Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield on Dyna Wide Glide

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 11:03 PM
Allfields
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Windshield on Dyna Wide Glide

I have a 2004 Dyna Wide Glide.

It’s been a real rainy cold spring, I put my my windshield on this year,

When I go over 70 or so the wind coming from over the top of the windshield seems to be hitting my face in some sorta way where my sun glasses start to shake or distort like they do when you go in the mid 90’s.

Also the wind seems to swush from underneath the windshield which is not an issue until at high speeds when it’s cold.

I have a stock quick detach windshield that I got when I picked up the bike.

Does anyone else have these issues?

If so are there any modifications that could be made or better off brand windshields to try?

Thanks for any input.

Old 05-18-2019, 12:53 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,487 Likes on 1,600 Posts

I've had many cruisers with windshields with one of them being a Softail Wide Glide Custom which is much like your Dyna.

I had a windshield on it and it worked better than not having a windshield at all but at higher speeds or in windy conditions it did effect the bike's handling.
A windshield, in addition to deflecting the elements from your head area also takes a lot of pressure off of your chest and also your lower back, which can really take a toll on you on a long trip.

No trying to be a smart a** here but you may want to invest in a more protective FF or modular helmet.

Old 05-18-2019, 01:32 PM
cowboydoc
Road Warrior

Received 1,076 Likes on 450 Posts

I have a Road King, not a Dyna, but had a similar problem when I first got it. At higher speeds (probably 55-60+) I would get terrible buffeting / turbulence to my head to the point at times my vision was blurry. The wind was coming from under each side of the tank, blasting me with an updraft. A full-face or 3/4 helmet would actually make it worse due to it catching more of the updraft. I could stop the buffeting by placing my left arm across my chest to block the wind. I solved the problem by installing fork wind deflectors (aka "fangs") after some research on this forum. Some people don't like the look, but to me they don't look out of place on my bike, and they do what I want them to as far as making my bike comfortable to ride. I'm not sure if they are made for your bike, but I know someone with mid-2000s Fatboy that has them on. If the wind is coming from over or around the windshield then the fangs probably wouldn't do much to help - maybe a taller or wider shield?

Old 05-19-2019, 06:04 AM
Allfields
Advanced

What do you you mean by a FF ?

As for the modular helmet , I have one that I use when I go snowmobiling,

It makes a huge difference and keeps my head and face real warm.

but the one thing that is nice in Illinois is that we are not required to wear helmets.

i couldn’t imagine wearing a helmet on my bike.

Old 05-19-2019, 08:20 AM
chuckw2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 384 Likes on 230 Posts

Had the same issue on my WG never really solved it. I could only wear my half helmet comfortably, full face or 3/4 was torture.

Old 05-19-2019, 11:58 AM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,426 Likes on 908 Posts

Had mine on the highway run this morning. The windshield at nose level with the fork bag. Works great.

Old 05-19-2019, 06:27 PM
Allfields
Advanced

Durham,
Did you purposely position your tool bag on the fork like that to help prevent that swoosh of air that comes from the bottom of the windshield and up and over the tank?

Old 05-20-2019, 01:50 AM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,426 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by Allfields
Durham,
Did you purposely position your tool bag on the fork like that to help prevent that swoosh of air that comes from the bottom of the windshield and up and over the tank?
Yes, when I first put on the windshield and drove down the road my glasses nearly blew off. The buffering was bad. I then had the windshield trimmed down. I had read somewhere that the tool bag under the windshield would cut down some of the buffering. Tried it and it definitely does. I still have some buffering but not bad. I almost gave up on it, glad I did not. It’s great for early spring and late fall and highway runs. The tool bag is cheap from the dealer. I made my own Velcro strips. Good luck with it.

Old 05-20-2019, 09:49 PM
Kaycee
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had several WS on my 05 WG and never cared for any of them,found a windvest at a swap meet for $40 cut it down some and ran it. Best one yet, takes alot of the pressure off the chest gets rid of most of the bugs and rain hell your on a bike your going to get wet . FF =Full Face helmet I carry with me on long trips for those rainy days,no helmet law here either

Old 05-20-2019, 11:32 PM
dysfunction1
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Regarding folks complain about buffeting. Is it so bad that your better off without one? With apes i know I eat alot of wind.

Sitting on the fence. About to order the Krator (amazon purchase). I dont want it if it is indeed worse than no wind screen/fairing.

Quick Reply: Windshield on Dyna Wide Glide