Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 FLHP different tune than civilian bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 04:46 PM
trispeed
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 FLHP different tune than civilian bikes?

Is it possible that Harley is sneaking a different tune on the Police bikes? The reason I ask is that my new leftover 2011 Road King Police (103 w/oil cooler) doesn't seem to have the issues that so many complain of, namely excessive heat and pinging under hard acceleration at low revs. I can't MAKE the thing detonate even lugging very low revs, it just pulls clean and smooth. I only get 35 MPG but that's at 80- 85 mph on the open road. I don't feel that this bike runs any hotter on the rider than my 1996 FLT, so what gives?
Thanks! :-)

Old 08-04-2012, 04:55 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

AFAIK H-D stopped with secret sauce pursuit motors after the Evo motor...what i was told is that the Twin Cam PD motors tended to be the top 10% within tolerances...*

Motorcycles are usually used for parade or traffic and spend much time idling. and because of this, low compression or de-tuned motors were often in cop bikes ( I started on cop shovels in the mid 70's).

There were high po pursuit motors available in the evo FXRP's with ignition module, police cam -(like an EV3) and milled heads .060" to raise compression to 9.6:1.

But the thing that worked in the bikes favor was the light weight.

i rode PD evo FLHS' and they seemed to not have the same motor power--- but that could have been the extra 250 pounds

specs from PD's ( like the CHP where mine came from in 1990) detailed acceleration rates, braking distance lean angle etc.
The published top speed was 104 MPH in 4th gear, with terminal speed unknown due to wind resistance ... however mine has been over 135 a few times...stripped down and weighing less ( no fairing or bags) and a 15% overdrive with the 61T rear pulley and softail belt.

Being a "gov't owned vehicle" it was exempt from emission controls at time of manufacture- no evap canister for example and the above mentioned cam and ignition.

I don't really think my 09 runs any hotter than my evos when it's 100º + out

Mike

* 2 sources; the first a technician in the motor rebuild program at Capitol Drive, and confirmed by Clyde Fessler

Last edited by mkguitar; 08-05-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:06 PM
Lo 1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I so want one of the police bikes. Id like to get a newer one but they don't last around here.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:01 PM
biggrantwilliam
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My police glide didn't have the cats , this could be your power and heat difference .

Old 08-04-2012, 07:43 PM
cmashark
Road Warrior

Received 209 Likes on 114 Posts

I have searched and am under the impression that the main difference is the tune. I believe its mainly timing. The reason I say this is, when looking at V&H fuel pak tunes. They list different tunes for touring 103's and police 103's. Now another difference I have noticed is a lot of gear whine in 1st and 5th gears.

Chris

Old 08-04-2012, 08:03 PM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a 2010 FLHP 103/w/oil cooler etc - LOVE IT! That thing is a monster! She pulls hard and just goes! I did an FM stage 1 with new headers to rid the cats and used the Power Vision. No pings, rattles, or effort - I let that clutch out with BARELY any throttle and she just leaves. Best 2nd purchase of an HD I have every made! Lots a good guys and info on those things here on this forum: www.retiredpolicebikes.com

Tell them I sent cha. ;-)

Old 08-04-2012, 09:09 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

My 07 FLHP with the 103/six speed was very hot running in stock trim. Getting more fuel into the tune went a long way to making the bike more enjoyable to ride during summer months.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:00 AM
K Melancon
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Does it say you can run regular fuel instead of premium. If it does its been tuned for reg and with that less heat. Police departments run regular fuel in everthing and will not buy premium. Factory probably take this into account when spec out these bikes

Old 08-05-2012, 09:53 AM
trispeed
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by biggrantwilliam
My police glide didn't have the cats , this could be your power and heat difference .
that's an interesting thought; anyone know if the 2011 FLHP is "cat- less"? I imagine it's there but it would be cool to know for sure before I change anything in the future.

Last edited by trispeed; 08-05-2012 at 09:53 AM. Reason: .
Old 08-05-2012, 02:42 PM
LeadSSled
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by K Melancon
Does it say you can run regular fuel instead of premium. If it does its been tuned for reg and with that less heat. Police departments run regular fuel in everthing and will not buy premium. Factory probably take this into account when spec out these bikes
I can tell you that the owner's manual for my 2010 FLHP specifies the use of 91 octane gasoline. It is the Police version manual.

Quick Reply: 2011 FLHP different tune than civilian bikes?