EVO All Evo Model Discussion

1994 Road King mods and upgrades.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 04:57 AM
cycocycle
Tourer
Received 227 Likes on 74 Posts
Default 1994 Road King mods and upgrades.

As per this thread I have picked up a 1994 Road King to complement my 1998 FXSTC. The RK has around 46k miles on it and is in need of some minor mechanical TLC.
So far the list of essential items are:
  • Rocker Box Gaskets
  • Intake manifold seals
  • Throttle idle cable.
  • Clutch adjustment(and EZ Pull clutch kit. I put them in everything)
Some non essential and cosmetic items:
  • Engine bar
  • Floorboard Rubbers
  • Brake/Shift pedal rubbers.
  • Grips
  • Exhaust heat shields
Once I have attended to the essential items I will just ride it and change out the non essential items by degrees when cash is available. I will also be looking at the inner cam bearing and maybe an EV27 cam at some point. I'm not looking to hot-rod it so I'm not going to tune it too much.
Never owned a bike with a screen and I only intend to use it for longer journeys but I'm trying to use it as much as possible for a while to get familiar with it.
Let me know any tips, trick and mods that you have found to be useful. Any links to users manuals online etc.

The following 3 users liked this post by cycocycle:
Blk/Wht/andChrome (02-26-2021), Gordie. (10-07-2020), Windseeker (06-08-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 07:17 AM
86glider
Road Warrior
Received 861 Likes on 515 Posts

EV-13 cam, torrington cam bearing while you have the rocker boxes off.Love that year and color combo.

Old 06-06-2019, 08:08 AM
cycocycle
Tourer

I intend to keep it as I like to head off on tours into Europe when I get the opportunity. I needed a touring rig as my FXSTC is not really comfortable for long days in the saddle. I will be checking the rocker boxes but I've never had an issue with them warping previously. I know the yellow ones from the 1991 fatboy would warp as they were steel/iron as opposed to aluminium.
My main aim is to get miles up during the summer to iron out any issues and also to get used to the bike itself. So far all is good. Im really liking it.

Old 06-06-2019, 03:36 PM
ckary
Advanced
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Fellow 94'er here. If you even wash that thing before you upgrade the cam, you're going to kick yourself.
I'm still kicking myself for not doing it 5 minutes after I bought it in 2000.
The cam makes that much difference.

The following users liked this post:
Rick Hard (06-06-2019)
Old 06-07-2019, 06:48 AM
cycocycle
Tourer

Originally Posted by ckary
Fellow 94'er here. If you even wash that thing before you upgrade the cam, you're going to kick yourself.
I'm still kicking myself for not doing it 5 minutes after I bought it in 2000.
The cam makes that much difference.

Im sure it makes a world of difference but I need to ensure everything else is good first. It went back to running on 1 cylinder yesterday when I tried it. It looks like its got an intake manifold leak of some description so I'm picking up some new rubbers for that today. I was able to eliminate the coil as an issue by swapping the RK coil over to my softail where it ran perfectly. Swapping the leads also did not swap the problem to the front cylinder.Its got good compression and new plugs so hopefully sealing up the intake will have it running right again. I might grab some plug wires while I'm at it.
Also I know its probably discussed to death but Id like to get my passing lights to stay on with my high beams so any info specific to my bike would be gratefully received.

The following users liked this post:
Ercoupe (07-02-2023)
Old 06-07-2019, 01:01 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Since you are going to replace the rocker box gaskets, I suggest while apart to also pull the cam cover, replace the lifters (OEM are fine, also S&S, Johnson Hy-Lift) and the inner cam bearing. (Torrington B-138 or Koyo B-138).

If the lifters are original they are on borrowed time, the lifters used in `94 were of an earlier design, known for failures of the roller.

The other big issue to keep in mind is your front belt pulley on the transmission, the early units had a bad habit of coming loose, sometimes causing extensive and expensive damage.

The upgraded design came out in mid-`94.....

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 06-07-2019 at 01:07 PM.
Old 06-07-2019, 02:16 PM
Mountainkowboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 968 Likes on 526 Posts

The driving lights voltage supply comes from the left handlebar high/low beam switch. You just need to change the supply to the switch for the lights to ignition rather than the low beam.

Old 06-08-2019, 01:46 AM
cycocycle
Tourer

Originally Posted by Rick Hard
Here you go, and he's in your neck of the woods, www.spiyda.com. He does a fender tip LED as well.
Cheers for the info. I'm not very familiar with vehicle wiring so bear with me. Currently, my passing lamps get their power from the low beam. If I want to convert to "always on" I need to tap into a live circuit. I don't need a 3 position switch. On and off will be fine.
By the way, what's the second switch on the nacelle for? Nitrous?

Old 06-09-2019, 12:34 AM
cycocycle
Tourer

Got some new intake manifold seals and fitted them yesterday. Changed out the fuel line while the carb was off. It's now running pretty much perfectly. Took it for a test run between monsoon rain showers yesterday but it was all over the place. Turns out the front tyre was soft so I need to have a look at that now too.
Changed the chrome grips out for black rubber in the latest step in my effort to Un-Pimp My Ride. Still a lot of unnecessary eagles and live to ride crap to go but every little helps.

The following 3 users liked this post by cycocycle:
eighteight (09-03-2020), tar_snake (07-04-2023), Yankee Dog (05-03-2020)
Old 06-09-2019, 02:58 PM
cycocycle
Tourer

Going by the date stamp the tyre is 18 years old! Perfect tread and looks like new. Two new tyres ordered.
It's obvious now that this bike put up the majority of its mileage early in it's life. It has not done a lot of mileage recently. For that reason this almost a recommissioning exercise. I will be changing all fluids and changing hoses where necessary. Once I am satisfied that it is fully roadworthy and reliable I will then look at modifying it.

Quick Reply: 1994 Road King mods and upgrades.