General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm torn....upgrade my 03' Heritage to a newer Road King?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 10:51 PM
Silidons
Cruiser
Received 135 Likes on 54 Posts
Default I'm torn....upgrade my 03' Heritage to a newer Road King?

Alright, so I'm at a crossroads.

I have an 03' Heritage and I have customized it to my taste (see pic) sorry if it's huge idk why it did that.

I'm a decent sized dude (5'11'', 215lbs) and when my lady is on my back (she's about 120), the acceleration is pretty meh and cruising on the freeway for longer rides is pretty crappy because I'm winding out the engine pretty good. I also scape my boards pretty easily when going through the canyons.

I'm debating selling her (the bike not the lady) and getting a touring bike, specifically the Road King (103ci at least I'm thinking, with ABS). I love the more old school look etc. Should I just upgrade my suspension on this FLSTC or upgrade to a newer Road King? Has anyone else been in a similar situation? I want to start doing longer rides (say a state or two over) two-up, so it seems like going to a touring platform to me is a no-brainer...what the hell do I know though?

Thanks...
Page

Old 03-19-2019, 10:58 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 545 Posts

That’s a nice Heritage you have.

If it was me, I would make the jump to the RK. For two up riding, the touring platforms feel so much better. The suspension is better, the ride is more comfortable and spaced out, and not to mention going from the 88” to a 103”+ will make a huge difference.

Plus, you get to start a new project making it your own as you have the Heritage.

Maybe you can keep the Softail and ADD a Road King?

The following users liked this post:
Silidons (03-20-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 11:11 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,515 Likes on 1,302 Posts

5'11" is fine, but what is your inseam. I've had two friends who rode Heritages and were happy, then got a Road King and they have confidence issues at low speed, stopping and stopped. They were never as comfortable with the touring frame. One sold it, bought another heritage and is happy. One is still struggling with his decision. It is not a tall bike. But it is taller than the heritage. If you can flat foot the king and rock it forward and back 1 foot in both directions, then you have enough inseam. I love both bikes, but I'm an honest 31" inseam and the Road King is my choice.

If it fits, it will be a huge upgrade. If it does not fit, stay with the heritage.

Silidons (03-20-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 11:20 PM
Silidons
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Redbeard719
That’s a nice Heritage you have.

If it was me, I would make the jump to the RK. For two up riding, the touring platforms feel so much better. The suspension is better, the ride is more comfortable and spaced out, and not to mention going from the 88” to a 103”+ will make a huge difference.

Plus, you get to start a new project making it your own as you have the Heritage.

Maybe you can keep the Softail and ADD a Road King?
Thanks. Yeah I technically could keep the Heritage and get another RK, but I don’t like having money just sitting there not doing anything haha.
Originally Posted by son of the hounds
5'11" is fine, but what is your inseam. I've had two friends who rode Heritages and were happy, then got a Road King and they have confidence issues at low speed, stopping and stopped. They were never as comfortable with the touring frame. One sold it, bought another heritage and is happy. One is still struggling with his decision. It is not a tall bike. But it is taller than the heritage. If you can flat foot the king and rock it forward and back 1 foot in both directions, then you have enough inseam. I love both bikes, but I'm an honest 31" inseam and the Road King is my choice.

If it fits, it will be a huge upgrade. If it does not fit, stay with the heritage.
I’m a 32” inseam. My legs are pretty bent when flat footing my Heritage. I came from an SV650, the Heritage even took me a bit to get accustomed to and u-turn in traffic etc but now I do it easily. I like to train myself when I’m not comfortable on the bike.

I do love the look of the Heritage. I kinda wish I kept mine stock tbh. Well minus the bars, I love having Apes. I don’t like the new 2018+ ones, I’d get a 2017 or something if I got another Heritage.

Last edited by Silidons; 03-19-2019 at 11:21 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:22 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,165 Likes on 6,216 Posts

It looks like your bike has a lowering kit on it. Go back to standard height

Is your engine stock?

Old 03-19-2019, 11:58 PM
Silidons
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Prot
It looks like your bike has a lowering kit on it. Go back to standard height

Is your engine stock?
No lowering kit, that pic is just at a downward slope so it looks lower than it is. Uploaded another without bags on to show ya.

Stock engine, intake and pipes only. But these cholo’s don’t help any I’m sure.

Old 03-20-2019, 12:52 AM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,656 Likes on 3,223 Posts

You won't regret upgrading to the Road King. And, you can still keep the retro look

Silidons (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 01:08 AM
slodsm
Road Master
Received 353 Likes on 215 Posts

1, I love your heritage. Stripped down like in the last pic that is a freakin beautiful bike.

2, if the choice is between a softie and a touring bike, I'm always going to pick the touring bike. It's that much more comfortable.

You're still going to scrape, I have 13" shocks on my Ultra and no lowering kit and I drag the floorboards daily and the S&S crossover pipe when I get spirited. One of my exhaust clamps looks like you took a grinder to it. That said, it does ride night and day better than the softail I had previously and it's got more lean angle be85mpgfore scraping. I wouldn't go back to a softail for anything anymore unless it was an Evo to build into a bar hopper cruise around the town bike. 450 miles in a day on the softy was a chore, 450 on the Ultra is cruise control on, radio up, leaned back against the backrest and trying not to fall asleep as I eat up the interstate at 85mph.

Go buy the King!

Silidons (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 06:48 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,183 Likes on 5,610 Posts

I've owned 2 Road Kings and ridden a Heritage. The Heritage is nice but it just doesn't hold a candle to the King. In my mind the King just does everything better. I have a 30 inch in seam and I have no issues flat footing a RK and yes the King will still scrape the boards but any bike will if you're pushing it hard enough and the King scrapes later than the Heritage does so you can lean it further before hard parts start touching down. Two up is where the King really shines, mine has a 96 inch and there is plenty of power for two up so I'm sure a 103 would be even better. You will notice the weight on the King but only when backing it up and at very low parking lot speeds, but I got used to it really quick so you likely will too.
Go with a King, you wont regret it.

Silidons (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 06:55 AM
CyGlide
Road Captain
Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

I have a heritage and a streetglide. Streetglide wins hands down for full day rides. But I love my heritage for running around town and when my wife isn't with me. If you can swing both keep the heritage and get the RK. You will regret selling the Heritage.

Silidons (03-20-2019)

Quick Reply: I'm torn....upgrade my 03' Heritage to a newer Road King?