2024+ Touring Models Discuss the currently offered Touring Models

Issues with rain?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2024, 09:15 AM
rds1778
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Exclamation Issues with rain?

Anyone have issues after riding in the rain on their new '24?

Yesterday on my way home from work, on my 2024 Road Glide, I rode through some moderate rain for about five minutes. About ten minutes after the rain stopped the bike started to shudder while doing about 50 mph for a few seconds, as if the bike shutdown/fuel injection cut out. It rode fine after for a mile or two and did it again. I got off the road and it died in first gear. Restarted and it ran for a few seconds and died again. I checked spark plug wires, battery connection, and connectors I could get to. Obviously, water got into something that it wasn't supposed to. Had the bike towed home and the dealer is picking it up this morning. Anyway....

Has anyone run into this problem or similar with the new models? I'll post here again when I get a diagnosis. Thanks.

Old 05-22-2024, 09:19 AM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,389 Likes on 2,046 Posts

What air filter is on this bike? Could be too much rain for the exposed filter?

The following 2 users liked this post by Goose_NC:
BrandonSmith (05-22-2024), mjwebb (05-22-2024)
Old 05-22-2024, 09:33 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,851 Likes on 4,573 Posts

I live the the PNW and approaching 7000 miles now, some of which were very wet rides, it has not exhibited any ill effects of water. Mine is stock and I did remove the AC cover after one particular drenching and there was water pooled up inside that I soaked up with towel. like mentioned above, if you have an open AC / AF and didn't use rain sock then that is certainly a possible explanation..

The following users liked this post:
rds1778 (05-22-2024)
Old 05-22-2024, 09:35 AM
rds1778
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Goose_NC
It has the heavy breather and I did think of that, but I have a hard time believing I was in the rain long enough for that and the fact it didn't have the issue right away. We'll see.

Old 05-22-2024, 08:10 PM
Taxgod4u
Road Master
Received 1,054 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by rds1778
It has the heavy breather and I did think of that, but I have a hard time believing I was in the rain long enough for that and the fact it didn't have the issue right away. We'll see.
May nto be actual rain drops but uber moist air. Multiply your displacement times RPM times riding time and you will be amazed how much air your passed through the filter.

Old 05-23-2024, 06:29 AM
South Jersey Dave
Advanced
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
I live the the PNW and approaching 7000 miles now, some of which were very wet rides, it has not exhibited any ill effects of water. Mine is stock and I did remove the AC cover after one particular drenching and there was water pooled up inside that I soaked up with towel. like mentioned above, if you have an open AC / AF and didn't use rain sock then that is certainly a possible explanation..
When I bought my '24 Street Glide last month I asked if it came with or needed a rain sock and was told that they don't make them for the '24s because they weren't necessary with the new design. I'd have thought that with new one facing fully forward that it'd have been even more necessary. Made me scratch my head a little.

Old 05-23-2024, 07:24 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,987 Likes on 1,565 Posts

Originally Posted by Goose_NC
I have wondered about the factory filter that started with rushmores that the intake is forward. That has been 10 years, so I guess it is not an issue. But I do know people with the aftermarket once that suck from the front that get choked out in the rain.

Old 05-23-2024, 08:54 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,851 Likes on 4,573 Posts

Originally Posted by South Jersey Dave
When I bought my '24 Street Glide last month I asked if it came with or needed a rain sock and was told that they don't make them for the '24s because they weren't necessary with the new design. I'd have thought that with new one facing fully forward that it'd have been even more necessary. Made me scratch my head a little.
they don't need one for the OEM covers because of the back plate on the air filter..as the rain comes in it cannot proceed directly to the TB, it disperses down and to the sides .. it's a better design not only for that, but for not having breather tubes routed directly into the TB

The following users liked this post:
South Jersey Dave (05-26-2024)
Old 05-26-2024, 07:15 AM
South Jersey Dave
Advanced
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Good to know, thanks for the info!

Old 05-30-2024, 10:40 AM
sumncguy
Road Warrior

Received 233 Likes on 141 Posts

I think maybe Ill ask wifey for one of her old panty hose thangys.. cut a leg off and throw it in the bags just in case.

Quick Reply: Issues with rain?