2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Streetbob with shitty brakes.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 01:08 AM
tonixen
Advanced
Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Streetbob with shitty brakes.

I have just started to ride my 2019 street bob. I like my build, But... BUT it has really bad brakes (and im comparing to my streetglide)

Has anyone tried any solutions for better brakes , and can share their 5cents about it?? Performance contra inveted cash perhaps?
(Big disc kit, dual disc kit, radial calipers etc)

Pic for attention

Old 05-26-2019, 09:00 AM
Tozco
Road Captain
Received 205 Likes on 132 Posts

Mine is an 18 Low Rider, should be same brakes. The back was really weak partly due to a low brake pedal. Try adjusting the pedal a little bit higher paying attention to the angles of the bell crank that the rods attach to. The front is stronger than I can Imagine. I have gone through a set of pads up front and am using KBC HH which are probably pretty close to stock. Everyone criticized the single disc up front until they actually tried it because it works well. Have you bed in your pads and still think it's no good?

Old 05-26-2019, 11:26 AM
tonixen
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tozco
Mine is an 18 Low Rider, should be same brakes. The back was really weak partly due to a low brake pedal. Try adjusting the pedal a little bit higher paying attention to the angles of the bell crank that the rods attach to. The front is stronger than I can Imagine. I have gone through a set of pads up front and am using KBC HH which are probably pretty close to stock. Everyone criticized the single disc up front until they actually tried it because it works well. Have you bed in your pads and still think it's no good?

Yes i have to the best if my knowledge done that. I had dual disc on my streetglide with really good brakingability. So maybe im just fooling myself. Ill give it one more try.

Old 05-26-2019, 04:47 PM
Birtyyy
Cruiser
Received 109 Likes on 64 Posts

Poor rear brakes is a common comment on these bikes. As Tozco said, many people have reported benefits by simply raising the pedal, I would also look at replacing the stock brake pads with something better.
If you're speaking about front brakes there are guys doing big brake kits, check out Hard Case Performance. Also, another company called Dirty Dixie Performance are doing an FXLR with dual discs and most of it should be relevant to the FXBB. I've been watching their progress on Instagram and the guys there are happy to chat and discuss things. Super helpful.

The following users liked this post:
Bayou FLHR-M8-128" (09-06-2020)
Old 05-26-2019, 08:26 PM
AJ88V
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 214 Posts

Here's a tutorial on raising your brake pedal for mid-mount pegs
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2018-...al-height.html

Bayou FLHR-M8-128" (09-06-2020)
Old 05-26-2019, 11:12 PM
tonixen
Advanced

Originally Posted by Birtyyy
Poor rear brakes is a common comment on these bikes. As Tozco said, many people have reported benefits by simply raising the pedal, I would also look at replacing the stock brake pads with something better.
If you're speaking about front brakes there are guys doing big brake kits, check out Hard Case Performance. Also, another company called Dirty Dixie Performance are doing an FXLR with dual discs and most of it should be relevant to the FXBB. I've been watching their progress on Instagram and the guys there are happy to chat and discuss things. Super helpful.
Thank you,ill check theese companys out

Old 05-26-2019, 11:13 PM
tonixen
Advanced

Originally Posted by AJ88V
Here's a tutorial on raising your brake pedal for mid-mount pegs
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2018-...al-height.html
Thank you.

Old 05-27-2019, 03:04 AM
Scottyxbones
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

You've got air in your line or bad brake fluid, possibly both. Change the fluid, bleed the lines properly. I used to think my Harley had bad brakes too.

Sallenthornton (06-09-2019)
Old 05-27-2019, 03:30 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,837 Likes on 1,212 Posts

The brakes have been improved on the Low Rider in this thread:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2018-...rake-suck.html

Old 05-27-2019, 10:48 AM
tonixen
Advanced

Originally Posted by Scottyxbones
You've got air in your line or bad brake fluid, possibly both. Change the fluid, bleed the lines properly. I used to think my Harley had bad brakes too.
Okey, i actually didnt think about thatone, ill bleed em just to make sure. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Streetbob with shitty brakes.