Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Turn Signal Woes

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2024, 03:46 PM
Saheim
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Turn Signal Woes

Guys,

I'm sure I am missing the obvious here but I am lost AND have already broken a few things. Hopefully someone here can get me straightened out.

I have watched plenty of videos on the removal of rear turn signals. However, all the ones I watch have one thing in common - a NUT on the inside. I do not have that set up. I am not sure if my rear signals are stock, the bike has a quick detach sissy bar so the shaft of the signal is long enough to go through the little "donut" mount for the back rest. It aslo has a small chrome oval, between it and the fender, covering a 2nd hole. Here's where it gets weird - I do NOT have a retention nut on the inside of the fender. There is a flat bar (used to retain wires) that runs from the front fender strut bolt to the rear one). This piece of flat bar has female threaded sleeves installed in it. The threaded sleeves extend into the fender (from the inside out) to meet the signal shaft which is not long enough to go all the way through even if i wanted to put a nut on it. On the other end of the signal, the bullet shaped housing is also threaded.

Here is where it went totally bad - While trying to re-install my signal, it got pretty tight before it was facing rearward. I had hoped the threads in the housing turned against the threads on the fender side and could be used as a sort of jam nut. Unfortunately I could not find a way to lock the fitting while the signal faced rearward. As you have probably guessed, I over torqued it and broke the little threaded sleeve out of the flat bar that runs along the inside of the fender.

Harley says these bars are about 26 bux. I'm fine buying a pair and will probably just buy a pair of signals as well (I also ended up cutting a bunch of wires, long story). HOWEVER, I do not want to get new flat bars and new signals only to find out I still have no clue how these are designed to be tightened.

Is anyone familiar with the set up I'm talking about? How do you tighten AND index the signals correctly?

I can get some pix up, tomorrow, if y'all need me to.

Thank You!

2013 Dyna Street Bob

Old 05-14-2024, 07:56 PM
Saheim
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Inside of rear left sognal