2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Heritage Classic 100 mile report

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 03:06 PM
Tjenson123
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Heritage Classic 100 mile report

Picked up my 2019 Heritage Classic yesterday. Had to take it for a spin last night and would up doing 100 miles. My thoughts on the bike are a little skewed as I traded in my Ultra Limited for the Classic.

What I liked:
The lighter weight is the star for me. The Ultra had just too much bulk and I was constantly worried about dropping it when I stopped. One small slip and I would have joined the crowd of those who have dropped their bike.
Quick and nimble steering are so much fun. We don't have a lot of twisty roads in Nebraska but I can't wait to get on a road trip somewhere with roads that require cornering. Bike has the 107 but that is more than enough power to pull through turns and pull away from stoplights.
Stock handlebars fit me really well. May pull them back an inch or so but they feel good.
Love the overall look of the bike. This is what a HD should look like.
Left the exhaust stock and will not change it. Never been a big fan of "louder is better" so the more muted tone fits my ears.
Around town this will be a great bike.

What I am troubled by:
First mod will have to be a more effective windscreen. Getting hit by the tailwind from a semi going the opposite way is no bargain. Anything over 65 moves me around so much a long ride will wear me out.
Mod #2 will be driver floorboards. My feet are the same size as the boards so I know a long trip will not provide enough range to stretch out.
Engine vibration is the killer for me. Truly hoping it moderates as the engine gets broken in. Rode 100 miles and when I got home both hands were so cramped up I had trouble unsnapping my helmet. Might have had to stop for a break if not for the cruise control. That allowed me to work out some of the kinks in my hands. Have read on other threads that riders are happy with the vibration level but so far I don't agree. Will ride it till the 1000 mi check up but if it still feels this way then I will have them go over the bike to see if there is something amiss.
Whoever designed the saddlebags should have their pay cut in half. Won't hold even a half helmet, big metal brace limits what little space there is. Just my rain suit filled up almost half one bag.
Does Volkswagon know that Harly stole all the leftover Beetle horns and put them on this bike? What an anemic sound. I don't think I will be scaring anyone with that thing!

All in all very pleased with the possibilities for short trips and around town. The total lack of useable storage and the engine vibration issue will make longer trips more of a challenge.

Wondering if anyone else has the same impression on the vibration and if it gets smoother as the miles add up.

TJ

The following users liked this post:
porkster (07-13-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 05:09 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Congrats. About 16,000 miles on mine and loving it. These motors do improve with break in so hopefully yours will grow on you.

Windshield, I’m only 5’6 so the stocker is adequate for me. Maybe a taller long ride recurve would suit your height better. A “smaller” lighter bike than your Ultra will add a bit of fatigue overall as the bike will react to the road and wind a bit more. I think you will get more accustomed over time. You may also just plan slightly shorter legs to your cross country trips to be less taxing on the long haul.

Bags, not ideal as you’ve pointed out. Coming from a touring bike especially noticeable. I’d planned to replace mine, but I found I adapted a bit over time. Now I just pack accordingly and it’s fine, but may still swap down the road.

Vibration, mine doesn’t bother me but I think that’s individual to the rider and the bikes likely vary. One thing that may be causing your discomfort is gripping the bars too tight. With the extra buffeting you’re noticing I wonder if your holding on tighter to compensate. Might be more than you need if that’s the case. Hopefully it will smooth with miles, or you’ll relax more as you get used to it.

One thing that really improved my ride was switching to Michelin Commander II tires on the first change. The stock Dunlop tread seem to grab every irregularity and seam in the pavement. The Michelins instantly calmed down the bike down at freeway speeds and reminded me more of my Road King’s stability.

Like you, I really enjoy the lighter more nimble feel of the new Heritage to my previous RK. I think you’ll not regret the switch overall.
Report back and enjoy the bike!

Last edited by Thingfish; 07-13-2019 at 05:12 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Thingfish:
Isom’s Heritage (07-14-2019), rauchman (07-21-2019), Tjenson123 (07-15-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 06:46 PM
Hulkss
HDF Community Team
Received 1,848 Likes on 975 Posts

Originally Posted by Tjenson123
Wondering if anyone else has the same impression on the vibration and if it gets smoother as the miles add up.
I have an FLHCS 114 with torque cam and dyno-tuned with the H-D wideband auto tuning module. Runs smooth, mirrors are clear. No bothersom vibration.

I have a 21 inch Freedom windshield and Jess wind deflectors, no aerodynamic problems.

Here's how to make room for your feet: Foot control mods

I removed the stock horn and bolted one Hella low tone D90 to the center horn mounting bolt. Sounds much better.

You will need to install the H-D front engine guard and some highway pegs of your choice to really stretch out.

I added the H-D matching TourPak with the solo detachable rack mount.

Last edited by Hulkss; 07-13-2019 at 06:54 PM.
Tjenson123 (07-15-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 09:13 PM
Tozco
Road Captain
Received 205 Likes on 132 Posts

Vibration in the dual balancer solid mounted M8 Softails is unlike the normal HD vibration. It really can agrevate carpal tunnel because it is a high frequency vibe in the bars. I've taken out a bunch of them and they all do it to one degree or another. The big variable is the rider's sensitivity to vibrations. Most people think these bikes are smooth, but not me.

Old 07-13-2019, 10:07 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,154 Likes on 722 Posts

I've got Avon Air Cushion grips. I don't feel any vibration whatsoever.

As far as the stock bags go... Yeah... Don't care for the design either. Likely will be replacing them with Leather Pros.

Old 07-13-2019, 10:07 PM
Hulkss
HDF Community Team
Received 1,848 Likes on 975 Posts

Originally Posted by Tozco
Vibration in the dual balancer solid mounted M8 Softails is unlike the normal HD vibration. It really can agrevate carpal tunnel because it is a high frequency vibe in the bars. I've taken out a bunch of them and they all do it to one degree or another. The big variable is the rider's sensitivity to vibrations. Most people think these bikes are smooth, but not me.
How much are you able to ride your Softail?

Old 07-13-2019, 10:16 PM
Tozco
Road Captain
Received 205 Likes on 132 Posts

I can tolerate a 400 mile day. I've put 12,000 miles on it so far. I've been able to manage the numbness, but I keep thinking of a rubber mounted Road King.

Old 07-14-2019, 08:36 AM
FM500
Road Master
Received 3,435 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by Tjenson123
Picked up my 2019 Heritage Classic yesterday. Had to take it for a spin last night and would up doing 100 miles. My thoughts on the bike are a little skewed as I traded in my Ultra Limited for the Classic.
Whoever designed the saddlebags should have their pay cut in half. Won't hold even a half helmet, big metal brace limits what little space there is. Just my rain suit filled up almost half one bag.

TJ
The whole bags are a bad joke. Through the hole in the floor also rain penetrates over the inside folding of the leather cover.
So this person should better be better educated or fired.

Old 07-14-2019, 09:38 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

I have 21,000 miles on my 18.
I find my right hand can go numb sometimes but usually after shaking it out it's fine for the rest of the day.
Engine guard with highway pegs helps to stretch out.
Stock seat sucks, after an hour my tailbone hurts for the rest of the day. It's a bit better with the Ultimate seat but I think the riding position is more cramped than the old Heritage.
I'm ok with the windshield. I don't really notice any vibration.

Tjenson123 (07-15-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 11:48 PM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member

Received 15,090 Likes on 6,141 Posts

Hmmm... my 2013 Heritage serves my well. My left hand my go a little numb on long trips but that should be normal on a Harley

Last edited by JustDave13; 07-14-2019 at 11:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Heritage Classic 100 mile report