General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Totaled or nah?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 11:22 AM
Ben Janzen
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Totaled or nah?

Wrecked my bike yesterday bringing it over to my new house on a dirt road, had a feeling i would and guess who was right... anyways it’s messed up pretty bad in places and not much in others but the frame is scratched/dinged and wasn’t sure what happens next. Pics below

Old 06-15-2019, 11:29 AM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

If you're asking what the insurance company's decision would be, I'd say it's a goner. They will look up what a used bike like yours is going for & that's what they'll pay.

Hope I'm wrong, good luck!

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 06-15-2019, 11:32 AM
Ben Janzen
Stage III

Originally Posted by ROCKOUT Rocker Products
If you're asking what the insurance company's decision would be, I'd say it's a goner. They will look up what a used bike like yours is going for & that's what they'll pay.

Hope I'm wrong, good luck!

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters
I have gap insurance and zero deductible and all that good stuff, I wasn’t sure and wanted a clearer picture on if i have to get a new one or they fix this one. My buddy said frame scratch=totaled but it didn’t look too bad to me, but it’s a harley so...

Old 06-15-2019, 11:36 AM
coach127
Tourer
Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

The frame has to be bent before they will total. Just went through this with a 17 CVO SG. 16.5 K in repairs but they fixed it. Then gave me 31K on 19 CVO RG. So don't be surprised if they opt to fix it. Just my 2 cents. Sorry this happened to your bike.

Old 06-15-2019, 11:39 AM
Ben Janzen
Stage III

Originally Posted by coach127
The frame has to be bent before they will total. Just went through this with a 17 CVO SG. 16.5 K in repairs but they fixed it. Then gave me 31K on 19 CVO RG. So don't be surprised if they opt to fix it. Just my 2 cents. Sorry this happened to your bike.
It’s a bummer but i’m ok at least. Bikes around 12k new so i’ve heard differing opinions but guess i’ll have to wait and see.

Old 06-16-2019, 01:00 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

No sense asking us, we don`t make that call.

Old 06-16-2019, 01:14 PM
Ben221
Road Warrior
Received 241 Likes on 156 Posts

Take a look at the neck and steering stops and around your foot peg mounts for any cracks in the paint indicating frame bending or stress. Very easy way for me to quickly total a bike when I wrote estimates.

Otherwise its a cost to at to repair v. replace. Example, If your bike is worth $12k and the salvage value is likely about 50% for scraped up Harley’s, so the estimate would need to be around $6k to total out.

Old 06-16-2019, 01:36 PM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 714 Likes on 625 Posts

laws have changed largely to liabilities so an insurance company will follow what protects them, they are also driven to make money at your loss.
i bought a brand new 1974 xlch, i even helped assy it at the dealer, in sept. 1974.
jan 1975 i took the front end off a 1972 chevy impala, yep, steel bumpers back then.
the frame was bent but the cast steel neck piece was intact. i took the machine and the pay-off.
threw the frame on a steel table and welded in stops, using heat sticks for temp control. i straightened the frame, still kicking today with 180,000 miles. the FSM had all the measurements. the only thing that will tell it was wrecked is the right foot peg stub is slightly bent and a small gouge on the cam cover.
so, all-n-all, paid 500 dollars for the 2500 dollar machine. what helped here was i knew the hd dealer was crooked and would total the machine so he could profit.
i wish i had cell phone with camera to capture his face when i arrived to load it on a trailer.

Last edited by bustert; 06-16-2019 at 01:40 PM.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:49 AM
damager1
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben Janzen
Wrecked my bike yesterday bringing it over to my new house on a dirt road, had a feeling i would and guess who was right... anyways it’s messed up pretty bad in places and not much in others but the frame is scratched/dinged and wasn’t sure what happens next. Pics below

Well I have to agree with the other guys... the repair cost would be huge going thru the official channels of the insurance company. Which, if there's no MAJOR structural damage they WILL try to fix.
I dunno man, this might be a marvelous opportunity if they rule in favor of repair! They'll just cut you an enormous check. That's what they did with me, anyways.

I simply took that check, fixed what NEEDED to be fixed to keep the bike safe, operational, and looking halfway decent, and pocketed the rest. Actually, it went to Uncle Sam for tax reasons, but nonetheless!!

Old 06-26-2019, 11:06 AM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,164 Likes on 3,520 Posts

No way a frame is going to bend from dumping it on a dirt road. C'mon, guys.

Simply put, insurers will generally total a vehicle if repair costs approach or exceed 80% of the actual cash value of the vehicle.

Quick Reply: Totaled or nah?