General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

@003 RK Engine Paint

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 04:18 PM
Harleyyac
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry @003 RK Engine Paint

Hi,
I have a few issues with the engine cosmetically. The Black paint is bubbling as is the chrome on the Rocker arm covers and the Tranny Cover.. Any tips on painting it black?
THx

Old 03-21-2019, 04:44 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,958 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Paint engine black or chrome covers or both? For chrome covers, I’d have them powder coated or replace if you want to keep chrome. For engine, HD sells rattle can paint for engine black.

Old 03-21-2019, 05:05 PM
Harleyyac
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. .The Tranny cover is easy the Rockers maybe I will do in the winter and just swap out with rechromed or new ones. Black paint in a few weeks.

Old 03-22-2019, 04:54 AM
Gas Smasher
Road Captain

Received 649 Likes on 280 Posts

Looks like you are in New Jersey. I bought a Fat Boy a while back that came from the coast and it had the same things going on. There was corrosion starting to work on the aluminum under the chrome and the paint. The engine showed it the most around the exposed edges of the cooling fins, but once I decided to repaint it I found way more than I expected. With a little scraping on bubbled areas like right along the cam cover joint and the lifter base joints, pretty big areas of the original powder coat came off. Still looked reasonably good, but it wasn't adhered to the case underneath. It turned out to be a much bigger project than I expected, but other than more disassembly and time than I expected it turned out really nice.

Like Road Dawgs recommends, replace the chrome covers or consider having them blasted and powder-coated. I just bought new covers. The engine I ended up stripping almost bare. It was the real pain in the *** part. Some of the original powder coat came off in big chunks, some was stuck down good and was hard to remove, especially in the cooling fins. I ended up using one of those oscillating tools like this

I took the longest saw blades I could find for it and ground them narrow, maybe a half inch wide at the tip. They worked really well in between the cooling fins getting the old powder coat and the corrosion off. Just be careful and don't let it did into the aluminum.

Repainted everything with the JP1 engine paint.

https://www.jpcycles.com/search/sear...ensionValueId=

I put everything back together with stainless 12 point bolts. It turned out good. I don't know any recommendations to protect it from happening again if your local conditions caused it. I bought mine in Texas and have it here, so going forward it won't be an issue again for me, but maybe someone has some advise about preventing it the future on yours.