Panhead A place to talk about Panhead motors.

My new 62 Duo Glide

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 12:59 PM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 5,726 Likes on 2,469 Posts
Default My new 62 Duo Glide

Ive wanted a pan for a while and Ive been watching them on ebay, certainly nothing in the local classifieds. A few people knew I wanted one and I was told about this one Sunday night that was available but not advertised. I looked at it yesterday and made the deal last night and brought it home this morning! 20 mins from my house. You just never know whats tucked away in the garage down the street.

I know its not 100% correct and for the most part know whats wrong but its an honest bike and the belly numbers match. The anti theft codes both start with an A on the frame and the gearbox. I have tons of pics so Ill add more later. I need to address some items, hasn't been on the road in 27 years but I did hear it run last night.

Feel free to pick it apart like my 66 was, it'll be an education.

Im super excited!

The following 12 users liked this post by hellonewman:
62 Pan Shovel (10-02-2020), Beast71 (04-01-2020), DanDeleted (03-23-2020), Gearhead88 (09-07-2020), Harfar (10-15-2019), Kevin714 (01-20-2020), Long lonesome highwayman (01-22-2020), perki48 (03-18-2020), pgrchaplain (09-08-2019), RENARELLO (06-12-2020), Seadog! (10-26-2020), Spivitz (09-08-2019) and 7 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-16-2019, 01:15 PM
Kawickrice
Elite HDF Member
Received 3,247 Likes on 1,517 Posts

I love it. I to want a pan but not just yet. Congrats. Did I say I love it?

Old 04-16-2019, 04:59 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,895 Likes on 2,551 Posts

Now I am jealous. I want a Duo Glide, and I want one with a tank shift. Hen's teeth and all of that, but they are out there. Had a guy offer me one at Oley last year, original tank shift bike that had been converted to foot shift. Was not ready to make the plunge, maybe next year. Congrats and good luck.

Old 04-16-2019, 05:58 PM
hellonewman
Club Member

Thank you,

I was told it may have been a cop bike but looking inside the left tank I see no remains of tank shift bungs. Console has no neutral light, has a damper on the tree and the front brake cable tube looks too long but has been bent to go over the fender. Who knows? Not sure how I could ever find out. Original owner is dead and Im owner number 6.

Old 04-16-2019, 06:13 PM
kel03
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,044 Likes on 4,356 Posts

Nice find, enjoy.

Old 04-16-2019, 06:32 PM
hellonewman
Club Member

Here's what I know is wrong:

Obvious stuff like the chrome light and plate bracket (under the bracket full of lights). Lower light.
Chrome oil tank, chrome repop tool box, chrome oil lines I think and filter.
Popsicle pedal should be bicycle pedal, maybe a black kicker arm? Rear pegs wrong?
Foot boards, air cleaner cover is chrome not stainless and has no cleaning instructions. Other small chrome do-dads.
Wrong bags, guards, exhaust.
Chicken foot was an option.
Repop speedo, goofy wrap around the cables.
Regulator is on the wrong side and converted to 12V

The following users liked this post:
CanadianRocky (10-20-2020)
Old 04-17-2019, 12:18 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,210 Likes on 1,480 Posts

Obvious stuff like the chrome light and plate bracket (under the bracket full of lights). Lower light.
Is there a 2nd light of some sort below the rear fender?

Got my oil lines in correct finish from this guy https://www.denniscorso.com (think I mentioned him re: your Shovel build)

Popsicle pedal should be bicycle pedal, maybe a black kicker arm? Rear pegs wrong?
Yes on pedal, and black kicker arm. Passenger pegs and mounting brackets are incorrect.

Foot boards, air cleaner cover is chrome not stainless and has no cleaning instructions. Other small chrome do-dads.
Footboards and pads are 66; yours need to be the half moon. This guy has some nice repo stuff https://deluxehdrestorations.com I used his pads for my 49 EL. Hard to tell the differenence overall from OEM ones. Think I took some pics. I find them I'll post them.

Ok...yu got me. 1st time I've seen something like that.

Fortunately correct speedo for these years are more common than not (tho just checked the flea and there are none; over last 3 weeks i have seen 5 up for bid). The goofy plastic wrap around black cables was a popular dress up option.

Think I may have a 6-volt genny but not sure of correct application. Know its a model 58 something. Also have the right side regulator mount and Bosch regulator. I'll dig those out.
Know folks get hung up on the whole thing with points and condenser. That said you might check this guy out. Drop in electronic system and you cannot tell unless you pull the cover http://www.ebeyond2000.net/quickstart.html

Few other things I noticed after a quick look.....

Chrome swing arm and swing arm bolt
Tranny filler plug
Acron cap nut on fuel shut off valve + acorn cap nuts on lots of different areas
Grips
Rear brake pedal pad is 67 and later
Can't tell if rocker cover screws are 1/4" hex hd but should be
Exhaust clamps should be stainless (looks like they might be)

What the heck is the cable/tube running down the right side of the bike, travelling just above the horn and disappearing behingd the carb?
Think that the lack of a neutral light on the dash cover went with the tank shift models.

Looks like he chewed the heck out of the clips to secure the pushrod covers.

Your heads appear to match what Palmers states about casting and date codes on the heads. Should be some date code numbers for your cylinders as well.

Last edited by panz4ever; 04-17-2019 at 12:47 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by panz4ever:
Architect (04-17-2019), RENARELLO (06-12-2020)
Old 04-17-2019, 05:07 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,526 Likes on 2,865 Posts

nice find one more and you end up in divorce court or you will be spending 10 Gs on counter tops that are incredibly important and then she will see the hall way runner rugs look oldish -- so every room in the house needs to be changed

The following 2 users liked this post by johnjzjz:
RENARELLO (06-12-2020), TwiZted Biker (04-20-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 05:41 PM
hellonewman
Club Member

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
you will be spending 10 Gs on counter tops that are incredibly important and then she will see the hall way runner rugs look oldish -- so every room in the house needs to be changed
Im good with that! In fact Ive been doing all of that in advance the last couple of years. Wainscotting in the hall, added a loft over a garage and working on a new staircase in a better location in the house. Its how I spend my weekends.

Old 04-17-2019, 05:48 PM
hellonewman
Club Member

Originally Posted by panz4ever

Is there a 2nd light of some sort below the rear fender?

**Yes that light is bolted to a plate thats welded to the cross bar that connects the bag brackets at the bottom.

Got my oil lines in correct finish from this guy https://www.denniscorso.com (think I mentioned him re: your Shovel build)

***Ill go with those this winter.

Yes on pedal, and black kicker arm. Passenger pegs and mounting brackets are incorrect.

****put the 65 down boards on that came off my 66 and removed the pegs and brackets this afternoon

Footboards and pads are 66; yours need to be the half moon. This guy has some nice repo stuff https://deluxehdrestorations.com I used his pads for my 49 EL. Hard to tell the differenence overall from OEM ones. Think I took some pics. I find them I'll post them.

Ok...yu got me. 1st time I've seen something like that.

Fortunately correct speedo for these years are more common than not (tho just checked the flea and there are none; over last 3 weeks i have seen 5 up for bid). The goofy plastic wrap around black cables was a popular dress up option.

John Bordas has my 66 speedo for a restore, Ill see if he has one like it for the 62 otherwise Ill keep looking

Think I may have a 6-volt genny but not sure of correct application. Know its a model 58 something. Also have the right side regulator mount and Bosch regulator. I'll dig those out.
Know folks get hung up on the whole thing with points and condenser. That said you might check this guy out. Drop in electronic system and you cannot tell unless you pull the cover http://www.ebeyond2000.net/quickstart.html

Few other things I noticed after a quick look.....

Chrome swing arm and swing arm bolt
Tranny filler plug
Acron cap nut on fuel shut off valve + acorn cap nuts on lots of different areas
Grips
Rear brake pedal pad is 67 and later
Can't tell if rocker cover screws are 1/4" hex hd but should be
Exhaust clamps should be stainless (looks like they might be)

**** I have a spare arm in black, the chrome bolt bothers me and I will replace it as I did on my 66.
Wasnt sure about the trans plug, ordered a replacement fuel shutoff for now so I can ride but will get an original at some point
What grips should it have? Smooth like the 66?
Rocker cover screws are hex bolts.

What the heck is the cable/tube running down the right side of the bike, travelling just above the horn and disappearing behingd the carb?

**** its the I.V. line I used to run the bike without filling the tanks. Tanks need cleaning and the carb had just been rebuilt.

Think that the lack of a neutral light on the dash cover went with the tank shift models.

Looks like he chewed the heck out of the clips to secure the pushrod covers.

Your heads appear to match what Palmers states about casting and date codes on the heads. Should be some date code numbers for your cylinders as well.
Thanks for the input!

Quick Reply: My new 62 Duo Glide