Twin Cam Motors Twin Cam 1998 thru 2017

Small Oil Leak: 05 Deluxe

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2024, 04:44 PM
HooksNashville
Intermediate
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Small Oil Leak: 05 Deluxe

Purchased the bike 02/24 without a leak. Immediately I knew I wanted to change the cam tensioner pads and put 16" apes with assoicated cables. Completed both of those tanks. Sometime later I notice a relatively small drip of oil on the floor. If I were to somehow find myself with the bike in the air and directly over my head , this would close to the transmission drain plug area. The tranny drain is dry (I did not drain during new clutch cable). The cam chest seal is dry, motor oil drain plug dry (did drain during work and replaced the oring). The primary oil seal is dry. Closer inspection shows the drip coming off the left (if sitting on the bike) front of the shock under the bike. I can't im ​​​​​​agine that's where this oil is coming from but maybe it is. Using a mirror and light, ive crawled all over this thing and cannot find the source. it's been a few weeks now and I feel I can rule out and type of spillage from the repair. Common sense says... no leaky.... I do work and have leaky..... it's something that ive touched but hell I can't find anything. Now the oil drip seems to be very consistent with the type of oil I topped off the primary, tranny and motor with, after the work was complete. Im at a loss here . Any ideas?

(On the bike) Left shock. drip on center and front

Tranny drain dry

Old 05-10-2024, 04:56 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,445 Likes on 884 Posts

Originally Posted by HooksNashville
Purchased the bike 02/24 without a leak. Immediately I knew I wanted to change the cam tensioner pads and put 16" apes with assoicated cables. Completed both of those tanks. Sometime later I notice a relatively small drip of oil on the floor. If I were to somehow find myself with the bike in the air and directly over my head , this would close to the transmission drain plug area. The tranny drain is dry (I did not drain during new clutch cable). The cam chest seal is dry, motor oil drain plug dry (did drain during work and replaced the oring). The primary oil seal is dry. Closer inspection shows the drip coming off the left (if sitting on the bike) front of the shock under the bike. I can't im ​​​​​​agine that's where this oil is coming from but maybe it is. Using a mirror and light, ive crawled all over this thing and cannot find the source. it's been a few weeks now and I feel I can rule out and type of spillage from the repair. Common sense says... no leaky.... I do work and have leaky..... it's something that ive touched but hell I can't find anything. Now the oil drip seems to be very consistent with the type of oil I topped off the primary, tranny and motor with, after the work was complete. Im at a loss here . Any ideas?

(On the bike) Left shock. drip on center and front

Tranny drain dry
My guess is the transmission drain plug. Try to look between the top of the shock and the bottom of the tranny and see if it's in straight and not cocked at a slight angle. Sometimes the shock gets in the way and I've seen that plug cross threaded and leaking. If so, pull it out and put it in straight and it will seal. Also a little thread sealant might help too. If it is to cause you may want to chase the threads too.

Old 05-17-2024, 10:03 AM
MotorSeven
Cruiser
Received 43 Likes on 23 Posts

Also, check where the Stator wires go into the Primary case(front/left). There is a grommet there that gets hard over time and it leaks only when the engine is running. Mine started leaking within a week of buying it off the original owner. Instead of draining oil, & taking the primary cover off, and disconnecting the Stator wires to replace a 20cent grommet, I degreased it from the outside and slathered on Permatex Ultra gasket sealer. So far, no leaks in 8k miles.

Old 05-21-2024, 05:58 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,573 Likes on 4,092 Posts

In case you haven't fixed it yet.....

It's hard to tell in your pic, but that black mark could be a buggered up o-ring and that's why the trans plug is leaking...

You could luck out and just need an o-ring.

A dealer did that once to my trans oil plug o-ring, way back when I let them service my bikes.