Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin COMMANDER 2 TIRES (25 thousand miles)

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 05:28 PM
QAfred
Advanced
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Michelin COMMANDER 2 TIRES (25 thousand miles)

I am in the market soon for new tires and wondering if anyone has installed these? Michelin COmmander 2 tires.

They look great, good in dry and wet (unlike stock dunlops which suck in wet weather IMO, scary as a matter of fact as here in Florida they use base material that has a lot of sea shells in the asphalt and sweat some slimy oily **** and they will pucker your bung hole right up on turns) I use ME880's on my Beemer, R1200 C, and they are much better than Dunlop, but these Michelins claim they will provide double the mileage from any other tire on the market (25,000 miles on the back...wow! if true).

Also, I have no experience with the stealership installing anything but their OEM crappy Dunlops and now they have a Michelin too, but not this one. I am not even sure they will install walk in tires without raping me for same price as their stock crap. I might just remove wheels myself, install the front one for starters myself and see how it goes. I've done it myself on ME 880s without balancing- just line up dot on tire with shrader valve- the way it arrived brand new to me- and never had a problem.

https://motorcycle.michelinman.com/m...s/commander-ii

Old 01-17-2019, 05:39 PM
Harttoo
Road Master

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts

I have had Michelin Commander ll's on the last three bikes after the Dunlop's cupped.18,000 miles on the last bike before trade.They still looked good.Only 4,000 on the current set.Love these tires compared to Dunlop's. Grip the road instead of bouncing like the Dunlop's.

The following users liked this post:
QAfred (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 05:40 PM
AFSOC_Commando
Tourer
Received 134 Likes on 88 Posts

I don't believe 25K for a second on a Bagger..... Maybe a moped.

Only way to see that kind of mileage is to Darkside.

I am looking for a better tire then the Dunlop, I am on my third in the last 2 years. I upgraded to the American Elite and they are slick in the rain just like the stockers.

The better the grip the worse the mileage! I am at the point I am going to order a No-Mar and run Avons and just change the damn tires more frequently myself.

QAfred (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 05:43 PM
QAfred
Advanced

Originally Posted by Harttoo
I have had Michelin Commander ll's on the last three bikes after the Dunlop's cupped.18,000 miles on the last bike before trade.They still looked good.Only 4,000 on the current set.Love these tires compared to Dunlop's. Grip the road instead of bouncing like the Dunlop's.
Awesome info. Thanks! Did you have an Indy install them or did the stealership do it for you?

If I am going to install something myself they need to last as I am getting too old to wrestle tires on wheels myself.

Old 01-17-2019, 06:44 PM
QAfred
Advanced

Originally Posted by AFSOC_Commando

I am looking for a better tire then the Dunlop, I am on my third in the last 2 years. I upgraded to the American Elite and they are slick in the rain just like the stockers.

The better the grip the worse the mileage! I am at the point I am going to order a No-Mar and run Avons and just change the damn tires more frequently myself.
Yes, and that's sound logic, but I have always ran Micky's on my cars and pickups and they performed as advertised, plus HARTOO posts he got 18 k on a set and on a bagger, I assume, as that is his Avatar, so I am going to try the Commander 2's and see what happens.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:24 PM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by AFSOC_Commando

Believe it ... I got 28,000 on my first set of Dunlop’s on my 2015 FLHTK. 25,000 miles on my second set of American Elites. Would have gotten more but I damaged the tire hitting something in the road. I think the key is keeping your tire pressures right. I get bikes in the shop routinely with tire pressures around 20 lbs-psi. Not good.

QAfred (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 07:45 PM
talkingrock
Road Warrior
Received 421 Likes on 284 Posts

The dealer wanted $125.00 to install a non factory tire plus the cost of the tire for my rear wheel and a Indy shop installed it for much less , here’s a big thank you for pushing my business another direction, my original tire lasted 6000 miles now there’s a AE on the back wheel

QAfred (01-18-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 07:49 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,657 Likes on 6,424 Posts

I ran that tire a couple times and was pretty happy when I got 12K out of a rear.
Skip balancing and get ya some Ride On. Balances and very much helps prevent flats. I am a riding testimonial as to the flat prevention.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:27 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,741 Likes on 931 Posts

I’ve been running Commander II’s for several years now. They seem to wear well and handle well also.

I’m interested if anyone has tried the Bridgestone Battlecruise H50 tires. I read a review about them that was favorable, but real life experience is a much better test. They did compare them to the OEM’s and they out performed them in every category.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:34 PM
wmprof
Road Master
Received 1,262 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
I’ve been running Commander II’s for several years now. They seem to wear well and handle well also.

I’m interested if anyone has tried the Bridgestone Battlecruise H50 tires. I read a review about them that was favorable, but real life experience is a much better test. They did compare them to the OEM’s and they out performed them in every category.
I had around 20,000 on my Michelin Commander II s but they were starting to get scary in the rain. I replaced them with the Bridgestone battle Cruisers and it was a totally different bike no wobbling in the big sweepers. Probably just the difference between old tires and new tires though.

QAfred (01-18-2019)

Quick Reply: Michelin COMMANDER 2 TIRES (25 thousand miles)