General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When the "Experts" say it ain't gonna work.,,,

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 07:19 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts
Default When the "Experts" say it ain't gonna work.,,,

https://www.fool.com/investing/2019/...-livewire.aspx

Old 01-17-2019, 07:29 AM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,326 Likes on 10,702 Posts

HD guys are not dumb. 2nd guessing them (on delaying the release or under powering the bike) is not suggested I'd say.

Personally, I think electric bikes are just not motorcycle riding. I want to hear and feel the rumble. It is the classic look and feel that excites me.

If all there was are electric bikes, I seriously, seriously doubt I would own one.

The following 3 users liked this post by BuzzCap7:
nick@nite (01-19-2019), nytryder (01-17-2019), ole_phart (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 08:21 AM
CobraRacer
Cruiser
Received 104 Likes on 40 Posts

As I have said before, the Harley Davidson designers and marketing depts. have a mental illness where they believe that every new Harley Davidson young rider is crotch rocket based and therefore Harley Davidsons move into an electric motorcycle needed to look like a crotch rocket. If you go to any college town that has any student that is involved with the "green movement" they are going to be preppy looking and riding a high mpg scooter style motorcycle (or a scooter). A college student female is not leaving her job at Old Navy (for example) on her new $30,000.00 electric crotch rocket.

Harley Davidson needed to design an electric scooter and/or standard looking small motorcycle. In my research there are a large number of small companies that have made small numbers of crotch rocket looking electric motorcycles, but the largest number of electric motorcycles/scooters are the scooters sold in China.

I read on several forums where they were discussing the Firewire and several of the comments were they would have liked to of seen a touring style electric Harley Davidson motorcycle. Several people made comments on Harley Davidson should have started with an electric scooter like the BMW pictured.

Last edited by CobraRacer; 01-17-2019 at 08:23 AM.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:29 AM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 600 Likes on 351 Posts

if they go electric scooter, the obvious style choice would be to make it look like the old harley "topper". hipsters like the retro look stuff.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:34 AM
SpockJenkins
Tourer
Received 313 Likes on 129 Posts

The Motly Fool also assured everyone that Victory Motorcycles would put Harley Davidson out of business. They are the National Enquirer of invesment publications.

The following 7 users liked this post by SpockJenkins:
BelchFire (01-17-2019), mrmarklin (01-18-2019), Mxdad (01-18-2019), nytryder (01-17-2019), OKMICK (01-17-2019), ScottinAZ (01-17-2019), Wormjello (01-17-2019) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-17-2019, 10:00 AM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,121 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Originally Posted by BuzzCap7
HD guys are not dumb. 2nd guessing them (on delaying the release or under powering the bike) is not suggested I'd say.

Personally, I think electric bikes are just not motorcycle riding. I want to hear and feel the rumble. It is the classic look and feel that excites me.

If all there was are electric bikes, I seriously, seriously doubt I would own one.
I hear you, and I love rumbling around on my Harley's, but, you really should try one of the upper end electrics like the Zero SR or DSR. They hit with their full torque at zero RPM and just put a big smile on your face. You lose the rumble and the noise, but you feel so much closer to everything around you.

It's not the same experience as riding a Harley, but it still a great experience. Give it a try you might surprise yourself.

The following users liked this post:
L8Braker (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 10:02 AM
Stingray702
Road Master
Received 486 Likes on 240 Posts

I can't wait until the LiveWire is released..I want to ride one bad..I just hope the power and range is there, and the price isn't too high. I know that's like asking for peace in the middle east, but a guy can hope right!?

Old 01-17-2019, 11:08 AM
BelchFire
Received 5,156 Likes on 1,947 Posts

Spot on!

Originally Posted by Stingray702
I can't wait until the LiveWire is released..I want to ride one bad..I just hope the power and range is there, and the price isn't too high. I know that's like asking for peace in the middle east, but a guy can hope right!?
Well, you can hope for peace in the middle east, anyway ...

Old 01-17-2019, 11:25 AM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 497 Likes on 233 Posts

The Motley Fool commenting on Harley is like the Democrats commenting on Republicans (or vice versa). The "Fool" hates Harley and loves Polaris (they own their stock). While there might be some facts in what they say, they've been predicting the failure of Harley for years and way over blow the downside of anything Harley does.

Old 01-17-2019, 11:49 AM
TroubleHead Fred
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Originally Posted by bagga
if they go electric scooter, the obvious style choice would be to make it look like the old harley "topper". hipsters like the retro look stuff.
I wouldn't mind an e-scooter that looks like the Topper just to replace my 150cc scooter that I use when I RV camp just to run back and forth to the boat dock or the store. I would never give the kind of money HD would charge for something like that though.

I agree on the sound and feel of a bike being part of the experience, I also enjoy the smell of gas and oil that goes with I.C.E.'s. When I was young still living with my folks I got my first bike, a basket case. It was winter and the old man and me rebuilt it in mom's family room. She made us keep the room closed off because of the smell(and sight lol). I can still close my eyes and smell it all these years later.

Quick Reply: When the "Experts" say it ain't gonna work.,,,