Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dsr1

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 08:59 PM
Eric Steward
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Dsr1

Ok, guys
Has anyone figured out how to use the DSR1 ? trying to figure out where I have to set crossovers to make this thing sound some what better.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:48 PM
bdrummer0413
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric Steward
Ok, guys
Has anyone figured out how to use the DSR1 ? trying to figure out where I have to set crossovers to make this thing sound some what better.
Eric.. thats too vague of question.. thats like asking how to handle a woman...? lol... lets narrow it down...
1. which speakers do you have
2. what amps do you have

The following users liked this post:
-XX- (11-24-2022)
Old 04-16-2019, 08:52 AM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 416 Likes on 363 Posts

I was so confused by looking through the DSR1 app on my iPad I went with a simpler Arc unit. If you need 8 channels though the Arc just won't cut it.

Here is a link some folks have mentioned that breaks down the DSR1 setup. Maybe it will shed some light for you.

How to properly setup your DSR1 for Harley Davidson - The Definitive Guide

Old 04-16-2019, 09:03 AM
Eric Steward
Tourer

Originally Posted by Hoyt 1911A1
I was so confused by looking through the DSR1 app on my iPad I went with a simpler Arc unit. If you need 8 channels though the Arc just won't cut it.

Here is a link some folks have mentioned that breaks down the DSR1 setup. Maybe it will shed some light for you.

How to properly setup your DSR1 for Harley Davidson - The Definitive Guide
Yeah I tried that, but most of it was about Harley HU. little mention about aftermarket units. at the amp themselves , what do you suppose to put the gains and the crossover on, zero? I tried RF tech suppose, but they were no help.
Thanks

Old 04-16-2019, 01:45 PM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 416 Likes on 363 Posts

Eric I was told to set the gains of the amps without the DSP in the circuit, then plug up the DSP and try to tune the signal. Some folks like to leave the amp crossovers on full pass and set those points on the DSP settings. That way if the amp is hard to get to and you change speakers down the road all you have to do is tweak your DSP.

I don't know if that will work good for your setup but it might be worth a try. One school of thought is to use subtraction as well as addition on the EQ to keep from boosting or lowering the signal itself from what you originally had it set to.

For example in my case I needed to tone down the mid frequencies of my batwing fairing speakers so I subtracted from the middle a couple of DB then added on the low and high end a couple of DB to get the smiley face EQ curve I was looking for. When I just dropped the mid frequencies a bunch it didn't sound as good.

I'm not real slick on DSPs but that is what I did on my EQ and crossover settings and so far so good.

Old 04-16-2019, 02:28 PM
Eric Steward
Tourer

Originally Posted by Hoyt 1911A1
Eric I was told to set the gains of the amps without the DSP in the circuit, then plug up the DSP and try to tune the signal. Some folks like to leave the amp crossovers on full pass and set those points on the DSP settings. That way if the amp is hard to get to and you change speakers down the road all you have to do is tweak your DSP.

I don't know if that will work good for your setup but it might be worth a try. One school of thought is to use subtraction as well as addition on the EQ to keep from boosting or lowering the signal itself from what you originally had it set to.

For example in my case I needed to tone down the mid frequencies of my batwing fairing speakers so I subtracted from the middle a couple of DB then added on the low and high end a couple of DB to get the smiley face EQ curve I was looking for. When I just dropped the mid frequencies a bunch it didn't sound as good.

I'm not real slick on DSPs but that is what I did on my EQ and crossover settings and so far so good.
thank you, I will let you know how it turned out.

Old 04-20-2019, 12:33 AM
SledHeadEd
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You want to play pink noise with dsr1 hooked up. Set gains on amps to their recommended voltage using voltmeter and hu at 75%. You want to be on a hpf at 80hz or so. 24 drop off. Then you can set eq to where you want at that point, change timing and levels to individual speaks if desired.

Old 04-20-2019, 07:29 AM
Eric Steward
Tourer

Originally Posted by SledHeadEd
You want to play pink noise with dsr1 hooked up. Set gains on amps to their recommended voltage using voltmeter and hu at 75%. You want to be on a hpf at 80hz or so. 24 drop off. Then you can set eq to where you want at that point, change timing and levels to individual speaks if desired.
Thank you. This is what I was looking for......

Old 04-20-2019, 10:40 AM
Budda109
Road Captain
Received 67 Likes on 61 Posts

I have the DSR-1 . Took me 3 weeks to figure it out. Cross overs now make sense and the equalizer is fun to play with. Credit goes to Tailwind and USAProud they helped me figure it out. What speakers you have is important because you can set it up by those spec’s . I just put some mm1 652 speakers in the rear Set it on high pass, those speakers have a 40 to 40k response for crossover. So I set it to 40 to catch anything the speaker can handle if that makes sense. Than played with the slope 12,18,24 as to witch one sounded better to me. Hope this helps. I used band pass on my mids because the crossover is tighter. Those are I think 40 to 5k? I’d have to look. Looked up a 31 band equlizer on line and played mostly with the vocal slides and moved everything else little by little and still playing.

Old 04-20-2019, 10:52 AM
Eric Steward
Tourer

Originally Posted by Budda109
I have the DSR-1 . Took me 3 weeks to figure it out. Cross overs now make sense and the equalizer is fun to play with. Credit goes to Tailwind and USAProud they helped me figure it out. What speakers you have is important because you can set it up by those spec’s . I just put some mm1 652 speakers in the rear Set it on high pass, those speakers have a 40 to 40k response for crossover. So I set it to 40 to catch anything the speaker can handle if that makes sense. Than played with the slope 12,18,24 as to witch one sounded better to me. Hope this helps. I used band pass on my mids because the crossover is tighter. Those are I think 40 to 5k? I’d have to look. Looked up a 31 band equlizer on line and played mostly with the vocal slides and moved everything else little by little and still playing.
Ok, thanks ........anymore advice is welcome.....oh, what did you put your gains and frequency on the amp itself?

Quick Reply: Dsr1