Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch slip .

Old 05-26-2019, 01:52 AM
Midpegs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,115 Likes on 629 Posts
Default Clutch slip .

Oh why did I have to interfere ? When I got my 2004 Roadster a few weeks ago there was no hint of clutch slip even when accelerating hard at high speed. As I do with any second hand bike I went and changed the oil (s) . I put Drag Specialities Sportster Gear and Chain case Oil in the primary and now when I accelerate very hard when I'm already at speed I get clutch slip . It's was only for a few seconds because as soon as it happened I backed off the throttle but it was definitely there. When I changed the primary oil , the stuff that came out was somewhat thinner ( When cold )than what I put back in . It was also fairly clean and was reddish in colour. The thing is, I didn't throw it away so my question is can anyone see any reason why I shouldn't try draining the new oil and putting this stuff back in ? There will obviously be some mixing of old and new oil but it's not like it's going to turn to jelly ( jello ) is it ? Gotta be worth a try .

Old 05-26-2019, 02:06 AM
Lwood10
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe the oil had nothing to do with the slipping and needs clutch adjustment? Or are you thinking the previous oil was hiding/preventing the clutch slip temporarily? Sounds like ATF fluid was in there if reddish in color. Is that the proper oil? Does it smell like ATF? Just my thoughts, could be wrong.

Old 05-26-2019, 02:34 AM
Midpegs
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Lwood10
Maybe the oil had nothing to do with the slipping and needs clutch adjustment? Or are you thinking the previous oil was hiding/preventing the clutch slip temporarily? Sounds like ATF fluid was in there if reddish in color. Is that the proper oil? Does it smell like ATF? Just my thoughts, could be wrong.
I understand that some brands of primary oil are red in colour so probably not ATF . I get what you mean by hiding the problem . As for adjustment , I haven't been into the clutch yet but there is the correct free play at the lever.

Old 05-26-2019, 03:37 AM
steveket
Cruiser
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Here are my suggestions as I have just done a primary/clutch service:

1. Drain this new oil (hot) out - it’s no good. Drain on the jiffy stand and also then stand the bike up vertical for 5 mins. It’s all in the service manual - this way all the oil drains.
2. Get the Harley Primary/Transmission oil from your Harley store - it’s not outrageously expensive at all, buy 1qrt, which in the UK means the bottle will be 1 litre. (1 litre=946 ml).
3. Now at this point I then took
my derby (clutch) cover off and followed the precise instructions to adjust the clutch at the clutch basket. One flat blade screw driver is all you need. If you want me to describe this procedure “pm” me - it’s all over the internet though.
4. Check sump o-ring and clean sump bolt - screw back in & also for me I then put the derby cover back on with a new o-ring, taking care to ensure the clutch-spring in the centre seats correctly in the housing.
5. Before this I had looked at my clutch lever position at the bar and was happy before and after my work.

Go ride. Should be no slip. Unless, your plates are wearing out far too early for some reason.
My thoughts are why do people mess about putting different oils in their primary , other than Harley’s own recommended stuff? I’ve heard people complain of the price, well here in the UK I paid the equivalent of $15., that’s pretty cheap! Ive always been super careful with my other bikes as clutches are very sensitive to oil additives and in my view you just don’t know what might be going in with modern oils.

Last edited by steveket; 05-26-2019 at 03:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Sorce (05-26-2019)
Old 05-26-2019, 04:44 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,717 Likes on 2,390 Posts

1 litre=946 ml
No 1 litre = 1000ml

1 US quart = 2 US pints = 946ml

A bottle in the UK will be 1 litre = 1.057 US quarts so you will not use all of it.

If in America and it is 1 US quart you will put the whole bottle in.

Last edited by Andy from Sandy; 05-26-2019 at 04:53 AM.
Old 05-26-2019, 04:57 AM
Midpegs
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by steveket
Here are my suggestions as I have just done a primary/clutch service:

1. Drain this new oil (hot) out - it’s no good. Drain on the jiffy stand and also then stand the bike up vertical for 5 mins. It’s all in the service manual - this way all the oil drains.
2. Get the Harley Primary/Transmission oil from your Harley store - it’s not outrageously expensive at all, buy 1qrt, which in the UK means the bottle will be 1 litre. (1 litre=946 ml).
3. Now at this point I then took
my derby (clutch) cover off and followed the precise instructions to adjust the clutch at the clutch basket. One flat blade screw driver is all you need. If you want me to describe this procedure “pm” me - it’s all over the internet though.
4. Check sump o-ring and clean sump bolt - screw back in & also for me I then put the derby cover back on with a new o-ring, taking care to ensure the clutch-spring in the centre seats correctly in the housing.
5. Before this I had looked at my clutch lever position at the bar and was happy before and after my work.

Go ride. Should be no slip. Unless, your plates are wearing out far too early for some reason.
My thoughts are why do people mess about putting different oils in their primary , other than Harley’s own recommended stuff? I’ve heard people complain of the price, well here in the UK I paid the equivalent of $15., that’s pretty cheap! Ive always been super careful with my other bikes as clutches are very sensitive to oil additives and in my view you just don’t know what might be going in with modern oils.
Thanks mate , that's all very sound advice . Why did I use oil other than Harley's own ? Because I went to my nearest HD dealership and they didn't have any oils in stock. I honestly thought that " Drag Specialities Gear and Chain case oil especially blended for Sportsters " was a wise choice . The reason I changed it was mainly because the previous owner didn't have the bike for very long and there was no recent service history . I've been looking at the possibility of fitting a Screaming Eagle diaphragm spring which apparently increases pressure by 20% . Compared to my GSXR it looks like a relatively easy job to fit .

Old 05-26-2019, 05:43 AM
steveket
Cruiser
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Hi mate, that oil sounds like it should be alright then, given that description! If your problem persists I’d go back in and go through the clutch adjustment procedure/s. It is easy. I have heard about the stronger spring - an option of course. Good luck.

Old 05-26-2019, 09:54 AM
whylee
Road Warrior
Received 343 Likes on 244 Posts

If you changed the oil, then its fine. I would adjust the the clutch, if that doesnt help then its pribably time for a new clutch.

Old 05-26-2019, 11:32 AM
Midpegs
Outstanding HDF Member

Oh great ! I've just ridden 150 miles on my other bike to find a UK Harley dealership that opens on a Sunday and bought a bottle of genuine Harley chain case oil .

Old 05-27-2019, 05:50 AM
Lwood10
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good luck. I'm getting ready to swap my clutch. Bike has 27,000 and had some brass filings in it when I changed oil so gonna pull apart. Reading about grenade plate has me worried so gonna do my first ever bike clutch.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clutch slip .