Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audio questions

Old 04-23-2019, 12:54 PM
Disturbed724
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Audio questions

Howdy audio gurus,
I'm new to the motorcycle audio world. I have a 2017 SGS. I'm wondering what it would take to add an amp and upgrade my speakers to my setup. I really don't want to break the bank. Is there kits for easy plug and play. Any recommendations for great sounding systems at high speeds? Any advice or even a checklist would be awesome! Thanks I. Advance all. Have a great day!

Old 04-23-2019, 03:54 PM
IArider1
Cruiser
Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

No amp speaker setup is truly plug and play. You still have to pull the fairing, seat and tank to run all the wiring and pull off the speaker pods from inside the fairing to install new speakers. Rockford fosgate's front kit doesn't sound too bad from the few I've heard. There are companies out there that will prewire and pre tune your amp, Garage Bagger Stereo being one of them. One of the things a lot of the guys here will tell you is that if you ever think you might want to upgrade further to either lids or lowers, is to get a good 4 channel amp. Myself I just installed 2 mmats 601cx and a mmats 4410 amplifier. I have zero problems hearing it going down the interstate doing 80. It will actually over power my friends stock setup when he is riding next to me.

The other thing you need to decide is are you going to change the head unit. If you don't you will have to get a line lever to tie into the stock head unit.

The following users liked this post:
Disturbed724 (04-24-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 04:10 PM
Disturbed724
Cruiser

Oh ok. I appreciate all the advice. I do eventually want to do lids. I kind of figured plug n play was a stretch. (Fairing, tank etc.) I didn't know about the line levelers. Also, I don't think I'm going to swap head unit. Is there an easy wiring kit and bracket for the amp? (like a car scoche kit etc.) Is there an ohm preference? Do I need the radio flashed? Again, thanks for everything my friend.

Old 04-23-2019, 09:25 PM
eggwhite93
Road Captain

Received 86 Likes on 67 Posts

If you get the Biketronics Line Leveler a flash will not be mandatory.

What is your budget for this first phase? This is the basis for all recommendations.

Dont worry about the plug plug and play vs separate pieces you put together yourself. Will a minimal amount of research and some questions on here pretty much anyone can put together a good audio package and install it themselves.

Old 04-24-2019, 04:56 AM
Disturbed724
Cruiser

Good points. Honestly, I never though about a budget. I kind of buy items as i find good prices. I have a feeling this project will be piece mail as well. That's part of why I was asking about recommendations. That way i could search them and start looking. I've heard Hertz is really good speakers, Polk, punch for amps so I was hoping to create a list of what I need. While learning and getting knowledge of you fine individuals who do it far more often and way better than myself.

Old 04-24-2019, 07:34 AM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 546 Posts

IArider is correct on what you need. Stay away from punch amps as they are old technology and Yes they are cheap but not worth the effort even if you get one free. If you get hertz speakers then look into the hcx 's as they are bullet proof and sound good. The stinger spx 700x4 is also bullet proof for an amp and is easy to install/ tune. A bt 355 line leveler will be needed and you can get one direct from bike tronics with a discount if you tell them you are a forum member and/or a vet.

This amp wire harness is what you need to get power to your amp.

Amazon Amazon

These speakers:

Amazon Amazon

This amp:

Amazon Amazon

No cutting or modifying factory wiring will be needed to install this setup.

Old 04-24-2019, 07:42 AM
Disturbed724
Cruiser

Awesome. Thank you very much. Do I need more than one line leveler? Any other gotchas I should be aware of? Do I need an amp tray to hold it or will Velcro work? Any heat issues I need to address as well? Sorry, I know it's a ton of questions. Again, you guys are amazing! Thanks again.

Last edited by Disturbed724; 04-24-2019 at 07:46 AM.
Old 04-24-2019, 07:48 AM
eggwhite93
Road Captain

Received 86 Likes on 67 Posts

You only need one for a fairing only set up. You would need a second one if you were going to do a second set of speakers AND you wanted fade control. You would have to have the head unit flashed to unlock the fade option also.

Old 04-24-2019, 08:06 AM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by Disturbed724
Awesome. Thank you very much. Do I need more than one line leveler? Any other gotchas I should be aware of? Do I need an amp tray to hold it or will Velcro work? Any heat issues I need to address as well? Sorry, I know it's a ton of questions. Again, you guys are amazing! Thanks again.
No heat issues with that amp and it will fit on your stock amp tray. Eggwhite is correct on the flash for fade and needing 2 LL only if fade is desired.

Old 04-24-2019, 08:10 AM
Disturbed724
Cruiser

Sweet! If o get the radio flashed then I don't need a LL and could maintain fade correct? Anyone know the cost of the flash?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Audio questions