Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

How to Ride a Trike

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 11:01 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts
Default How to Ride a Trike

This gets asked a lot. Here’s an article from Road Runner Magazine

https://www.roadrunner.travel/magazi...Jlj8Kx4rZdj5B4

The following 4 users liked this post by Casper:
Divecuda (06-07-2019), Gonzy (06-25-2019), GTK (05-24-2019), tbob (05-24-2019)
Old 05-24-2019, 07:21 AM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Thank's for posting that article.

Old 05-24-2019, 01:39 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,604 Posts

I just recently (last fall) purchased my '18 Tri-Glide and due to various reasons I only have about 1200 miles on the odometer but to me it's basically like riding a snowmobile on dry pavement, just not as cold!

In my defense, I have only once nearly tried to put my feet on the ground as I was coming to a stop and also only once forgot to release the park break before trying to move the trike!

After 50 years of two-wheeling, old habits are hard to break and to me it seems to that driving the trike is more tiring and takes more thinking than riding a motorcycle. I suppose that will change with time and miles.

The two things that I do appreciate is not having to "lift" the trike up off of a jiffy stand and not having to be so concerned when coming to a stop on wet or sandy surfaces.

Though I haven't experienced it yet, I would think (or hope) that the trike is more stable when riding in the rain and I KNOW that stopping at toll booths will be much easier to deal with.

The following users liked this post:
RedDogAlberta (05-24-2021)
Old 05-24-2019, 03:17 PM
ord sgt
Grand HDF Member

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
I just recently (last fall) purchased my '18 Tri-Glide and due to various reasons I only have about 1200 miles on the odometer but to me it's basically like riding a snowmobile on dry pavement, just not as cold!

In my defense, I have only once nearly tried to put my feet on the ground as I was coming to a stop and also only once forgot to release the park break before trying to move the trike!

After 50 years of two-wheeling, old habits are hard to break and to me it seems to that driving the trike is more tiring and takes more thinking than riding a motorcycle. I suppose that will change with time and miles.

The two things that I do appreciate is not having to "lift" the trike up off of a jiffy stand and not having to be so concerned when coming to a stop on wet or sandy surfaces.

Though I haven't experienced it yet, I would think (or hope) that the trike is more stable when riding in the rain and I KNOW that stopping at toll booths will be much easier to deal with.
Riding in the rain is not much of a problem, other than getting wet. The trike is still very stable. As for toll booths, if it is available where you live, the E-Z pass electronic device to pay tolls is the best way to deal with toll roads or bridges. Velcro attachment to the windshield makes toll payments a breeze. No stopping and fishing in your pockets for money.

The following users liked this post:
Clint44 (06-03-2019)
Old 05-24-2019, 08:27 PM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 388 Likes on 254 Posts

+1 on the EZ Pass. Besides suction cups holding it to the windscreen, I have a small phone tether cord on it's mount, tied to the fairing pockets. If it falls in a car it's on the floor, don't quite have that luxury on a trike.

For the toll booths the only problem is how far you have to reach! Gotta remember those fenders!

Old 05-30-2019, 09:29 AM
joe momma
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

......................ah love the trike....

.......just wait till you experience hydro planing...............OH MY

Old 05-30-2019, 12:14 PM
RedOregon
Tourer

Received 125 Likes on 82 Posts

Pretty good, except for the hand brake comment, but we all know the difference.

Old 06-09-2019, 12:43 AM
alaxjordan0
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for posting a useful article.

Old 06-09-2019, 09:50 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Originally Posted by joe momma
......................ah love the trike....

.......just wait till you experience hydro planing...............OH MY
My cousin has warned me about this.
Do you think it is speed related?
Guess I have a lot to look forward to!

Old 06-10-2019, 12:48 PM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 388 Likes on 254 Posts

Hydroplaning depends on tread pattern (ability to squeeze out water), weight, speed and of course the depth of the water layer. There's a formula somewhere but we don't need to use that here. You can only directly control one of those on the road, anyway.

Having said that, we've been through some hellatious rain storms over the last five years, and only felt hydroplaning once. Slowed down about 10 mph and it went away, so I stayed about 5 mph below that just in case of deeper spots, and felt relatively comfortable at that speed. Couldn't have seen well enough to have gone any faster anyway. And any slower and we'd have gotten run over by the trucks (they have the weight thing going for them.) It's just not that big of an issue if you use your noggin if you ask me. ("Doc, it hydroplanes when I do that." "Well then don't do that!!!")

Edit: If you feel the rear end getting squirrely in a heavy shower or hit deep water, just drop the throttle, don't hit the brakes! Since you're basically plowing water already, speed will drop off quickly, the drag on the back keeps you pointed the right direction, and the problem goes away.

Last edited by Oogie Wa Wa; 06-10-2019 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Mo.
The following 4 users liked this post by Oogie Wa Wa:
5wheels (06-10-2019), JoviMidLife (06-18-2019), RedOregon (06-10-2019), sloufoot (06-11-2019)

Quick Reply: How to Ride a Trike