Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heads upgraded

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 05:00 PM
Jay Guild
Grand HDF Member
Received 728 Likes on 559 Posts
Default Heads upgraded

So I installed an HPI 51mm bore throttle body with 4.9 gps injectors with some FM Level B ported heads with some other toys. Runs great after some tuning. The front end lifts on every gear change under hard acceleration. I wasn't expecting the bit more of valve train noise though. I saw that DJL mentioned the improved valve springs can cause some more valve train noise. Have others found this to be true?

Old 04-25-2019, 05:23 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts

I have a very different engine than yours (88 up to 97, carbureted), but I've found the same thing. I'm running S&S 585s and have a lot of headwork, topped with stiff beehive springs (I have better specs somewhere in my notes). I've adjusted pushrods several times (I've tried preload from .125 to .145) and installed Rockout bushings. The top end is definitely noticeably louder than it was pre-build (although it wasn't stock then either).

Old 04-25-2019, 05:26 PM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,423 Likes on 906 Posts

After I had my heads done with high lift springs and bigger valves I did notice more valve train noise. The hammer is coming down harder! Loudest at 2500 rpm silent at 3000. Louder with synthetic oils. I hardly even notice it anymore. You will get used to it. Not crazy loud but noticeable.

Old 04-25-2019, 09:26 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Originally Posted by Durham man
After I had my heads done with high lift springs and bigger valves I did notice more valve train noise. The hammer is coming down harder! Loudest at 2500 rpm silent at 3000. Louder with synthetic oils. I hardly even notice it anymore. You will get used to it. Not crazy loud but noticeable.
That is THE classic symptom of rocker shaft tapping. There is help

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 04-26-2019, 12:00 AM
Scarydog
Tourer
Received 212 Likes on 93 Posts

I just finished a 100 inch build. S&S cylinders, pistons, heads and the 585 cams. I also did the rocker lockers. Still have noise. Its different than the rocker arm shaft tap but it is there. Fades at 3k and up though.

Old 04-26-2019, 02:07 AM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by ROCKOUT Rocker Products

For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters
i have your rockouts, and still have Ilight sewing machine tapping. 7k on build and running strong, not worried about it. There was not a lot of play in my rockers to begin with. You make a great affordable product but it’s not a guaranteed fix. Sitting on a air cooled motor with high lift springs and aftermarket cams and open air filter some valve train harmonics is to be expected I would think..

Old 04-26-2019, 02:14 AM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member

I remember cavaria posted when he was ridding back roads he was counting on his valve train noise to scare and keep deer from crossing his path. I thought that was hilarious!

Old 04-26-2019, 05:36 AM
MMH
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

I wish I had loud heads. Will have to live with the stock, quiet ones until more funds become available.

Old 04-26-2019, 05:57 AM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member

Music to my ears

Old 04-26-2019, 08:53 AM
Jay Guild
Grand HDF Member
Received 728 Likes on 559 Posts

Originally Posted by ROCKOUT Rocker Products

I put the Rockouts in when I did the big bore and it did quite down the valve train noise some, but it wasn't gone. They are in there now as well.

Quick Reply: Heads upgraded