General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fender seat bolt stuck!!

Old 06-16-2019, 06:25 PM
SimonDG
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question Fender seat bolt stuck!!

Hi all. I’m having an issue with the seat bolt that holds the seat onto the rear fender on my ‘15 FXDF. The bolt is not an original part and is just a regular screw that came with the bike. Unfortunately I did it up a little too tight last time I had the seat off, and now both the screw AND the mounting nut underneath the fender turns as well. This means I am unable to remove my seat currently and I can’t work out how to get the damn thing undone! Very frustrating to say the least... So all I can think of is removing the back wheel and jamming a Torx bit or something else into the brass bush to try and stop it from turning so I can snap the screw loose. Has anyone had this issue also, and if so, how did YOU get it out? This is my first post on HDF and any advice/ideas is appreciated...Thanks!!

Old 06-16-2019, 06:57 PM
ryan06
Tourer

Received 135 Likes on 70 Posts

Visegrips will save the day

Old 06-16-2019, 07:00 PM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,054 Likes on 630 Posts

YUP ! ^^^^^^^^^^^ You don't have to take the Tire Off .

Old 06-16-2019, 07:30 PM
mo cajun
Road Captain
Received 134 Likes on 83 Posts

I had a similar issue and used small vise grips, you could also drill it out

Old 06-16-2019, 11:36 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,371 Likes on 2,947 Posts

Welcome to the site.

The following users liked this post:
SimonDG (06-26-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 11:44 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,587 Posts

Originally Posted by mo cajun
I had a similar issue and used small vise grips, you could also drill it out
BEFORE using a drill above your rear tire, make sure that you have a guard over the drill bit to prevent penetration into the tire!

The following 2 users liked this post by 2AMGuy:
Midpegs (06-27-2019), SimonDG (06-18-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 04:54 AM
Gas Smasher
Road Captain

Received 647 Likes on 278 Posts

If the bolt is spinning while he is trying to turn it, I don't think it will hold still to drill it. I don't think I would go that route anyway until I had tried everything else I could think of. Probably pretty tough to get a grip on the nut with the seat tab still on there too unless you can get to the under side.

On an FXDF I would think it wouldn't be too difficult to reach up under the back fender. If you have a jack you could lift the bike up and get a little more clearance taking the weight off the suspension. I think I would try grabbing the nut with vise grips rather than trying to jam a Torx bit in it or anything. I doubt the nut is brass. I believe that nut is held into the fender with a "C" clip on the top side of the fender. If you can't get anything else to work you you could take a Dremel tool or die grinder and carefully grind off the head of the bolt. After the seat is off you could make an attempt to remove what is left of the bolt. This is where a drill may help if you can grip the nut. In the end, just replace the entire assembly if you can't get the bolt out.

Last edited by Gas Smasher; 06-17-2019 at 04:56 AM.
Midpegs (06-27-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 05:45 AM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Gas Smasher
If the bolt is spinning while he is trying to turn it, I don't think it will hold still to drill it. I don't think I would go that route anyway until I had tried everything else I could think of. Probably pretty tough to get a grip on the nut with the seat tab still on there too unless you can get to the under side.

On an FXDF I would think it wouldn't be too difficult to reach up under the back fender. If you have a jack you could lift the bike up and get a little more clearance taking the weight off the suspension. I think I would try grabbing the nut with vise grips rather than trying to jam a Torx bit in it or anything. I doubt the nut is brass. I believe that nut is held into the fender with a "C" clip on the top side of the fender. If you can't get anything else to work you you could take a Dremel tool or die grinder and carefully grind off the head of the bolt. After the seat is off you could make an attempt to remove what is left of the bolt. This is where a drill may help if you can grip the nut. In the end, just replace the entire assembly if you can't get the bolt out.
Drilling the head off a screw or bolt is far easier to do without damage to associated components than grinding it off. and even if it is free spinning you can usually drill it out fine unless it spins very very easily. If so finger pressure (with gloves) from the back side will allow you to drill it out fine. Remember to use the two step drill process and you'll be all set.

Midpegs (06-27-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 06:32 AM
e6fmf
Road Master
Received 125 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Seat

Suck it up. Take off the tire and do it right.

Old 06-17-2019, 06:34 AM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by e6fmf
Suck it up. Take off the tire and do it right.
Why is this the "right" way?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fender seat bolt stuck!!