General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

2016 iron 883 starts but wont run!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 04:08 PM
Ian Gillette
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 iron 883 starts but wont run!

So I have a 2016 iron 883 that only has about 2000 miles on it. It sat in a garage for about 1.5 years on and off the charger started occasionally. Had to use it when my car broke down charged it up started just fine rode home from my parents garage. The next day I decided to go run it, started just fine drove to the gas station filled it up. As soon as I started it up the throttle started being real jumpy, speedo stopped working, and check engine light came on. Rode home even with it being real jumpy and reving weird only a out 2 miles. Ran the codes popped up a map sensor code. Need help could it be just a bad battery and not enough power to run the computer properly? Clogged injectors from sitting so long? Please help!

Old 05-22-2019, 12:23 PM
joe40x
Road Warrior
Received 656 Likes on 383 Posts

Bad gas?

Old 05-22-2019, 01:56 PM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 714 Likes on 625 Posts

the map sensor tell the ecu what the load is on the engine. if the vac signal is breached to atmospheric, the ecu sees this as a giant load on the engine and will adjust fuel and spark lead, you probably got home in limp mode. fix the map code then press ever forward on, one thing at a time that way you know what you did to fix it.
easy to drain the fuel and is the cheapest fix, remember "KISS". if the fuel was shinola, the miss-fires could set a map code. but that does not explain the other issues so i would get my hopes up too high.
low system voltage will make the ecu go bananas.

Old 05-22-2019, 02:14 PM
Ian Gillette
Novice

Originally Posted by bustert
the map sensor tell the ecu what the load is on the engine. if the vac signal is breached to atmospheric, the ecu sees this as a giant load on the engine and will adjust fuel and spark lead, you probably got home in limp mode. fix the map code then press ever forward on, one thing at a time that way you know what you did to fix it.
easy to drain the fuel and is the cheapest fix, remember "KISS". if the fuel was shinola, the miss-fires could set a map code. but that does not explain the other issues so i would get my hopes up too high.
low system voltage will make the ecu go bananas.
Ok so I have replaced the battery and drained the fuel and replaced it with some shell premium 93 gas and it runs but wont do over maybe 35 and sputters and bumbs and still has map sensor code plus o2 sensors. Seems to be running very lean. Any suggestion could my map sensor just be dirty since it's a pretty new bike?

Old 05-22-2019, 08:49 PM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 714 Likes on 625 Posts

map sensor is pretty rugged and they cannot be cleaned. it is either mounted to the TB via a port/oring or via a hose to remote sensor.
if you erased the codes and they come back, i would try a new sensor. do you access to a data logger to look at fuel trims?
right off, i do not have a gm number but there are some who use a gm sensor and not an hd one. perhaps you have a friend that has a machine you could try swapping with.
if you have drive by wire, you may have one of the throttle sensors goofing off, there is two of them that works in ka-hoots, but then you are not getting a code for it.
i ride gravity, it never fails, no bells and whistles here, just scoot!

Old 05-22-2019, 09:18 PM
Ian Gillette
Novice
Default Update 6p. 5/22/19

Update I noticed if I place my hand over the whole in my air intake the bike actually runs better and revs like it should dont know if that info helps at all bit thought I'd share.

Old 05-23-2019, 11:55 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 732 Posts

Check for a leak at the intake.