General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Dumped it" this afternoon...

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 03:14 PM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 17,574 Likes on 9,799 Posts
Default "Dumped it" this afternoon...

I wasn't going to post this as it is somewhat embarrassing, but not really. I feel maybe sharing these stories may somehow help other riders, so, here goes. I headed out for a ride this afternoon, well right around 12-1230 to be exact, I am in Pa. so I checked the weather, and knew the rain would be 'finishing up" by then. I had a "destination" ride which means I had somewhere to go, about 1 hour from home each way, two lane state highways combined with "back roads" About halfway into the ride, I was being followed by a cager, not too close, but they were back there, and I knew it,so I thought to myself, "I had better do the speed limit at least so they dion't get too impatient. Anyway, I am on back roads, while ther cager "stayed back" I noticed at every stop sign they were right there on my *** pretty quickly, I had mad a left turn, followed by a right, and I remember thinking "damn" this cager is going the way I am going". Anyway, to the incident, I am cruising the "speed limit" on a back road, I come to a curve to the left with a slight down grade, I downshifted, because, that is what I usually do to slow down for the turn, the road was wet and "slimy" so, I felt the rear tire slide out a bit, after this, not sure if I braked or what, but I felt I was too fast in the turn, and was about to go off onto the shoulder. There was nothing ion the shoulder, just grass, no trees, poles or anything solid to hit thankfully. I remember thinking" ok were going off the road, ride through it and keep the bike up" I went off into the grass, but due to the rains,,it was soft and muddy, the bike went down quickly, I think the front end went right down because of the mud as I don't remember braking . The bike went down and to the right, I separated from the bike and went left, partially on the blacktop.* I rolled once or twice, got my bearing and stood up quickly to get out of the road. The cager was still a way back, slowed down, passed by, and kept on going. I am not saying cagers are obligated to stop, but that's what happened. A few things, I remember being "fixed" on the shoulder of the road visually. I remember from my training that you go where you are looking, maybe I could have done something different there, like kept my head up and rode through the turn. A nice young 20 something woman came by asked if I needed help, I was in "adrenaline" modes said,"no, thank you". I tried to lift the Super Glide up using that "but in the seat push with your leg"s technique, but it was so muddy my feet wouldn't plant. A second young woman stopped, and i said "I need help lifting it, think you can do it" She helped me get the bike up, told me she had a V-Star, and said she knows what its like to dump a bike., So, Millennials, give them a break, two of them offered to help me out today, and one actually did I had the bike stood up, gaining my bearing and a fella in a Ford pickup about my age stopped and checked on me. There are still some good people out there, but still others will drive right by. The damage? not much to me, I thought I felt a "road rash " on my hands instantly, but was wearing "cutoff finger " gloves, no bums , no bruises, more achy from trying to lift that Dyna myself, that is a hopeless cause by the way,its always a two man deal Im thinking. The bike" My shifter peg is bent, ny saddlebag tweaked, and, because it went "shiny side op" in mud, I'm thinking nothing a little cleaning/detailing wont cure. I finished out my ride, I didnt get back on and head home, the bike ran good, and it got better out there as the roads dried out. Oh and I didn't worry no more about "going the speed limit" for the cager. I know I made more than one mistake, but lettin

g that cager get in my head was where it all started.

The following users liked this post:
RMcCord (04-20-2019)
Old 04-20-2019, 03:21 PM
mskirwin
Club Member
Received 1,449 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Glad you’re ok, bike can be fixed. Always watch the curves after rain fall. �� especially in PA...

Old 04-20-2019, 03:31 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,745 Likes on 18,544 Posts

Ouch ... you'll be sore in the morning ... Ibuprofen is in the medicine cabinet ... Glad no major injuries.

Old 04-20-2019, 03:38 PM
crtfibl
Supporter
Received 8,375 Likes on 2,803 Posts

Glad you are OK. Thanks for sharing, as a reentry rider (after 50 years), I know I still have a LOT to learn, and posts like this are helpful.

Old 04-20-2019, 03:45 PM
PCboiler
Road Captain
Received 300 Likes on 190 Posts

Bummer dude... Glad nothing major hurt. Agree, you may feel it in the morning, we weren’t built to take pavement tumbles.

Take care
pc

Old 04-20-2019, 03:48 PM
Oko
Supporter
Received 3,819 Likes on 1,438 Posts

Beat the shifter straight, hose it off and go back out.
Glad ur okay. At least you didn’t hit any PA hooved IED’s like deer or Elk.

Old 04-20-2019, 04:07 PM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 664 Posts

Glad you lived to tell about it. I hate feeling pushed to go faster when somebody is behind me. I usually pull over at the first opportunity and just let them go by.

The following 3 users liked this post by deadhawg:
Bama Lee (04-20-2019), OkieBill (04-20-2019), shorelasHD (04-21-2019)
Old 04-20-2019, 04:11 PM
Rick58
Road Warrior
Received 325 Likes on 208 Posts

Glad you're OK, take it easy for a few days and shake it off.

Old 04-20-2019, 04:16 PM
Tarkus60
Road Warrior

Received 303 Likes on 218 Posts

Dont ever worry about a cager!!!!
Ride what ever speed is safe for the road.

The following users liked this post:
pgrchaplain (04-21-2019)
Old 04-20-2019, 04:21 PM
CrBear
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,983 Likes on 1,656 Posts

Glad you're Ok brother. When I read rain and grass..I figured it wasn't a great ending. But definitely sounds fixable. I hope you got those Sweet Girls Number! Ha
I've always said, if my bike goes down, I'm getting a girl to pick the damn thing up, like they do in the Harley demonstrations !
Thanks for sharing, there's always something to learn.
And don't be afraid to wave then around.

Last edited by CrBear; 04-20-2019 at 04:22 PM.

Quick Reply: "Dumped it" this afternoon...