Softail LowRider vs FXDLS

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 09:16 AM
Badbastard
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Softail LowRider vs FXDLS

Opinions needed...

I'm trying to decide between a stock 2016 fxdls and a new fxlr (customization pending). Ive ridden both bikes and I'm torn between the two. What are people's opinions on this comparison? Not looking for a dyna vs softail debate. Just curious what the public consensus is. Both bikes can be had for around 15k, although the fxlr would involve quite a bit more in pricey mods. What do we think?

Old 03-18-2019, 09:46 AM
Bubby
Cruiser
Received 90 Likes on 49 Posts

Opinions will be many, and vary. I have and always will be partial to a Dyna. You need to ride them both again, then decide which one is best for YOU!

Old 03-18-2019, 09:57 AM
Badbastard
Cruiser

I have ridden them both and it's s a serious toss up. Really liked the smooth power delivery of the softail but the fxdls has dual discs and that TC rumble. The 110 gets super hot though. Generally felt like the softail handled better but the dyna is a better stock package. The fxdls is going to hold its value much better but the fxlr is an all around better ride. Idk. Its a hard decision.

Old 03-18-2019, 11:16 AM
slw210
Road Warrior

Received 901 Likes on 575 Posts

After riding several Dynas, Sport Glide, Low Rider Softail and a Breakout over the last couple of years, you see what I picked.

Old 03-18-2019, 12:20 PM
polbit
Tourer
Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

I looked at the FXDLS really hard because I love the looks, but in the end it couldn't (IMHO) touch the ride and handling of the new Softail. Like you said as well, the 110 gets really hot, and you can feel it. Then again, I'm really partial to the M8.

Good luck with the decision, they are never easy!

Old 03-18-2019, 02:09 PM
Mark Faulkner
Road Captain
Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

The new Softail chassis is a big improvement over the Dyna. The M8 is smoother than a TC, and as others have said, the 110 gets very hot.
That being said, when i traded my M8 114 Breakout i could have had a new Softail Low Rider or the Low Rider S, i went with the Low Rider S. I have no regrets and still believe i made the right choice. The new bikes might be better, but the Low Rider S is raw and much more exciting to ride.

Old 03-18-2019, 03:14 PM
AJ88V
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 214 Posts

I looked at it as 'skipping a generation' when going from my '03 Dyna to the '19 Low Rider.

Better chassis design. Integral cooling in the head. Internal engine dampening. Cooler engine.

And, while the rubber mounting of the Dyna is very good and provides for an enjoyable ride, those elastomeric mounts degrade and can induce dangerous coupling between engine vibes and chassis dynamics - at least it did on my Dyna. Easy enough to fix with new motor mounts or adding a linkage system like True Track, but not cheap either.

Old 03-19-2019, 10:39 AM
Badbastard
Cruiser

Any softail owners have issues with the single disc brake on the fxlr? The dual discs on the fxdls are definitely a bonus, but i haven't had the opportunity to go out and thrash a fxlr yet so I can't really compare. Also, is there a compatible hub for the fxlr that can take a 2 disc setup?

Old 03-19-2019, 11:33 AM
slw210
Road Warrior

Received 901 Likes on 575 Posts

IMHO, dual discs on these bikes are for show. A good single disc will stop as much as you'll ever need and is a good deal less unsprung weight. I was actually looking into removing a disc if I got a Dyna Lowrider, that's why I started looking more at the Super Glide and Wide Glides as well. I know my FXLR stops just great. Of coarse, I still remember Drum Brakes.

Old 03-19-2019, 12:03 PM
Mark Faulkner
Road Captain
Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

You'd have to be riding really hard to notice much difference between the single and dual discs. Brakes on the new Softails are actually pretty good, even the rear brake isn't too bad. Rear brake on my FXDLS is rubbish.

Quick Reply: Softail LowRider vs FXDLS