General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet Bluetooth Communications

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 09:47 AM
PhillySoldier
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Helmet Bluetooth Communications

Looking to purchase some phone/music headset for the helmet and wanted to ask which was better Sena or Boom?

Old 01-07-2019, 09:51 AM
DanRC
Road Master
Received 187 Likes on 73 Posts

Cardo

Old 01-07-2019, 09:59 AM
MarkinMO
Tourer
Received 191 Likes on 82 Posts

I seem to recall a previous thread on this topic where it was stated that only the HD branded sets would give stereo output. I'm sure someone with direct knowledge will chime in.

Old 01-07-2019, 10:05 AM
auburntsts
Cruiser

Received 108 Likes on 61 Posts

Another vote for Cardo. My wife and I both have PakTalk Slims and love’em.

Old 01-07-2019, 10:55 AM
GRWHD
Road Warrior
Received 256 Likes on 207 Posts

Sena Calvary

Old 01-07-2019, 11:24 AM
PovertyRider
Road Master
Received 197 Likes on 140 Posts

Cardo gets my vote.

Old 01-07-2019, 12:23 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,459 Likes on 1,406 Posts

I've been doing some research on this recently. I currently have custom moulded earplugs with bluetooth and they are great for music, phone (which I never use) and wind noise protection - but I want something for group communication when on group rides.

To my mind, it looks like the Sena 30K is about the best out there right now - the killer feature is the mesh intercom which lets an almost unlimited number of riders talk freely - and the more there are, the further the range is. Each 30K unit amplifies and redistributes the signal, so you get a self healing mesh network. Note that for this super cool feature to work, the other riders need the same piece of kit. Of course, it is backwards compatible with Sena kit and other brands of intercoms as well.

It also has general and private channels. For my use this is great as if I am road crew on a ride, I can talk privately with the other crew and we can use the general channel for everyone for general chat.

I know you are only looking for tunes and phone, but the 30K looks like a great unit and I am about to buy one. Have a look at it before you buy something else.

Old 01-07-2019, 02:23 PM
DanRC
Road Master
Received 187 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by adm
I've been doing some research on this recently. I currently have custom moulded earplugs with bluetooth and they are great for music, phone (which I never use) and wind noise protection - but I want something for group communication when on group rides.

To my mind, it looks like the Sena 30K is about the best out there right now - the killer feature is the mesh intercom which lets an almost unlimited number of riders talk freely - and the more there are, the further the range is. Each 30K unit amplifies and redistributes the signal, so you get a self healing mesh network. Note that for this super cool feature to work, the other riders need the same piece of kit. Of course, it is backwards compatible with Sena kit and other brands of intercoms as well.

It also has general and private channels. For my use this is great as if I am road crew on a ride, I can talk privately with the other crew and we can use the general channel for everyone for general chat.

I know you are only looking for tunes and phone, but the 30K looks like a great unit and I am about to buy one. Have a look at it before you buy something else.
There are some Youtube videos that compares the Cardo Packtalk vs. Sena 30K that might make you rethink your choice. I have not used the Sena 30K but have used other Senas before going over to Cardo Packtalk and I would never go back.

Old 01-07-2019, 03:01 PM
rbdub474
Road Master
Received 353 Likes on 218 Posts

I have a Schuberth helmet and they offer a comm unit that integrates into the helmet and replaces the neck roll. It is nice and hidden with all the controls on the side of the left side neck roll. Output is stereo. The system is made by Cardo and works phenomenal.

The following users liked this post:
Gumbie013 (01-12-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 04:04 PM
ThePaintPirate
Club Member
Received 1,497 Likes on 786 Posts

I recently picked up the Sena SF2 since all i needed was music/radio and possibly connect to one other rider. FortNine does a great comparison of different systems.

Quick Reply: Helmet Bluetooth Communications