General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Bike For A Bad Back

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 07:47 PM
hdoilcan
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Bike For A Bad Back

Sold my Road King a couple years ago. I found it to me too much weight for my back to want to deal with. Now I decided I would like to ride agin but I don’t want to go with a touring model. I’m looking at a 2011 Wide Glide. Would a Wide Glide be recommend for a bad back or if not what other model?

Old 03-19-2019, 08:25 PM
robarosa
Road Master
Received 541 Likes on 383 Posts

A seat with backrest really helps with my back issues. There are many to go with. I went with
Mustang Wide Vintage Solo Seat with Driver Backrest.

Old 03-19-2019, 08:30 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

The new Softails are much lighter off the stand and from what I've read have better ride than the tourers. Try a Heritage out. And definitely a backrest!!!!!!

Old 03-19-2019, 08:33 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

Oh and my 2011 FXDC with Saddleman seat and backrest was all day comfort and I verified that many times. 25 year bad back sufferer here. Issue for you with the WG is forward controls. Super Glides with mids and highway pegs give you the ability to change positions many ways and lift up off the seat for jarring bumps. Forwards on WG not so much. Lowrider would be another good option.

Last edited by tnriverluver; 03-19-2019 at 08:39 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:39 PM
Big Mule
Road Master
Received 771 Likes on 381 Posts

I’ve never owned a dyna WG, but I ride a Softail Custom FXSTC with a king/Queen seat and a backrest. I also added a shotgun shock air ride, 14” apes, and a windshield.

I wish I could ride cross country, but I just don’t see that happening. I try to ride a couple days a week for a hour or two just to get some fresh air and therapy.

Good luck, and I hope you find something that works for you.

Old 03-19-2019, 10:00 PM
rufasim
Road Warrior
Received 155 Likes on 110 Posts

what are the causes for you bad back? Is it a muscle issue or did you dislocate a disc? Fused Vertebrae? Could your back problems be limited by strengthening your core? Motorcycle riding takes a lot more toll on your body compared to riding in a car or truck. Obviously the bike with the softest suspension will be best for jarring but they are the heaviest bikes. Good points given with a change of seat and adding a back rest.

Old 03-19-2019, 10:25 PM
Long lonesome highwayman
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,836 Likes on 2,363 Posts

Originally Posted by hdoilcan
Sold my Road King a couple years ago. I found it to me too much weight for my back to want to deal with. Now I decided I would like to ride agin but I don’t want to go with a touring model. I’m looking at a 2011 Wide Glide. Would a Wide Glide be recommend for a bad back or if not what other model?
Hard to say without knowing the specific back issue. When you say too much weight do you mean dealing with when stopped? If so, how is the seat height compared to your leg length? If the seat height is even slightly too high for the type of shoes or boots you wear, it's possibly going to be more uncomfortable moving or balancing the bike when stationary for some people compared to one with a lower seat height.

Old 03-20-2019, 07:45 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,377 Likes on 2,207 Posts

Originally Posted by tnriverluver
The new Softails are much lighter off the stand and from what I've read have better ride than the tourers. Try a Heritage out. And definitely a backrest!!!!!!
From someone with a bad back... Not all softails are the same.. My FB114 is a rolling brick but the Deluxe maybe the best 'light big bike' made.. I owned a WG, the forwards put a lot of weight on your lumbar region... The easiest bike I rode when my back was a mess was a T100.

Old 03-20-2019, 08:15 AM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member
Received 331 Likes on 289 Posts

Difficult question for the internet to answer.
It is a comfort/ pain negation decision for you.
My thoughts:
a) softer/ thicker seat - maybe custom made
b) back rest - perhaps
c) handle bar bend - your preference noting the "rider triangle"
d) foot peg position - forwards may not be best for your back.
e) longer suspension travel - with progressive rate springs.
f) wear a back support brace
g) Can OP desire a Sportster or must you have a "big twin"?
h) OP mentions weight of the motorcycle is why they "gave up" biking some years ago.
Dare I write, any Harley may not be a good choice if weight is the issue.

Good luck in your decision and with comfort.

Old 03-20-2019, 08:33 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,190 Likes on 5,617 Posts

As mentioned already- whatever you end up with get a drivers back rest. It will make all the difference in the world. I have had back issues for years and the back rest turns a 1 hour bike ride into an all day bike ride.

Quick Reply: What Bike For A Bad Back