2024+ Touring Models Discuss the currently offered Touring Models

24 street glide questions possible purchase

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2024, 02:04 AM
sumncguy
Road Warrior

Received 215 Likes on 130 Posts
Default 24 street glide questions possible purchase

I continue to read here but have specific questions.

24 street glide owners only please.

1. Do the new rear shocks perform well. On my 19 SG stock over big bumps felt like a bang/blown shock.

2. What are the mods that the 5' 8" crowd are making to make the fit "right". Reach of bars, seat (if necessary), which highway pegs mounts work.

3. Seat comfort. What's the common comment/feeling on riding a 12 hour day on the stock seat.

4. Head light. Understand it's led an probably bright. Brightness = lumens, how the light is thrown = lux. I'm actually more interested in lux. How is the night vision of the stock lighting. ? Im a diabetic.

5. Nav is very important to me often do long routes. I see android auto is not supported out of the box. What are those who have androids using for turn buy turn nav ?

Might have other questions ..

Thanks in advance for the help guys and gals.

Last edited by sumncguy; 05-02-2024 at 02:06 AM.
Old 05-02-2024, 05:21 AM
Germansheperd
Road Warrior
Received 721 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by sumncguy

1. Do the new rear shocks perform well. On my 19 SG stock over big bumps felt like a bang/blown shock.

2. What are the mods that the 5' 8" crowd are making to make the fit "right". Reach of bars, seat (if necessary), which highway pegs mounts work.

3. Seat comfort. What's the common comment/feeling on riding a 12 hour day on the stock seat.

4. Head light. Understand it's led an probably bright. Brightness = lumens, how the light is thrown = lux. I'm actually more interested in lux. How is the night vision of the stock lighting. ? Im a diabetic.

5. Nav is very important to me often do long routes. I see android auto is not supported out of the box. What are those who have androids using for turn buy turn nav ?

See your local Harley dealer.

The following 2 users liked this post by Germansheperd:
gabhart (05-02-2024), RevRides (05-13-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 05:49 AM
sumncguy
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Germansheperd
See your local Harley dealer.
This ain't my first rodeo. I want to hear from owners. Their responses are better suited to answer these questions.

And a 20 minute test ride doesnt answer these questions either.

Last edited by sumncguy; 05-02-2024 at 05:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Mr. JHammond (05-02-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 06:04 AM
chopper_man
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,627 Likes on 963 Posts

Factory NAV is built in but not enabled by default. Can be enabled for $350. Comes already enabled on CVO's.

Old 05-02-2024, 06:11 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Probably not too many owners who've been taking longer treks a/o yet, but I think @Germansheperd is trying to indicate the need for a test run as it will help with some of your questions (1-3, at least). Also, whenever I took bikes for test, the dealer let me trek as long/far as I wanted...I ride for ~1-hour. Within that time you should have a feel for ride comfort & sizing. Then it's Q&A time w/ dealer on any other things you're concerned about.

FWIW, these new '24 bikes look to be a great upgrade & if you end up buying - congrats. Good luck w/ the hunt.

Old 05-02-2024, 06:28 AM
sumncguy
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by chopper_man
Factory NAV is built in but not enabled by default. Can be enabled for $350. Comes already enabled on CVO's.
Thanks Chop .. yeah I did read that out on ****** Harleys page. Criminals !

Old 05-02-2024, 06:31 AM
sumncguy
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Probably not too many owners who've been taking longer treks a/o yet, but I think @Germansheperd is trying to indicate the need for a test run as it will help with some of your questions (1-3, at least). Also, whenever I took bikes for test, the dealer let me trek as long/far as I wanted...I ride for ~1-hour. Within that time you should have a feel for ride comfort & sizing. Then it's Q&A time w/ dealer on any other things you're concerned about.

FWIW, these new '24 bikes look to be a great upgrade & if you end up buying - congrats. Good luck w/ the hunt.
Working it .. but I dont spring unless the $$$ are right. If I do the bike will be pretty much paid in full. Maybe finance 5 or 8k. We'll see.

Old 05-02-2024, 06:35 AM
billbrummett
Tourer
Received 174 Likes on 103 Posts

I have 7k on my '24 Streetglide. To get a good experience with the new suspension, I suggest you adjust the rear shock carefully. My dealer had mine too firm, and when i got home I dialed it in and love it. I usually do all dayers, around 300 miles, so I have at least some experience there. The seat is firm and sometimes gets a bit achy by mid afternoon. I just switch butts, and its ok. I have iphone, so cant address the carplay. My carplay is buggy in that it doesn't reconnect on startup. I have to turn bluetooth on and off on my phone to connect. I really don't us it much, since I know Florida state roads like the back of my hand. I am riding to Ky next week and will prolly use it find motels and stuff, but thats about it. I am 6'0, so I replaced the shield with the Harley 10' windsplitter. The bike is borderline wonderful, a virtual wet dream! I came off an '18 Heritage 114, and the road difference between cruiser and tourer is great. I have little problem with staying on the bike all day in heat. oh, and I installed $35 fleabay highway pegs, non extended. They work great. any other questions?

The following users liked this post:
LJHOG (05-04-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 07:02 AM
sumncguy
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by billbrummett
I have 7k on my '24 Streetglide. To get a good experience with the new suspension, I suggest you adjust the rear shock carefully. My dealer had mine too firm, and when i got home I dialed it in and love it. I usually do all dayers, around 300 miles, so I have at least some experience there. The seat is firm and sometimes gets a bit achy by mid afternoon. I just switch butts, and its ok. I have iphone, so cant address the carplay. My carplay is buggy in that it doesn't reconnect on startup. I have to turn bluetooth on and off on my phone to connect. I really don't us it much, since I know Florida state roads like the back of my hand. I am riding to Ky next week and will prolly use it find motels and stuff, but thats about it. I am 6'0, so I replaced the shield with the Harley 10' windsplitter. The bike is borderline wonderful, a virtual wet dream! I came off an '18 Heritage 114, and the road difference between cruiser and tourer is great. I have little problem with staying on the bike all day in heat. oh, and I installed $35 fleabay highway pegs, non extended. They work great. any other questions?
Thanks Bill this is the kind of stuff Im interested in. We just did Hillsborough to the start of Moonshiners28 up to Hellbender, the Dragon and picked up the Cherohala in Telico plains. Then back home. I had 998 on my trip counter. This is typical for our group of old fat bald grumpy guys. Overnighter.

For right now, no I dont have any other questions .. but Im sure more will pop up as I run through the buying process and kick the tires.

Thanks again man ! and safe travels.

Old 05-02-2024, 07:29 AM
ChrisHo
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4,345 Likes on 1,348 Posts

I will answer from the perspective a Road Glide owner to the related questions. Flat out go ride one. I rode both during the same test ride.

1. The shocks are significantly improved over the previous generation Street Glide and Road Glide. Put it this way, I went into 23 looking to buy a Street Glide but came away with a Low Rider ST as the suspension difference was very noticeable. I switched to the Road Glide in 24 because it just rode better than the Low Rider ST and by default it is far better than the 23 Street Glide I tested. Now that isn't to say that big bumps aren't going to wake you up but they are far better managed

2. I am still looking for highway pegs for my Road Glide, I too am 5'8" - my inseam is about 30". The stock guards are a bit out there for me and I am looking for a solution that doesn't go wider than those... are their solutions which mount to the top of the guards? As for the bars, the one standout for me when riding the Street Glide is I actually preferred them over the Road Glide. However I was able to easily adjust my bars and having lowered them a bit I am content. The dealer did tell me that there is very little adjustment to be had with stock bars on the Street Glide.

3. I see no need to replace it but I did buy a Harley backrest for mine. I have done a three hour day and it was fine, a little more pressure on the back end than previous seats. I can flat foot easily with it and that is what matters to me.

5. there supposedly are methods to get Android working on these bikes. I did see more than review of the Harley navigation and it came down to if you can use your phone then its a better option and cheaper. You might end up with a good phone mount if the AA work around doesn't pan out.

Quick Reply: 24 street glide questions possible purchase