the SQ from it. Replaced the 6.5 boom and not looking to put the boom back in even if water should ruin the sony. I will just replace it with another because of the SQ. You will loose some functions with the sony over the boom but in my opinion it is worth it. On the sony, the left thumb control will operate volume, skip forward or back on a usb device and what source you want. (use, Bluetooth, am/fm, usb 1/2 ect.). The right thumb will also operate the volume and pause the currant usb song. You can custom set what each thumb control function can do. The only thing I miss with the boom is the files on a memory devise will show up on the screen and you can look up what you want to listen to. On the sony, the interface only recognizes 250 max in each file so if like me with over 1000 different songs, you have to put them in different root files and open that file of 250 songs or less. I simple put different songs in different files (country, pop, oldies, ballads ect). The big advantage the sony has over the boom is a clean signal that doesn't need a line leveler, flash of any kind and no need for a dsp unless you have more than 4/6 speakers that need separate tuning. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Looking for AX5000 Information