Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet lense/eye vibration

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2024, 08:49 AM
ewhitefo
Advanced
Received 53 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Helmet lense/eye vibration

I realize this isn't touring bike related but since your my guys I thought I would ask here. I typically don't wear a closed face helmet but I am on call sometimes, no not a doctor just a regular factory grunt, and need the ability to answer the phone while riding so I have a comm system and need to wear one. Anyhow I was on a nice 70 mile loop with my wife last night and noticed, visor down, tinted sun shield down inside, pinlock installed, the vibration of the lenses over bumps really sorta messes with my vision, as I get older obviously my eyesight isn't as sharp but I can pick up this wiggle/vibration quite a bit. Just an HJC i90 helmet. Anyone else notice this? I did put up the sunscreen inside and still noticed it. It does not feel like wind its just typical road vibration.

Last edited by ewhitefo; 05-09-2024 at 08:55 AM.
Old 05-09-2024, 09:00 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,536 Likes on 4,078 Posts

Is your helmet face shield or the pinlock loose.....?

I'm 67 yrs old, and on multi-day trips that involve long runs through the desert, I will wear a modular HJC helmet. I've even ridden with the face shield up one click...

I have not seen/noticed any wiggle or vibration...

The following users liked this post:
Highway Handler (05-09-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 10:03 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,318 Likes on 863 Posts

I've found pinlock lenses oddly unpleasant to look through.
So, I'd suggest taking it out an going for a ride. If the problem is gone, there's your answer.

Old 05-09-2024, 10:07 AM
ewhitefo
Advanced

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
I've found pinlock lenses oddly unpleasant to look through.
So, I'd suggest taking it out an going for a ride. If the problem is gone, there's your answer.
"Oddly unpleasant" Thats a good description, it feels like something is just off and the vibration makes it worse. removing it is my next move, everything is tight, it is an aftermarket pinlock brand that does fit very nicely but Yes its coming off to see if that's the issue..

hattitude (05-09-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 01:15 PM
don67
Cruiser
Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts

+1 on ditching the pinlock, although more for night vision than the vibration you describe.

If the problem persists, consider wind buffeting as the possible cause. Windshield deflectors, vents and/or fork fangs all help.

Old 05-09-2024, 01:35 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,318 Likes on 863 Posts

Since pinlocks come on and off pretty easily, I think it's worth trying.

Not that air buffeting of the visor and then helmet and head can't be real. My Heritage with the stock windshield is obnoxious about this. The windshield is low, so the air stream going over basically hits me in the forehead, joggling the heck out of everything. As I like riding with the face shield up on my helmet, I'll do what I typically do, and replace the windshield with a taller one I look through. That's normally fixed all the problems for me in the past on other bikes.

Old 05-09-2024, 02:55 PM
don67
Cruiser
Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
The windshield is low, so the air stream going over basically hits me in the forehead, joggling the heck out of everything. As I like riding with the face shield up on my helmet, I'll do what I typically do, and replace the windshield with a taller one I look through. That's normally fixed all the problems for me in the past on other bikes.
Lol, bigger shields give me a headache due to the pressure fluctuations. I usually end up with a shorter shield, wind deflectors and ear plugs.

Buffetting is one of those "your mileage may vary" things. Personal experimentation is the only way to solve it.

Old 05-11-2024, 06:26 AM
LazySundays
Road Captain
Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts

I have the same helmet and have no vibration at all. I'm using an HJC pinlock. Try riding without the pinlock and see if it changes. Does it do it with the sun shade up or down, or does it matter?

Old 05-15-2024, 08:13 AM
ewhitefo
Advanced

So I tried something, while sitting at a red light I opened up all my shields, eyes wide open and noticed the vibration of my head/helmet creates the same minor effect, have not had a chance to ride on the Highway since original question without pinlock etc.. the sunshield up or down made no difference. I am goin gto try my light beanie and sunglasses and see if its just my old eyes playing tricks. I just don't recall this last year but I did not wear a full face at all either till this year.

Old 05-15-2024, 08:54 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,526 Likes on 1,092 Posts

You just need to trade-in for an M8 bike. Those don't vibrate like your King at a stop. Problem solved!

Quick Reply: Helmet lense/eye vibration