Harley Davidson Videos Post Video and Sound clips here. This forum is for videos pertaining to Harleys, Racing (Street/Strip)and motorcycle related Interviews.

Commuting to work on a motorcycle, pros & cons!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 11:38 AM
agueybana
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Commuting to work on a motorcycle, pros & cons!

First, let me start with I just started the new gig. My commute is a predictable and enjoyable & just few miles. Few minutes of winding back roads and few minutes inside the city with minimum traffic. Using your motorcycle to commute to work is no always a good solution. The cost of maintenance will eat up any other savings like fuel or parking payments. Let’s don’t forget about having fun on the rain or cold weather. Lol!

Please let me know if you ride to work & what’s are your pros & cons. Thanks for watching!

Last edited by agueybana; 06-15-2019 at 12:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Tony FXDR (06-19-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 12:17 PM
Zedbra
Road Warrior
Received 901 Likes on 497 Posts

My work is about 60 miles from my house, along a twisting ocean-side 4 lane highway for half of it. The other half, I get to jump into the HOV lane. Commuting on the bike has many perks for me.

agueybana (06-15-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 12:30 PM
agueybana
Road Master

Originally Posted by Zedbra
My work is about 60 miles from my house, along a twisting ocean-side 4 lane highway for half of it. The other half, I get to jump into the HOV lane. Commuting on the bike has many perks for me.
Sounds like a great ride!

Old 06-15-2019, 03:20 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,512 Likes on 1,301 Posts

Pros
Save Gas
Use Commute lane and N/C in fee lanes in some states
You won't need a psychiatrist
Less stress, ride condition yellow, relaxed awareness.
You just feel better about everything
Parking is not an issue and free in many places

Cons
You'll take the longest way home

The following 4 users liked this post by son of the hounds:
agueybana (06-15-2019), BelchFire (06-17-2019), shorelasHD (06-17-2019), twoglides13 (06-16-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 09:55 PM
agueybana
Road Master

Originally Posted by son of the hounds
Pros
Save Gas
Use Commute lane and N/C in fee lanes in some states
You won't need a psychiatrist
Less stress, ride condition yellow, relaxed awareness.
You just feel better about everything
Parking is not an issue and free in many places

Cons
You'll take the longest way home
I ride my bike almost every day, always take the longest way home!

Old 06-16-2019, 01:51 AM
2slow05
Tourer
Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

I use mine to commute with and i am about 30 miles one way, its a little bit of town riding 3-4 red lights and then cruise on 70mph on a 4 lane road.

The pros for me are fuel savings and i really enjoy riding motorycles, throw the cell phone into the trunk and go and forget about it, pretty relaxing for me.

my truck is a 2015 f150 4x4 and gets 15mpg so round trip it takes like 4 gallons x $3.59 a gallon for premuim fuel= $14.36 round trip

my motorcycle gets 38mpg so it takes around 2 gallons x $3.59= $7.18 round trip

so fuel savings for me is about half what it would cost me in my truck. I ride my motorcycle everyday unless it is raining when i leave for work.

really no cons for me other than when it is really hot, I am in Texas, i end up with a sweaty shirt when get to work but i work inside the AC all day so it dry out pretty fast.

The BIGGEST con for me is having to fill the bike up more often around 200 miles. I wish it had a larger fuel tank on it so i could go 350-400 miles

Last edited by 2slow05; 06-16-2019 at 01:57 AM.
agueybana (06-16-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 05:25 AM
agueybana
Road Master

Originally Posted by 2slow05
I use mine to commute with and i am about 30 miles one way, its a little bit of town riding 3-4 red lights and then cruise on 70mph on a 4 lane road.

The pros for me are fuel savings and i really enjoy riding motorycles, throw the cell phone into the trunk and go and forget about it, pretty relaxing for me.

my truck is a 2015 f150 4x4 and gets 15mpg so round trip it takes like 4 gallons x $3.59 a gallon for premuim fuel= $14.36 round trip

my motorcycle gets 38mpg so it takes around 2 gallons x $3.59= $7.18 round trip

so fuel savings for me is about half what it would cost me in my truck. I ride my motorcycle everyday unless it is raining when i leave for work.

really no cons for me other than when it is really hot, I am in Texas, i end up with a sweaty shirt when get to work but i work inside the AC all day so it dry out pretty fast.

The BIGGEST con for me is having to fill the bike up more often around 200 miles. I wish it had a larger fuel tank on it so i could go 350-400 miles
My commute is only 8.5 miles.

Old 06-16-2019, 05:34 AM
Hoginedgewood
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,190 Likes on 652 Posts

If you have to ask then you need to sell the bike. You obviously don't get it.

The following 4 users liked this post by Hoginedgewood:
agueybana (06-16-2019), bambambam (07-09-2019), BelchFire (06-17-2019), Maccam26 (06-25-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 05:37 AM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by agueybana
My commute is only 8.5 miles.
I agree with everyone's comments so far, but want to add a few things to consider. If your commute isn't long enough to allow your bike to get to full operating temp, such as a 8.5 miler, then it is adding wear and tear to the systems that monetarily may not out way the pros. That same short commute isn't particularly good for a car either, but the systems are larger and hold more fluids to counteract the water that doesn't get burned off, and you are less likely to cause stress on the average automobile on that short of a distance.

Storage, it all depends on what supplies you need to bring with you to work, and or your ability to store your riding gear either on your bike or somewhere in the office.

The following 2 users liked this post by skid_pimp:
RedOregon (06-17-2019), Sorce (06-16-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 06:05 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,527 Likes on 3,780 Posts

Lot of work. My last few years were spent on the bike year round. I did not leave on it if it was pouring rain or below freezing.

I worked in an office. Backshift. Parking was in the motorcycle area on a dark side street. Got there about 2:30 PM. Only 10 miles and 80% interstate. However, usually hot or cold. So after cooling off or warming up, I would change to office shirt and shoes.

At 5 PM, I would go up and move the bike to front main security entrance that had been 15-minute parking. Security was there 24/7.
Many a night, the weather would change and I may leave and come back with the cage. Many a night at 2:30 AM, there was black ice from dew. Got wet. My briefcase was a backpack
The bike never let me down. But it was twice the work and saved no money. Two tires cost more the 4 on a cage installed and last 1/4 the distance.

Few can really do it. Since I was management and had an office, I could get away with all that coming and going to make it safe. But I still put in the hours. Last 10 years, I worked 2:30 PM to 2:30 AM 5 days a week. A few more every Saturday and Sunday that quite often turned into another 12. (My time off was spent in Mexico on a bicycle for a month)

I did ride, however. Now that I am retired, I rarely ride. Got scared and don't have the energy to. The place I worked employed 20K. Bet there were maybe a 100 motorcycles. A bike is a hobby.
Depends on where you work but most workday drivers are really dangerous to be around. They have no regard for a bike. My friend who is still there just spent 6 months getting over a bad one. A driver did not see him and pulled in front of him hitting his front tire. He went down. only 20 miles an hour. Smashed his toes to a pulp on one foot. Broke his lower leg all around an already artificial knee. Broke his arm, shoulder and collar bone. I made the mistake an looked at all the plates and pins he now has. No matter how careful you are, enough miles and someone will get you. I've been riding since the 60s and never been down.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 06-16-2019 at 06:44 AM.
agueybana (07-07-2019)

Quick Reply: Commuting to work on a motorcycle, pros & cons!