Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PM Floating Rotor Super Loose. Break?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 01:37 PM
TVagee
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default PM Floating Rotor Super Loose. Break?

I have a PM 13 inch floating rotor has a lot play and it has got so bad that it makes a loud rattling noise at idle. Mine has about 30k miles on it and I was going to just buy a new one but they are $430 and they don't make my style anymore, so it will take a couple of months to have them make one. Has anyone every heard of them breaking? Any idea on how loose is too loose?

View this post on Instagram

Last edited by TVagee; 04-18-2019 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-18-2019, 01:58 PM
Cogswell
Road Captain
Received 261 Likes on 126 Posts

The rotor manufacturer should have a service limit for wear available on each model rotor they produce. Look on their web page or call their technical department.

Old 04-18-2019, 02:03 PM
ew25950
Road Master
Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts

That looks very dangerous, can you tighten them? Assuming you called PM to get the lead time. Wondering if they had any comments except the lead time.

Old 04-18-2019, 02:28 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,242 Likes on 808 Posts

If you're talking about side to side play, a "lot" can be tolerated. Various manufacturers even brag about how loose their pins are, how much the rotor can move around side to side, and how noisy is kewl. But, side to side flopping around of the rotor can push the pads back in the calipers, causing long brake lever motion in order to actuate the brakes. The more the rotor can flop around, the more it can drive the pads back and the longer the brake lever motion.

If you're talking about laterally or rotationally, there usually is very little play in this direction. This is where you can indeed start breaking things, like you could if you had loose rotor bolts. The shock of braking could, eventually, sheer things. It can also cause weird braking and weird braking feel as the rotor goes under the pads differently by not being centered and stable.

Old 04-18-2019, 02:54 PM
TVagee
Cruiser

I called and they pretty much want to sell me a new rotor. I know they are in the selling business, but I had sport bikes with dual floating front rotors and never really worried about them. I think I'm going to go ahead and order one, but just wondering if anyone has every broken one? Since I'm still going to be riding while I wait on the new one. They don't have any service limits for wear, unfortunately, and they are already as tight as you can get them.

Old 04-18-2019, 03:01 PM
TVagee
Cruiser

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
If you're talking about side to side play, a "lot" can be tolerated. Various manufacturers even brag about how loose their pins are, how much the rotor can move around side to side, and how noisy is kewl. But, side to side flopping around of the rotor can push the pads back in the calipers, causing long brake lever motion in order to actuate the brakes. The more the rotor can flop around, the more it can drive the pads back and the longer the brake lever motion.

If you're talking about laterally or rotationally, there usually is very little play in this direction. This is where you can indeed start breaking things, like you could if you had loose rotor bolts. The shock of braking could, eventually, sheer things. It can also cause weird braking and weird braking feel as the rotor goes under the pads differently by not being centered and stable.
Thanks for your comment. That does make sense. It does move more front to back than it does side to side.

Old 04-18-2019, 03:26 PM
TVagee
Cruiser

They didn't care much for my Instagram video, so I took it down in hopes to get a better deal. Told them I'm not apposed to getting a different style rotor if I can save some money. I don't think it will bother me too much if it doesn't match the wheel anymore.

Old 04-18-2019, 07:20 PM
TVagee
Cruiser

They have this one in stock. I feel it flows with my wheel pretty good and seems like the force of the caliper will be more evenly distributed over the entire rotor. Just wonder if when I get it on I will just wish I waited on one to be made.

Last edited by TVagee; 04-18-2019 at 07:34 PM.
Old 04-19-2019, 04:33 PM
TVagee
Cruiser

Bump. Has anyone heard or have broken one of these floating front rotors?

Old 04-19-2019, 05:11 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,450 Posts

Originally Posted by TVagee
they have this one in stock. I feel it flows with my wheel pretty good and seems like the force of the caliper will be more evenly distributed over the entire rotor. Just wonder if when I get it on I will just wish I waited on one to be made.
looks like it was made for that wheel.

The following users liked this post:
TVagee (04-20-2019)

Quick Reply: PM Floating Rotor Super Loose. Break?