Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Motorcycle parking in the Florida Keys "Secure?"

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 10:34 PM
Fathertime500
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Motorcycle parking in the Florida Keys "Secure?"

Never been to the Keys before but looking at Google street view I see there is not much room on the streets for parking a bike. I guess side streets are the main parking areas. How secure? Police presence? Suggestions? FT

Old 03-16-2012, 06:20 AM
VA_Grumpy_Biker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was down there last year - one week before fantasy fest. On the main drag (sorry forgot the street name) parking is hard to come by. Unless you park early, most is taken. There are side streets, but some are marked for parking for the folks living there. If you are staying on or near the main drag, you are better off walking. The whole main street can be walked in less than an hour - provided you don't stop at any the bars. We found only one public parking area any where near the main drag and that was expensive. The words of advice are "park your bike and walk"

Old 03-16-2012, 06:48 AM
Fathertime500
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like good advice. The wife add I will take our walking shoes. Thanks FT

Old 03-16-2012, 07:05 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 790 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by Fathertime500
Never been to the Keys before but looking at Google street view I see there is not much room on the streets for parking a bike. I guess side streets are the main parking areas. How secure? Police presence? Suggestions? FT
The meter maids do not play in the keys..pay for parking..or get a ticket..there are a few pay lots and meters. Most require at least a block or two at minimum of walking. There are also a limited number of premium location parking meters for short term.
Security from theft has been of limited concern as long as proper precautions are taken with locks and covers for overnight. Much more likely to have a tourist back into bike or a tourist sit on your bike for picture. You may wish to consider renting near Duval (maybe 1-3 blocks away) and that way parking is included and most things are with-in walking distance.
Lots of info. under the search function "key west".....never speed in any part of the keys..many drop downs to 35mph...tickets, tickets

Old 03-16-2012, 07:41 AM
02Deuces
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have lived in FL for most of my life now and never been to the Keys.....Maybe I need to take a few days this summer and ride down....

Have fun on your trip.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:19 AM
Dr.ultra2010
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Going in sept,have 3 rooms at southern most hotel,supposed to be next to duvall st.????

Old 03-16-2012, 11:49 AM
ptl203
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I was down there 2 years ago with the bike for a few nights. We stayed at a hotel on the north end of the island but traveled to Duvall St and the Main St area (I think that was the name)...I didn't have a problem parking at anytime, nor did I have a problem with the speed...guess I was lucky. We were there in February though

Old 03-16-2012, 02:56 PM
capt_brian
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me and the wife drove down in October to visit some friends who live close by. We took our bycycles with us (drove the truck down). Our friends picked us up and we headed down to Duval! Had a great time. The only problem driving to Duval is parking, if you pay to park along the street not bad. They do have a couple parking lots that are SCAMS down there and use a bullshit towing company. Best bet, WALK. Otherwise, use your best judgement about where you park. The mistake can be rather costly, as our friend have found out (actually living down there) a few times at well over $100 a shot for towing fees! Have a great time!

Old 03-17-2012, 10:51 AM
rjheff
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just got home from Bike Week and the Keys. Ate at a place called two friends restaraunt on Front St off of Duval. They had motorcycle only parking in front. Ate there and then hung out on Duval with no problems.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:59 PM
FinallyRiding
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Just returned from bike week and took a trip to the keys. Very congested but did find parking in a pay lot. Walked to Alfonsos , best seafood I have ever eaten.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle parking in the Florida Keys "Secure?"