Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultraclassic stereo upgrade with a punch!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 05:58 PM
Superoofer420
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultraclassic stereo upgrade with a punch!

Hi all, new to the forum because I want to know a few things.

I want ant to do a massive upgrade to my 2014 Flhtk. I have lowers with the coolers. Can I put speakers in them?

Want to put put speakers in the bag lids. Do they work or waste of money?

Want to upgrade to a super loud system full of clear bass and able to just flat out F’n ROCK!

How many amps can I run? Where do I put them?

Budget isn’t really an issue, but I am doing it myself, and I don’t want to lose bag space.

What is the best investment with manufacture names and model numbers please.

Any extra notes / tips are appreciated!

-Brandon-

Old 01-16-2019, 06:06 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 715 Likes on 565 Posts

the search function here is your friend and there are lots of posts that cover the questions you have asked.
m

Old 01-16-2019, 07:00 PM
Superoofer420
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Marco, I tried that and your right. There are hundreds. Was looking to see if there was one guy that did it that is beside himself with his transformation and results. I’ve seen everything from deck replacement to amp in the right side bag.

Trying to to narrow it down.

Thanks for the advice my friend!

Old 01-16-2019, 07:33 PM
InthewindMN
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 237 Likes on 209 Posts

Everyone thinks their upgrade is awesome, until they hear someone else’s. My suggestion is to get out and hear some builds and go from there. You may be disappointed by what you find.

Old 01-16-2019, 08:04 PM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 126 Posts

Superoofer, I'm not an installer. Just a professional listener! The only question I can help with is lowers. I have lowers with wetheads too (2016 Limited Ultra), and Hogtunes now makes an adaptor to install a 6.5 speaker in the lowers. I'm having it done right now during the winter. Also, IMO, the search function is pretty useless. Ask away!

Old 01-16-2019, 08:19 PM
Budda109
Road Captain
Received 67 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Loss of bag space

Originally Posted by Superoofer420
Thanks Marco, I tried that and your right. There are hundreds. Was looking to see if there was one guy that did it that is beside himself with his transformation and results. I’ve seen everything from deck replacement to amp in the right side bag.

Trying to to narrow it down.

Thanks for the advice my friend!
You mentioned you did not want to lose bag space. But if you add lids on the bags and put an amp in the bags or tour pack you will lose bag space FYI. I have mine in the faring. and working on 6 speakers currently at 4. Not familiar with the lower faring pods on your bike. I have a 2011. Speakers seem to fit fine. Had to buy pods made to put speakers in. Looks nice. Cheap about $59. Have seen them for 98 to 55. Good luck.

Old 01-16-2019, 08:44 PM
Babyboy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 460 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Superoofer420
Hi all, new to the forum because I want to know a few things.

I want ant to do a massive upgrade to my 2014 Flhtk. I have lowers with the coolers. Can I put speakers in them?

Want to put put speakers in the bag lids. Do they work or waste of money?

Want to upgrade to a super loud system full of clear bass and able to just flat out F’n ROCK!

How many amps can I run? Where do I put them?

Budget isn’t really an issue, but I am doing it myself, and I don’t want to lose bag space.

What is the best investment with manufacture names and model numbers please.

Any extra notes / tips are appreciated!

-Brandon-

Welcome to the hunt for the perfect system.
As it was suggested get out and hit some areas around you to have a listen to some different systems.

For starters there are a few companies that are offering lower fairing 6.5 adapters/pods for the wetheads. There is a company that just released an 8 inch lower but NOT for the wethead as of yet.

As for wanting some killer bass, in order to achieve that goal you are going to have to give up some bag space and go with a minimum of a good 8 in each bag. There are a variety of speaker manufacturers that have products to achieve that goal. You also have to remember that you will lose some of the effective bass when you start rolling down the road.

Another alternative to putting speakers in the bags would be to go with a JL 8.8 in the speaker lids.

As for amps that is a matching game with speakers. Some amps work well with some speakers and not as well with others.

Old 01-17-2019, 01:25 PM
yooperhog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Babyboy
Welcome to the hunt for the perfect system.
As it was suggested get out and hit some areas around you to have a listen to some different systems.

For starters there are a few companies that are offering lower fairing 6.5 adapters/pods for the wetheads. There is a company that just released an 8 inch lower but NOT for the wethead as of yet.

As for wanting some killer bass, in order to achieve that goal you are going to have to give up some bag space and go with a minimum of a good 8 in each bag. There are a variety of speaker manufacturers that have products to achieve that goal. You also have to remember that you will lose some of the effective bass when you start rolling down the road.

Another alternative to putting speakers in the bags would be to go with a JL 8.8 in the speaker lids.

As for amps that is a matching game with speakers. Some amps work well with some speakers and not as well with others.
FrenchiM has a kick *** system with 6 speakers, minimal bag space loss with a pair of 8" inside, and this thing rocks.... 2 amps under the hood and a dsp.

Old 01-17-2019, 01:30 PM
Babyboy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 460 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by yooperhog
FrenchiM has a kick *** system with 6 speakers, minimal bag space loss with a pair of 8" inside, and this thing rocks.... 2 amps under the hood and a dsp.
I will have to agree
Frenchies system is a dam nice sounding setup for 6 speakers

Old 01-17-2019, 02:20 PM
FrenchieM
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 155 Posts

Thanks guys it does alright. My 8s hit hard and pretty low and very minimal bag space
taken up. Can’t load pics from phone so Pm me your email and I’ll send some of my bags

Quick Reply: Ultraclassic stereo upgrade with a punch!