2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Mid controls on FXDR

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 11:00 PM
azfxdr
Novice
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Mid controls on FXDR

I have seen it mentioned that you can not put mid controls on the FXDR and I hope to prove this wrong so the bike is more comfortable for my 5'8" body.

I have ordered the parts and will be able to confirm it within the next couple weeks. As I understand it the reason is the stock exhaust does not clear in addition to obvious primary linkage and other parts needed. While at Trask last week checking on my other bike they had a M8 Softail with the assault 2 into 1 exhaust and the measurements seem to allow the fitment of mid controls. In addition to Nick telling me the Assault 2 into 1 fits on a Street Bob, I saw it online and measured a street bob with mids at the dealer earlier that day.

FYI: The two bikes that have mid controls that should work are: FXBB - Street Bob black controls and the FXLR Low Rider with chrome controls. I opted for black controls.

These are the parts needed that I have ordered and should receive everything ready to install this upcoming week:
  • Exhaust that is within approx 1 1/2 " past cam cover - Ordered from Trask last week- having custom Cerracote done (first one like it)
  • Inner and outer primary with gasket set. FYI The inner primary was back ordered and there were only 2 in the country avail. HD now has an eta of 5/24
  • Mid controls Left and Right side form Street Bob - Just received a set of take off mid controls from ebay for $200 like new all parts
I will let you know how it goes. Fingers crossed.

The following 3 users liked this post by azfxdr:
Chillis (03-21-2020), havinabubble (08-22-2023), saddlebag (04-28-2019)
Old 04-28-2019, 03:24 PM
norton74
Cruiser
Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

Your mid control project is interesting. Will be following your update with pictures please!

The following users liked this post:
azfxdr (04-28-2019)
Old 04-28-2019, 07:59 PM
GomezAddaams
Cruiser
Received 149 Likes on 65 Posts

One of the problems you are going to run into in addition to the exhaust is seat hight. The seat on the FXDR is low, therefore the further back you bring the pegs, the more scrunched your lower body is going to be. But I am interested to see how it works out.

Out of curiosity... I am 5'7", and by adjusting the clip ons back 3/8" it fits me prefectly. Where is it uncomfortable for you?

Old 04-28-2019, 08:48 PM
azfxdr
Novice

The seat height is too high for me right now as my feet are not flat when stopped and I am stretched out like a monkey because both the controls and bars are fwd. Hopefully the mid controls will fix that.

I can adjust the bars back a bit like you did after the mids are installed if needed. I would like to keep the stock clip on's if possible because I like the look and they will be good with the thunderbike kit in my plans. If needed I will have a new set of clip on's made with a bit of a rise to prevent tank interference. As a last resort I can change bars completely. Love the bike though. Here's a pic of my other bike which is not built for comfort but has controls fwd. and rear set.

Other bike in the stable: Sniper - 145" S&S, VFI, Kosman frame, carbon fiber body.

I sold the black one when I bought the FXDR. Still have the yellow one.
I'll keep you posted.

Old 06-26-2019, 10:17 AM
JohnnyMagic
Road Captain
Received 255 Likes on 164 Posts
Default Off the Hook!

Originally Posted by azfxdr
The seat height is too high for me right now as my feet are not flat when stopped and I am stretched out like a monkey because both the controls and bars are fwd. Hopefully the mid controls will fix that.

I can adjust the bars back a bit like you did after the mids are installed if needed. I would like to keep the stock clip on's if possible because I like the look and they will be good with the thunderbike kit in my plans. If needed I will have a new set of clip on's made with a bit of a rise to prevent tank interference. As a last resort I can change bars completely. Love the bike though. Here's a pic of my other bike which is not built for comfort but has controls fwd. and rear set.

Other bike in the stable: Sniper - 145" S&S, VFI, Kosman frame, carbon fiber body.

I sold the black one when I bought the FXDR. Still have the yellow one.
I'll keep you posted.
How did I miss this bike?

Mid controls?
The only ones I saw were way to high.
Searching for that thread.

JM

Old 06-26-2019, 10:58 AM
Scudda
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,193 Likes on 938 Posts

https://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/ha...rNiCazw3u_c1-o

Check out the last bike. It's a fat Bob with mid controls. I saw this bike in person and they said the control kit was a prototype going into production..You might want to contact shaffer's HD , they built the bike

Old 06-26-2019, 11:06 AM
azfxdr
Novice

Mid controls are on!

Old 06-26-2019, 12:31 PM
MoneyFor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 954 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by azfxdr
Mid controls are on!

Did you change the inner primary ? .... at my knowlidge it is not needed to change that one since they are the all same, the al have the prep for the mids.

For example, this is the inner primary from a Fat Bob 114 , I marked it yellow.

Even more, I think you can also convert the outer cover to, there is a kind of "plug" on it that closes the hole in the innercover.
If I have the oppertunity, I look at this and drill one open.

Old 06-26-2019, 07:07 PM
cgaulzetti
Intermediate
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

if you want real mid controls go for these: https://thespeedmerchant.net/product...-mid-controls/

The Street Bob's controls aren't true mids- they're kinda semi-forwards. (I think of mids as being right below the seat like and adventure bike- so you can stand up on them or unweight the seat over bumps).

I like those mid controls but I can't afford'em right now!

Old 06-26-2019, 08:10 PM
JohnnyMagic
Road Captain
Received 255 Likes on 164 Posts

Jeez 1510.00 ?
Glad I have machine tools!

I would mount them lower. Below primary, not middle. Everybody is different.
Made adjustable carbon rear sets for my Buell.
Really glad I had options as what looked right wasn't even close.

There are a lot on that "Battle"? thread.

I would design with the LEAST amount of parts ;-)

JM

Quick Reply: Mid controls on FXDR