Sponsored by:

Cam and confused

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 08:43 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,572 Likes on 1,524 Posts
Default Cam and confused

I've spent a couple of weeks researching a cam job for the cvo 117 and my brain is scrambled. I've been talking to very well known reputable shops and they all tell me something different about what I need and what works best. It seems most shops want to push the cam that they seem to have a deal with. Speak with a shop and seem to get a very good straight answer and then the next shop says oh no that will perform poorly, you need this cam. I only want to do this once but I feel completely lost with all the different info I've received. Guess the point of this post was to just vent my frustration. Lack of knowledge is my enemy here it seems.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:51 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 412 Likes on 250 Posts

Call Fuel Moto, they know their stuff.

Old 04-18-2019, 09:59 PM
yzernie
Road Captain
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

IMO, the bottom line is where do you want to get the performance gains from the cam. For example...for my 19 RGU, HD offers a torque cam and a power cam. For the kind of riding I do, 90% highway/freeway riding and am usually cruising down the highway from 2800-3300rpm. The power cam was a better choice for me because it delivers the most usable power right in the rpm areas I ride....from about 2200-5000rpm. If you like to lug the engine then a torque-ier cam might be a better choice for you.

There are many cams available from both HD and aftermarket that will fit your needs. You'll find good and bad reviews on every one of them because performance goals are subjective. Hard to go wrong with any name brand cam but I personally like S&S cams and have had them in a couple different bikes. One bike I sold to my buddy has over 100k on an S&S 510C cams.

Old 04-18-2019, 11:50 PM
Hairy Larry
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Received 4,603 Likes on 3,218 Posts

Have seen the cam testing thread from $tonecold and Steve Cole?
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwa...m-testing.html

Have you see the cam shootout from HD Cool Springs on YouTube.

Most people with baggers including me are opting for the torque cam and there is not a lot of difference between them as you can see from the testing.

Old 04-19-2019, 12:41 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,139 Likes on 6,210 Posts

You also have to ask if you want to stay warranty compliant, which means using the screaming eagle tuner and a Harley cam or not worry about warranty and get bigger gains using aftermarket tuner and cam.

A very popular cam is the RS468 but as has been stated, your riding style, type of riding, rpm range you usually ride in, two up or solo with a light or no load, terrain, etc.

You also want to match other components to work with the cam you choose. FuelMoto has a very good reputation and are very knowledgeable and will make recommendations based on what you describe as wanting and factors I have mentioned.

Most people realistically benefit from a low to mid rpm cam that focuses on torque instead of s cam that makes big horsepower close to red line while delivering very little at low rpm.

What cam is right for you? Well what kind of ice cream is the best?

The following users liked this post:
PFWiz (04-19-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 01:40 AM
MTBIG G
Road Warrior

Received 969 Likes on 556 Posts

Quik. I had the same problem trying to decide on my setup. Talked to several shops, experts, vendor, read, watched vids, etc... I was torn between the tman 200 or 216-2, wm8 22x, s&s 475, and rs 468. Knowing my riding style, not a lugger, I was leaning hard toward the 475 or the tman 216-2. Of course I ended up changing my mind for various reasons and went with the 22x with zero regrets. With the right exhaust, I'm certain you'll be more than happy with the 117 running any of these cams. My best advice is to choose 1 and don't look back.

Old 04-19-2019, 03:52 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,829 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Originally Posted by Quik
I've spent a couple of weeks researching a cam job for the cvo 117 and my brain is scrambled. I've been talking to very well known reputable shops and they all tell me something different about what I need and what works best. It seems most shops want to push the cam that they seem to have a deal with. Speak with a shop and seem to get a very good straight answer and then the next shop says oh no that will perform poorly, you need this cam. I only want to do this once but I feel completely lost with all the different info I've received. Guess the point of this post was to just vent my frustration. Lack of knowledge is my enemy here it seems.
You are going to get the same run around here.

Old 04-19-2019, 06:16 AM
RinTin
Tourer
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Quik
I hear what you are saying, and some of that is typical. This is where Fuel Moto shines. They sell just about every cam, and have even done extensive cam testing for us. Their primary interest is to give you what you want. Note: What that means to one person can mean something different to another. Tell them where you are looking for power (low RPM, Mid, High ect), they will deliver. Me, I want as much torque down low as I can get. From there it's all gravy. I am just about ready to modify my 2018 CVO Limited and have no doubt where I need to go for advice, parts and or work. Not to mention hands down, they offer the best "after sale" customer service.

Last edited by RinTin; 04-19-2019 at 06:55 AM.
Old 04-19-2019, 06:22 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

Personally I've bought the S&S 475 cam and also have the S&S 2-n-1 to go on my bike as well. Can't wait to see what it will do once all is installed and tuned up with a PV tuner.

Old 04-19-2019, 06:27 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,720 Likes on 1,546 Posts

Originally Posted by Hairy Larry

Have you see the cam shootout from HD Cool Springs on YouTube.
I really liked this video; didn't know it existed. Thanks for posting it!

Quick Reply: Cam and confused