Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Leaking pushrod tubes

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 04:39 PM
Supasoof
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking pushrod tubes

I brought my 2006 street bob for a primary bearing replacement, fluid changes, and to check the cam tensioner.
Received the bike back a couple days later with a leaking primary cover and my front header cracked due to poor reinstallation.
Brought it back a couple of days later to correct the issues.
Picked up the bike today and oil is leaking pretty badly out of my cam pushrod tubes. Is this in any way related to the repairs they did or is it just coincidental it happened on the way home? The shop I used comes highly recommended I don't want to be a tool with these guys but if it's something they did I want it repaired. I have 30k on this bike and have never had any problems before the last few weeks.

Last edited by Supasoof; 05-24-2019 at 05:05 PM.
Old 05-24-2019, 08:38 PM
ntraindavefl
Road Warrior
Received 333 Likes on 234 Posts

When it’s cold put a torque wrench on all cover bolts to check their work. Did they use new gaskets and orings ? Need more info on what they touched and replaced.

Old 05-24-2019, 09:10 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

If they pulled the cam plate they had to remove the pushrod covers. It's looks to be leaking from there. Even the best of shops screw up. Take it back.

Old 05-25-2019, 05:36 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by Supasoof

I brought my 2006 street bob for a primary bearing replacement, fluid changes, and to check the cam tensioner.
Received the bike back a couple days later with a leaking primary cover and my front header cracked due to poor reinstallation.
Brought it back a couple of days later to correct the issues.
Picked up the bike today and oil is leaking pretty badly out of my cam pushrod tubes. Is this in any way related to the repairs they did or is it just coincidental it happened on the way home? The shop I used comes highly recommended I don't want to be a tool with these guys but if it's something they did I want it repaired. I have 30k on this bike and have never had any problems before the last few weeks.
I'll put my money on the washer and the o-ring in the middle of the pushrod tube being reversed. I've had to go behind "mechanics" that didn't know the difference and the mess looked just like that. The unfortunate thing is if you don't have adjustable pushrods, you're gonna have to pull the tank, rocker covers, rocker assembly and pushrods to correct it. I wouldn't use the same o-ring because the spring has been pressing on it. The o-ring should be BELOW the washer. It only takes a minute or two to check all of them.

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 05-25-2019 at 06:18 AM.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:05 AM
Supasoof
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ntraindavefl
When it’s cold put a torque wrench on all cover bolts to check their work. Did they use new gaskets and orings ? Need more info on what they touched and replaced.
My primary was starting to make noise, it would go away if I was stopped and in gear. I took it to the shop to change my rear primary bearing. Service writer recommended I have my cam tensioner inspected. Told me it was 2 hours labor so I told him to do it. While it was in there I got all the fluids changed. When I picked up the bike they told me the tensioner was fine and in good shape and the bike was all set. On the way home I stopped for fuel and in the 5 minutes I was at the gas station I developed a good puddle under my primary. Took it home and found the bottom of the primary leaking badly. Took the bike back to the shop and they replaced the seal on my primary. When I picked it up the second time all seemed well. Got home from the shop and the whole right side of the motor, pipes and the inside of my leg we're covered in oil.

Old 05-25-2019, 12:22 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by Supasoof
My primary was starting to make noise, it would go away if I was stopped and in gear. I took it to the shop to change my rear primary bearing. Service writer recommended I have my cam tensioner inspected. Told me it was 2 hours labor so I told him to do it. While it was in there I got all the fluids changed. When I picked up the bike they told me the tensioner was fine and in good shape and the bike was all set. On the way home I stopped for fuel and in the 5 minutes I was at the gas station I developed a good puddle under my primary. Took it home and found the bottom of the primary leaking badly. Took the bike back to the shop and they replaced the seal on my primary. When I picked it up the second time all seemed well. Got home from the shop and the whole right side of the motor, pipes and the inside of my leg we're covered in oil.
Pop the clips off the pushrod tubes and look to see if the o-rings are in the correct place.

Old 05-26-2019, 11:47 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

I didn't get both front tube clips centered correctly after adjusting my pushrods once...the oil that blew out made a mess on the right side that looks a lot like the one on your engine...

Old 05-26-2019, 11:51 AM
ntraindavefl
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by skinman13
I didn't get both front tube clips centered correctly after adjusting my pushrods once...the oil that blew out made a mess on the right side that looks a lot like the one on your engine...
I don’t follow this....please explain. The top retaining clip wasn’t centered and that caused leaking ?

Old 05-26-2019, 12:20 PM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by ntraindavefl
I don’t follow this....please explain. The top retaining clip wasn’t centered and that caused leaking ?

rear cylinder...the intake clip is centered but the exhaust is not.

I had both front clips off and it made a mess on a run to the Lone Star Rally and back...lost about a cup of oil.

Old 05-26-2019, 12:33 PM
ntraindavefl
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by skinman13

rear cylinder...the intake clip is centered but the exhaust is not.

I had both front clips off and it made a mess on a run to the Lone Star Rally and back...lost about a cup of oil.

So you ran it wout the retaining clips?
And is that a gap above the clip on right of pic near the head? And if so how did it stay on like that?

Quick Reply: Leaking pushrod tubes