General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible air in ABS / bleeding question

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 06:52 PM
BadDogBiker
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Possible air in ABS / bleeding question

Hello everyone my 2016 Road King is having a few problems. A couple weeks ago I was changing the pads and the brakes would not pressurize and then I noticed fluid was coming out of the top bolt.

Following the suggestion of a fellow member here I cleaned them up and retorqued the bolts holding the caliper together. Mounted back on the bike and bled them. Come out that morning to go for a ride and check the calipers for any possible leaks. Well the reservoir was empty and there was fluid all around the banjo bolt. Tightened the banjo bolt up to correct torque and it hasn't leaked since.

So my question is would it be possible that the ABS may have been drained? This all happened within 12 hours and I filled the reservoir up as soon as I seen it was empty

I have been working on bleeding this since Monday after work and seems like it is taking forever so I think I might be doing something wrong.

These are the steps I am doing:

Filling reservoir
Put mityvac on and pump to around 15
Release bleeder valve
Fill with fluid as it is pulled out

Is there something I am missing? Just seems like it shouldn't take this long, but I have pulled a lot of air out of it.

Guy at work told me to do it manually by filling the reservoir and loosening the banjo bolt on the caliper and pumping the brakes a few times.

Sorry for all the noob questions. I really can't afford the $170 the stealer wants. My bike is my daily driver and I need to get this on the road.

Last edited by BadDogBiker; 01-09-2019 at 06:55 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:12 PM
Backforty
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,696 Likes on 1,866 Posts

I should wait to post until I have my manual in front of me . When I changed the pads on my 2014 w/ anti lock brakes , I read to take care not to let the master cylinder run dry while bleeding. If air is introduced into the system, it will require a special process and equipment to remove the air from the system.

Will look it it up tomorrow, if I remember

Last edited by Backforty; 01-09-2019 at 08:18 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:18 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,946 Likes on 2,167 Posts

How much brake fluid have you used trying to rid the air? Are you sure you stopped the banjo bolt leak? It would seem you're still sucking air from somewhere. If you look at this diagram, you can see the brake line circuits. That should give you a clue as to what you're dealing with.

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....%20LINE%20(ABS)

Old 01-10-2019, 01:38 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,297 Likes on 2,353 Posts

I've heard of people tying the brake handle back overnight and allowing the air to travel up to the master cylinder. That work on my non ABS Dyna.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:40 AM
BigMike
Club Member
Received 1,570 Likes on 674 Posts

The dealer has a special tool to bleed the ABS. To my knowledge, it isn’t available to purchase the tool. You’re probably looking at a trip to the dealer.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:54 AM
Labrador
Road Master
Received 503 Likes on 260 Posts

The way that I bleed my brakes is:
-- I open the fluid reservoir and fill it
-- I connect the MityVac to the bleed screw
-- I open the bleed screw and pump the MityVac a few times then check the reservoir and put more fluid in it, pump a few more times and repeat until I have bled enough fluid from the unit and feel satisfied that all the fluid has been drained.

Make sure that when you connect the MityVac that you connect the hose to the bleed screw securely. You say that you are pulling a lot of air. It may be coming from the connection between the bleed screw and the hose. That is a common issue.

As far as the ABS, I doubt that any air got in it. To make sure, you can ride then make a few hard stops to engage the ABS, this will cycle the fluid in it. Do it a few times then go back and bleed the fluid again to displace any air that may have come from the ABS system.

Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
GalvTexGuy (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 06:30 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,946 Likes on 2,167 Posts
Thumbs down

If it's his daily rider, I suspect he got the brakes bled and he was good to go. Or, he thought he got all the air out and...

Old 01-15-2019, 10:51 PM
TheITMercenary
Former Sponsor
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by BigMike
The dealer has a special tool to bleed the ABS. To my knowledge, it isn’t available to purchase the tool. You’re probably looking at a trip to the dealer.
That used to indeed be the case (and was exactly the reason I created my product so that you do NOT have to visit the dealer ever again to bleed an ABS equipped Harley).

My product is in my signature link. Give us a look (and ask any questions as I love to help).

Thanks!

The following users liked this post:
nytryder (02-04-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 10:26 AM
MRPHS
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts

TheITMercenary do you have any customer reviews for this product?

Old 01-16-2019, 08:51 PM
TheITMercenary
Former Sponsor
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MRPHS
TheITMercenary do you have any customer reviews for this product?
Yes I do. Email us at: sales@infotechmercenary.com for a few references/reviews.

Also we have been busy providing products to many forum members here so I expect you will hear the good word shortly here as well!

Thanks for your interest and support!

Quick Reply: Possible air in ABS / bleeding question