General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advanced rideing practice

Old 01-15-2019, 05:24 AM
champ198
Tourer
Received 62 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Advanced rideing practice

so on the way to work today while going down the highway its cold here just got 8" of snow this past weekend and thinking how great it will be riding the bike to work it got me thinking. I have loved bikes for years, I used to race motorcross back when it was in my early 20s and after I got married the first time I got out of it when my kids came along. then a few years later I bought my first Harley. then do to a divorce I had to get rid of it.
now after almost 4 years I bought my Heritage this past Nov. With the weather we have I haven't had a lot of chance to do any riding but have got to go on a few small rides locally.

with that all said are there things that you all do to improve your riding ability. Practice so to speak, set up cones in a empty parking lot, do a slalom type practice at low speeds or anything like that to improve your riding ability. just anything to push youself to become a better rider.
was something I was just thinking about on my way to work this morning.

Old 01-15-2019, 05:40 AM
albngore
Road Master
Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts

Every year, when the weather permits riding, first thing I do is go to a nearby parking lot and practice slow speed maneuvers. I do the same thing periodically during the following months. I have been riding large Harleys for 40 years and I am good at it. Yet, especially after a seasonal layoff, everyone should practice before doing much else.

Anyone can ride at speed down the road. It is the slow speed movements that demonstrate how poor are most recreational riders.

Old 01-15-2019, 06:27 AM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 799 Likes on 500 Posts

My local HOG chapter here in Daytona, Fl. holds PLP (Parking Lot Practice) the first Sunday each month. We have any where between 20 to 30+ bikes and trikes show up. Riders are of all skills from brand new riders to very experienced/skilled riders. We have some good instructors including ex police motorcycle rodeo members. The skills one develops at these PLP's is invaluable. My only problem is it is only once a month.

I found a large parking lot of a Cinema in my area that is always empty until late in the morning when the matinee's start. I have set up my own practice course including Slalom, Circles, U-turns, Figure-Eights, etc. I use very cheap (100 for < $10 on line) bright orange socccer practice cones that are only about 1" tall.. They squash when you run over them, but pop back into shape easily. Not as good as big cones because they get moved easily (sometimes by the wind), but a lot cheaper and easy to carry on the bike, lay out and pick-up.

I try to get to the parking lot at least once a week when the weather permits. I will often stop at the parking lot prior to heading out on a morning ride. I have found this kind of pratice really hones your slow speed manuvering skills. I went from being unable to do a U-turn around a center medium with the far side of 3 traffic lanes to now do it comfortably in a 20 ft wide two lane road. You really learn how to coordinate the use of the Clutch, Throttle and Rear Brake.

The following users liked this post:
klap (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 07:16 AM
dceggert
Road Master
Received 495 Likes on 259 Posts

Check out Jerry Palladino (SP) or the "Ride Like a Pro" series on YouTube. If you like what you see there he has materials (DVD's and books) you can buy from his website. Lots of great tips.

There is also the MSF Experienced Rider Course you could sign up for. When I did my course I was a lone BMW rider in a group from a local HOG chapter.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:36 AM
flhxkiller
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I've always used tennis ***** cut in half for parking lot practice cones. They don't slide if you get a tire on them just pop out of the way. You can store a bunch of them in the container they come in when cut in half.

The following 2 users liked this post by flhxkiller:
Down South (01-15-2019), RAEVEN_2019_FLHX (01-16-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 08:24 AM
champ198
Tourer
Received 62 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by dceggert
Check out Jerry Palladino (SP) or the "Ride Like a Pro" series on YouTube. If you like what you see there he has materials (DVD's and books) you can buy from his website. Lots of great tips.

There is also the MSF Experienced Rider Course you could sign up for. When I did my course I was a lone BMW rider in a group from a local HOG chapter.
ill check out the videos you suggested.

I have a large church parking lot just up the street from me that is normally open other than on sundays.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:32 AM
PDB17UltraRG
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 773 Likes on 735 Posts

The more we ride these bikes at slow speeds the better are riding skills get better practice make perfect ride on.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:43 AM
vickon
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I also found tremendously helpful to watch the local PD officers when they train and ride. They used to practice on a empty lot in Miami Garden (Dade County) and I would just park outside and watch, learned a couple of things that way.
I've seen some officers do what looks impossible on a big bike but its just practice, discipline and physics.

klap (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 09:00 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 25,990 Likes on 11,040 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010AAA86
I also found tremendously helpful to watch the local PD officers when they train and ride. They used to practice on a empty lot in Miami Garden (Dade County) and I would just park outside and watch, learned a couple of things that way.
I've seen some officers do what looks impossible on a big bike but its just practice, discipline and physics.
To make low speed, full lock turns, you use the gray area in the clutch and throttle along with dragging the rear brake to maintain your balance. Head and eyes up, looking over your shoulder at the horizon is the secret to making full-lock, low speed U-turns. Look down, you go down. These are the basics in LEO motor training. If you can pass low speed stuff, you go on road rides.

Last edited by upflying; 01-15-2019 at 09:01 AM.
klap (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 09:17 AM
YZR
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,612 Likes on 825 Posts

Lots of great advice here. When it warms up near me I will head for the closest parking lot!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Advanced rideing practice