General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Motorcycle Purchase - FXDF

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 11:26 AM
CTMrider
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Motorcycle Purchase - FXDF

Hello everyone. This is my first post here. Before I dive into my true question I want to (hopefully) save the collective eye roll. A quick search begets many threads of people asking which first bike to get. There seem to be 2 schools of thought - buy a used bike because you're going to likely drop it OR the "cry once" crowd that says buy what you want and learn on it while exercising caution.

What I am looking at is kind of a middling option. I took and passed the MSF course last weekend. I did very well for someone who has virtually no motorcycle experience. I am not delusional though and know I need a ton more practice, but that just means more time riding a motorcycle so that sounds just fine. My craigslist search turned up a 2009 Fat Bob FXDF with 21k on the clock. It is posted for $6000. This seems to be par the course price wise. I'm a big guy - 6 ft and burly. I'm stronger than most. So I am hoping getting a bigger bike off the bat isn't as problematic for me as it is for others. I could save a couple grand and get a shadow or other foreign bike, but if I can likely sell this for what I paid in a year or 2 and get my "dream" bike, why not?

I am hoping for some guidance on this subject. Other people seem to have started on Dynas and more powerful bikes and faired well. Is this a good price? is 21k miles too much? Any issues I should be aware of with this bike? Thanks to any and all for the guidance!

Old 05-21-2019, 02:48 PM
MarkCFI
Intermediate
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I was pretty much at the same spot last summer. Never had a motorcycle, took the MSF course and then went and bought a bike.

I’m in my 60’s so probably a bit older. Received the same advice to start out with a smaller cheaper bike but I just didn’t want to ride anything other than a Harley. Nothing wrong with other bikes but I just did not have an interest.

i’m tall as well so bought a 2013 FXDC with low mileage. After riding for a year when weather permits I am glad I bought the bike I did. I would definitely not have wanted to buy smaller.

I am not what You would consider burly but I started out slow and on back roads getting a feel for how the bike handled.

i can’t advise on price or the deal because I just don’t have experience in that area but I have been happy with my Dyna.

Old 05-21-2019, 03:03 PM
indiandave
Road Master
Received 292 Likes on 170 Posts

You should be fine with the Fat Bob. As Mark said, just take it slow ar first. You’re a pretty big guy, the weight shouldn’t be a problem.
If you went small, you’d be bike shopping again this fall.

Old 05-21-2019, 03:25 PM
KYRGultra
Road Master
Received 489 Likes on 306 Posts

You won't have any problem learning on a Dyna that you wouldn't also have with a smaller, lighter bike. Neither would you have any problems with a Softail. HD bikes are balanced very well and have a low center of gravity (the Sportsters weight isn't as "low" as the others). Even the touring bikes--once you are rolling, even at very low speeds, the weight isn't really an issue.

Remember this one thing foremost--Practice, practice, practice. And there are a lot of good videos available from some of the pros on different topics such as doing U-turns, slow speed maneuvers, higher speeds, etc. A lot of videos are free, just Google for them, and check on YouTube as well.

Old 05-22-2019, 06:50 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,142 Likes on 5,592 Posts

The bike youre looking at sounds like a good fit for you and your plan to buy it and reseel it in a few years is probably pretty good too. The price is good and as long as its in good shape you should be able to recoup most of your money back in a year or so. I say go for it, you wont be disappointed with a Dyna.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:21 AM
Chambeaux
Road Captain
Received 197 Likes on 92 Posts

My advice since you asked....
Start by putting your toe in the water. Buy a Shadow or something that is much less expensive. First, to see if you're really going to ride it. I've seen many new riders lose interest. Maybe it turned out not to be their thing, maybe they got scared, whatever. Better to sell than to keep riding scared. No judgement. It isn't for everyone.

Secondly, riding a less expensive bike for a summer will give you an idea of what you want in a long term bike. Height, bars, etc... So that you can choose the right bike for you. There are a lot of 6' guys with different bikes because they each have their own likes, styles and comfort zones.

Good luck and be safe.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:19 AM
CTMrider
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate all of the insight. I was considering the cheaper Hondas first, but the price difference I'm seeing around Metro Detroit isn't enough to not consider this fat boy or even a sporty. Also, I'm not delusional that a weekend class fully prepared me. I live fairly close to where I took my course and all of the 'obstacles' are painted in the parking lot there, so I'll revisit and practice my slow speed maneuvers and stick to surface roads this whole season for sure. I know this hobby isn't as safe as driving in a car, but I am trying to mitigate as much of the risk as possible. It sure is fun though. A weekend tooling around on a Suzuki 250 has me enamored with getting on two wheels more often.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:29 AM
KYRGultra
Road Master
Received 489 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by CTMrider
I appreciate all of the insight. I was considering the cheaper Hondas first, but the price difference I'm seeing around Metro Detroit isn't enough to not consider this fat boy or even a sporty. Also, I'm not delusional that a weekend class fully prepared me. I live fairly close to where I took my course and all of the 'obstacles' are painted in the parking lot there, so I'll revisit and practice my slow speed maneuvers and stick to surface roads this whole season for sure. I know this hobby isn't as safe as driving in a car, but I am trying to mitigate as much of the risk as possible. It sure is fun though. A weekend tooling around on a Suzuki 250 has me enamored with getting on two wheels more often.
Yeah, I tell folks that pulling out of my driveway on my bike is the 2nd best feeling I ever had LOL!

Old 05-22-2019, 09:32 AM
Chambeaux
Road Captain
Received 197 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by CTMrider
This is the right attitude.

Old 05-22-2019, 10:01 AM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Normally I'm in the "Buy the Shadow" camp. But in this case it sounds like a good bike at a good price and most importantly, a good fit for the rider. I say go for it.

Quick Reply: First Motorcycle Purchase - FXDF