Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Duals w Mags or GXSR front end with Mags on 2012 FXDB?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 11:36 AM
Valleyofthegun
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default HD Duals w Mags or GXSR front end with Mags on 2012 FXDB?

I recently posted about wanting to add dual discs and mags to my 2012 FXDB. I originally was looking at using all HD parts.
Then i was reminded by a fellow member who has a killer OCD/Monza front end that a GXSR front end is an option. I can't afford OCD/Monza but i see there is a complete GXSR fork set up for 250$ on ebay right now. The FXDL right side slider i will need is 217$ by it self.

Anyway, can anyone weigh in on this. Is a GXSR front end worth doing? How much of a GXSR front end can be used? Will ot bolt up or are new trees needed? Are new GSXR wheel mounts needed?
I have read all the threads i could find on tbe topic but still haven't found a thread that lays everything needed to make the conversion happen. I currently have 19f and 17t spoke wheels and I'm looking to convert to either 10 spoke or 13 spoke mags so i would want to run a GXSR front end with one of those two mags. I also.plan on adding risers, a pro taper style bar and a fairing in the future also. Judt figured i would mention it in case adding a GXSR front end complicates adding a fairing. I see lots of pics of guys who have done it. It's just a matter of how much $ and fabrication to get it done.
Any insight anyone can provide would be appreciated.

Old 02-12-2019, 11:46 AM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,344 Likes on 1,550 Posts

Are you talking just using the tubes, tubes down & wheel, or the entire front end? I would think you need to know tube size, length, and center to center. If center/center is narrower you should be able to space to correct, but if it's wider that is an issue.

Old 02-12-2019, 01:11 PM
Valleyofthegun
Cruiser

Truthfully, IDK yet. That the kind of things i am trying to find out. I have read many threads of people who have done it but i can't seem to find a detailed list of how it's done. My trees are 49mm so i wouldn't think i could use my stock trees with just the tubes because they are inverted. Aren't the legs like 50+mm in diameter?

Old 02-12-2019, 03:17 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Valleyofthegun
Truthfully, IDK yet. That the kind of things i am trying to find out. I have read many threads of people who have done it but i can't seem to find a detailed list of how it's done. My trees are 49mm so i wouldn't think i could use my stock trees with just the tubes because they are inverted. Aren't the legs like 50+mm in diameter?
So you need to get the dimensions of the frame/neck of the GXSR and compare that to your bikes dimensions.
YOU can google and find all the dimensions.
Anything can be done, it's just about how much alteration and fabrication vs. your skills and tools available.
You need to research all the #s, that's a big part of doing a project.

Old 02-12-2019, 07:07 PM
loopie
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

talk too cognitomoto they are experts in front end swaps

Old 02-12-2019, 09:01 PM
Dynaglide92
Road Master
Received 188 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Valleyofthegun

I recently posted about wanting to add dual discs and mags to my 2012 FXDB. I originally was looking at using all HD parts.
Then i was reminded by a fellow member who has a killer OCD/Monza front end that a GXSR front end is an option. I can't afford OCD/Monza but i see there is a complete GXSR fork set up for 250$ on ebay right now. The FXDL right side slider i will need is 217$ by it self.

Anyway, can anyone weigh in on this. Is a GXSR front end worth doing? How much of a GXSR front end can be used? Will ot bolt up or are new trees needed? Are new GSXR wheel mounts needed?
I have read all the threads i could find on tbe topic but still haven't found a thread that lays everything needed to make the conversion happen. I currently have 19f and 17t spoke wheels and I'm looking to convert to either 10 spoke or 13 spoke mags so i would want to run a GXSR front end with one of those two mags. I also.plan on adding risers, a pro taper style bar and a fairing in the future also. Judt figured i would mention it in case adding a GXSR front end complicates adding a fairing. I see lots of pics of guys who have done it. It's just a matter of how much $ and fabrication to get it done.
Any insight anyone can provide would be appreciated.

I feel like you’re way over your head. Gsxr forks are possible IF you know what you’re doing. No they won’t bolt on to your triple trees and no you can’t use a gsxr triple tree. You’ll need a custom triple tree made for your bike to accept gsxr forks and the tree has to bring the forks back to stock trail and rake or else you’ll be all over the place. Also wheels will have to be from a gsxr to be bolt on I’m sure someone can fab something to accept hd wheels. THEN when all that’s done the forks themselves will have to be rebuilt/revalved to a dynas weight +rider +riding style, if you don’t revalve the whole point of the upgrade will be null as the forks were meant for a 500 lb bike. I’m sure I’m missing stuff but it’s something you really need to pay attention too it’s your life on the line

Old 02-12-2019, 09:06 PM
Dynaglide92
Road Master
Received 188 Likes on 136 Posts

Typically most guys who run this setup are knowledgeable enough that where it is cost saving to them as they can fab stuff up themselves. If you lack the knowledge you’ll be sure to spend big money on one off parts to do what you want that it would have been just a couple dollars more to buy a bolt on setup. Are you really dead set on inverted forks? Ohlins nix 22s are a stock setup for under a grand! It’s what I run and I’m satisfied with the improvements over stock

Old 02-12-2019, 09:06 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dynaglide92

I feel like you’re way over your head. Gsxr forks are possible IF you know what you’re doing. No they won’t bolt on to your triple trees and no you can’t use a gsxr triple tree. You’ll need a custom triple tree made for your bike to accept gsxr forks and the tree has to bring the forks back to stock trail and rake or else you’ll be all over the place. Also wheels will have to be from a gsxr to be bolt on I’m sure someone can fab something to accept hd wheels. THEN when all that’s done the forks themselves will have to be rebuilt/revalved to a dynas weight +rider +riding style, if you don’t revalve the whole point of the upgrade will be null as the forks were meant for a 500 lb bike. I’m sure I’m missing stuff but it’s something you really need to pay attention too it’s your life on the line
Well there you have it. There are shops like Vulcan that probably have or can fab the Tree $500+, and yes the obvious proper tuning.
A better option might be cartridges for the bike you have, tuned to your weight and style of riding.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:30 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,384 Likes on 2,951 Posts

USD forks means large tubes in the triples. That means reduced turning radius in the real world. Do you want that?

Old 02-13-2019, 01:31 AM
Valleyofthegun
Cruiser

I appreciate everyone taking time to answer my questions. I wasn't dead set on running GXSR forks , i was just trying to figure out what all it involved. Soon after i posted i did place a call to Giga cycle. After only a minute or so of conversation i realized that to do it right there was no easier or chesper way. You live and you learn. I have heard of a lot of guys doing the conversion and since i have a conversion planned i figured i should at least look into it. The guy i sooke with said that guys do just bolt up complete GXSR front ends but the rake and trail sre totalky off which defeats the purpose in the first place because the bike would handle like ****..
I have desided just to go forth with my orginal plan and do a FXDL RS Slider along with some 14-17 fxdl mags. I actually ordered the slider today. I got plenty of time so im just going to wait until a good deal on mags presents itself. I already installed Race Tech Emulators springs 6 months back. They were a huge improvement.
I am still trying to decide if i want to go 2" over. I see there are 27.5" FXDWG 49mm fork tubes which would be 2" over. Does anyone know if they can be successfully used in fxdb mid gkide trees?

Quick Reply: HD Duals w Mags or GXSR front end with Mags on 2012 FXDB?