Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

84 Lowrider Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 07:37 AM
Groucho-17SGS
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default 84 Lowrider Rebuild

Greetings everyone. I have been on the forum for a few months mainly hanging out on the M8 page. However, I also have an 1984 Lowrider with Shovelhead engine that was running when I stopped riding it in 2009. I am planning to start a rebuild on it this winter and am just looking ahead for what I might be getting into. I have owned the bike since 2004 and when I purchased it was in good running shape. I rode it to work and for pleasure on the weekends all the time. Decided to purchase a Heritage Softtail in 2008 and the shovel kind of got left behind, I have already read a lot of good information on this site and am hopeful this group will be able to help me through the rebuild. My intent is to take the scooter to the frame and build back up. The frame was powder coated in about 2000 so I expect the condition should be good but will see when I get there. Couple questions to get started.
- Where is a good place to purchase parts? I see JP has some items just wondering if there are other sites/stores out there. I looked briefly online and didn't see anything. When I was rebuilding a 66 mustang CJ Pony had about anything needed. Looking for a similar type site.
- While the bike was sitting up I walked out in garage and saw a large puddle of oil under the bike. The oil tank is empty so I assume that is where the oil came from. The leak was from the back of the primary at the belt. Yes it is a belt drive, shovelhead. I have been told there is a seal inside the primary that is known to fail so I am assuming this is what I need to go after. Any other ideas?
- Are there reliability/performance mods that I should do while I have the bike tore down? I am not looking to make this a speedster, just want a reliable bar hopper. One friend told me the OEM carbs suck and should be replaced first thing. I will do some searches here to figure out what carb I should go with. Are there other mods that should be addressed during the rebuild?

I look forward to the insights and knowledge I am going to gain researching this site. I will have to read up on how to post pictures and will get some on as soon as I figure it out. Thanks in advance for all the assistance I have and believe will receive.

scott

The following users liked this post:
rockher_man (07-28-2021)
Old 07-21-2019, 07:55 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,050 Likes on 1,508 Posts

Worthy Project.
You gonna go for at least period Correct?? If so Forget Chiwanese Parts...
Restoration??? Can be about anything that way...
I personally prefer Survivors... but with PC on the Frame... IMO that ends "survivor" status... But In some ways I am a Purist...
When you have a Direction... keep this Moving ... always interesting to watch another Build!!!

http://www.amraonline.com/BikePics/poor79rt.jpg

The following 2 users liked this post by Racepres:
Groucho-17SGS (07-22-2019), rockher_man (07-28-2021)
Old 07-21-2019, 10:13 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,210 Likes on 1,480 Posts

You haven’t mentioned if the bike is stock, close to stock, or just a custom build so it is difficult to come up with a response to your question. Pics would help.

There is a website called Vital V-Twin Cycles. They sell V-twin, S&S, Andrews, Eastern, Colony and Pauchgo parts. Used them a couple of times now. Prices aren’t too bad. Personally I avoid J&P. Service was slow, you don’t get a lot of help when talking to customer service and for me their pricing sucks, and it is all Twainese parts.

I also have several eBay sellers that I have ordered from and who have good prices on OEM/NOS stuff. There are also a few who have some of the leftover Superior/Dixie made in Japan stuff.

Think the problem with the large oil is dumping. You might pull your clutch inspection cover and see how much oil is in there (assuming you have a stock oiling system and not customized). From your description though oil has bypassed the check ball in the pump and drained into your primary case.

Lots of folks update to an S&S e-carb. Easy to install and easy to tune. That said, properly tuned, the stock Kehein carb work fine for your everyday rider.

If you are taking the bike down to the frame take pics as you go. Tag and bag all the small parts (I do it by section...motor, tranny, brakes front/rear, front end, electrical and such).

If it was a runner before you parked it you probably only need things like seals and gaskets. Just take your time and do one area at a time. When you get to reassembly, I like to make it a roller first (frame, front end & wheel, rear swingarm, shocks and wheel). With the FX series, electrical comes next cuz all the wiring is in the headlight (or most of it anyway). When cleaning your wiring harness, it becomes the perfect time to look for/repair/replace any frayed wires as well.

At age 72 it is much easier for me to put the lower end back in the bike and then do my cylinders, heads and rocker covers. But hey if you are still young and can roll the complete motor into the frame, or you have buddy assist, you can assemble your motor while on an engine stand.

Make sure you have a service manual and a parts book. Post up pics as you go. Lots of folks here with lots of information and willing to assist.

Last edited by panz4ever; 07-21-2019 at 10:17 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by panz4ever:
Architect (07-22-2019), Groucho-17SGS (07-22-2019), Racepres (07-29-2021), rockher_man (07-28-2021)
Old 07-21-2019, 06:23 PM
john lee
Road Warrior
Received 342 Likes on 287 Posts

primary or rear belt ?

Old 07-22-2019, 07:27 PM
Groucho-17SGS
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Rear belt drive, haven't gotten into the primary yet. I believe most everything is stock on the bike with the typical changes, seat, handlebars, air cleaner, pegs, etc. I know all but the original owner who only had the bike for less than 5K. Want to stay period correct but if there is something that will improve performance or safety without taking away the nostalgia look I might be interested. Looking forward to all the help and will figure the picture thing out.
scott

Old 07-22-2019, 09:37 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Groucho-17SGS
Rear belt drive, haven't gotten into the primary yet. I believe most everything is stock on the bike with the typical changes, seat, handlebars, air cleaner, pegs, etc. I know all but the original owner who only had the bike for less than 5K. Want to stay period correct but if there is something that will improve performance or safety without taking away the nostalgia look I might be interested. Looking forward to all the help and will figure the picture thing out.
scott
Possibly a Stock type... Worthy Project indeed... If it needed improvement... I know nothing about it... as the Bone Stock 1984 FXS was a Dandy!!!

However I doubt the Original Owner only put 5k miles on it... You gots an '84 FXS with 5k miles on???? Or... there have been other owners since original??

Last edited by Racepres; 07-22-2019 at 09:40 PM.
Old 07-23-2019, 02:43 PM
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,003 Likes on 6,203 Posts

Good luck on your build.

Old 07-23-2019, 06:33 PM
john lee
Road Warrior
Received 342 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Racepres
Possibly a Stock type... Worthy Project indeed... If it needed improvement... I know nothing about it... as the Bone Stock 1984 FXS was a Dandy!!!

However I doubt the Original Owner only put 5k miles on it... You gots an '84 FXS with 5k miles on???? Or... there have been other owners since original??
my 80 lowrider has only 17000 kms

Old 07-24-2019, 09:17 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by john lee
my 80 lowrider has only 17000 kms
You bought it New???
Forgot to ride it???

Old 07-24-2019, 01:00 PM
1981 suprglide
Road Captain