Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 Ultra Classic

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 09:07 AM
UltraDu
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 02 Ultra Classic

Hello everyone -

This is my first post and I hope I've put it in the right place. I've been looking to pick up an Electra Glide - preferable an Ultra and I found one that is an 02 with 80 thousand miles on it. Seller says he put new cam tensioners on at 60K. Is there anything I should know/ask? I'm relatively short at 5'9'' - but I think that won't be an issue. I am a little concerned about the mileage but I really don't know how long the expected life is. Thank you for your input..

Old 04-21-2019, 09:18 AM
PDB17UltraRG
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 773 Likes on 735 Posts

The miles are too high for me let him show you repair cost and the bills on the repair don't just take his word on that i would require proof. Just stop looking right now go to your nearest Harley Dealership and do some test riding find the bike that fits you first then go find your ride there a over load of used bike on the market Harley Davidson has flooded the market with bikes. Its a buyers market out here for used bikes take your time look around and fine the right bike that fits you.

Old 04-21-2019, 09:27 AM
cprhed
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,065 Likes on 614 Posts

Bigger question. What's your budget? It is a buyer's market right now. Lots of deals to be found if you take a little time and are willing to travel 100 mile.

80K is nothing if the maintenance record is solid. Otherwise $3k

Old 04-21-2019, 09:40 AM
UltraDu
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This one is in my budget - he has it at 5850 right now.

Originally Posted by cprhed
Bigger question. What's your budget? It is a buyer's market right now. Lots of deals to be found if you take a little time and are willing to travel 100 mile.

80K is nothing if the maintenance record is solid. Otherwise $3k

Old 04-21-2019, 09:40 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,401 Likes on 4,012 Posts

'02 is a solid engine if the tensioners are addressed and the maintenance up to par..... 80k is high, but if the price is right, and if it has been taken care of, there will be many more miles on it.....

Addressing the tensioners on an engine of that vintage is an absolute necessity. 80k miles is a little long to wait. I would insist on some kind of receipts for the tensioner repair..... What repair did he do? Who did the repair? Why did he do it at 80K (did a tensioner disintegrate)? There are several different ways to address them from OK (inexpensive) to bulletproof (around $2K)... if he did it because a tensioner broke, and it wasn't fixed correctly, it's a time bomb waiting to repeat the failure....

Good luck with the purchase decision...

Old 04-21-2019, 11:23 AM
Pix
Road Master
Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Need to see repair and maintenance records...besides engine, wheel bearings, suspension oil, cables, etc.

Old 04-21-2019, 12:51 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,290 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraDu
Hello everyone -

I'm relatively short at 5'9''
Welcome to the Forum from Utah.

Do you hang out with a bunch of BB players? You will be fine on any HD Touring bike.

The following users liked this post:
UltraDu (04-21-2019)
Old 04-21-2019, 01:26 PM
xcbullet
Road Warrior
Received 261 Likes on 223 Posts

Sounds like a nice bike. If you like get it , if you do your own work, I'm sure it will need things as u go. I've been threw everything except bottom end over 4 seasons on mine. It has 128,000 miles, when I hit 140,000, I'll have put as many miles as the original owner who I know. Planning to drive to California from Michigan this summer so hoping this season nothing needs worked on.

Original owner is probably not even as tall as you and he never changed the seat bars shocks or anything like that. Although I have to go bit taller like tire And seat bars as far forward as can

If I got a 02 like that I would want to build it, perfect platform.

Last edited by xcbullet; 04-21-2019 at 01:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mctraveler (04-21-2019)
Old 04-21-2019, 03:16 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 462 Posts

My HD guru is a big fan of the 02 model year bikes,

If it is spotless, the price is OK, not great, but OK.

I might suggest you save up a couple of grand more and move up into something newer

Cripes if I could get someone to give me 5 grand cash for my 03 with 22K miles it would be gone tomorrow

Old 04-21-2019, 07:30 PM
mctraveler
Road Master
Received 321 Likes on 250 Posts

My 99 Ultra had 75000 on it when I sold it......maintenance records are absolutely necessary....tensioners are a problem unless taken care of on regular basis... also people fear the magnetti fuel injection...again good regular service..good fuel I had no problems....parts are a little hard to come by now that it's older but still available...just have to search a bit... I think Moto Guzzi still uses the same manufacturer of the fuel injection, so might be a source of information and parts if needed........good luck in your search...welcome to the forum

Quick Reply: 02 Ultra Classic