Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE Cam Support Plate & High Volume Oil Pump Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 04:23 AM
Nostradamus74
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default SE Cam Support Plate & High Volume Oil Pump Upgrade

Good day guys.
Need your opinion and experience on the Cam Support Plate and High-Volume Oil Pump upgrade for newer models equipped with 103ci engine.
Encountered this dilemma while studying a cam upgrade for my 2014 Breakout.
Planning to install SE-204 bolt-in cams and was considering all those upgrades which are considered "best practice" to do, though not requested, such as bearings, pushrods, clutch spring, etc.
Now, I know on older models it was a "best practice" to install the SE hydraulic cam chain tensioner and high flow oil pump to prevent the issues many HD owners experienced with expensive failures.
What about newer models?
Heard some owners complaining about the stock cam support plate due to the material and recommended the SE upgrade kit (p.n. 25282-11) also 'cause of the high volume oil pump which in their opinion would reduce engine noise, oil temp, increase psi, etc...
Would really appreciate your help.

The following users liked this post:
stal94gt (04-15-2018)
Old 01-27-2015, 04:42 AM
stal94gt
Road Master
Received 95 Likes on 88 Posts

i would use a feuling oil pump and cam plate or a t-man pump. if your investing that kind of money i would look into getting the crank welded and the run out tightened up along with new bearings all around.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:54 AM
Steel Wheels
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 167 Posts

I replaced pretty much everything when I swapped cams awhile back. Stayed with HD SE for inner bearings, support plate, oil pump and adjustable pushrods. Also installed were Andrews 57H cams, S&S 33-5350 tappets and a Stealth air filter.

The oil pump is worth it if you can afford it. The larger rotors (feed & scavenge) are obvious when comparing them on the bench. The support plate is a luxury, but I was already into it, had the $, and decided it would benefit the engine's longevity. No serious road time yet as it's still winter, but I've made several 50-100 mi. ride days and so far no problems.

Don't know of any issues with the current stock setup other than a few instances of early failures with the 99C tappets...

Old 01-27-2015, 05:59 AM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,784 Likes on 9,863 Posts

My understanding is from '07 on the TC is equipped with the high volume pump in order to support the hydraulic tensioner system. I could be wrong. Inner bearing change would be cheap insurance.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:48 AM
Nostradamus74
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by QC
My understanding is from '07 on the TC is equipped with the high volume pump in order to support the hydraulic tensioner system. I could be wrong. Inner bearing change would be cheap insurance.

TC '07 and newer have an upgraded oil pump but is it the same of the kit?
I guess kit supplied high volume oil pump is bigger than stock 'cause it wouldn't have any sense to supply another identical pump since the kit fits '07 and newer models. It's only an ipothesis but I guess stock pump is the same (or similar) of the one you can find in the kit for older models, in fact described as "hi-flow", but might be smaller than the "hi-volume" supplied with the 25282-11 kit.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:00 AM
Scudda
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,182 Likes on 937 Posts

I am doing this to my 05 Fat Boy in about 2 weeks. I don't think the SE plate will work with your bike. You have to use special cams with the plate plus you would be doing a downgrade on the chains. Yes the SE plate comes with a new outer roller chain but you have to use your silent cam chain..your motor has roller chains for both. Just put in a new oil pump or differnt pump spring if you want more oil flow. Remember HD works on oil flow not pressure like a car engine

Old 01-27-2015, 08:04 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I just did this upgrade. I got the SE kit and I put in all new bearings. I also did the cams putting in a set of Reaper 574's and had my SE heads done, flowed, ported and polished with a 1.63" intake and a 2" exhaust valves. I suggest head work while they are off. I learned long ago that when ever trying to do something cheaper or cut corners it always came back and bit me.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:54 AM
EagleRay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 96 Posts

Does anybody know if it's recommended to use the Screamin' Eagle cam support plate when putting in SE cams or if there are any known issues with the stock cam support plate when using SE bolt-in cams (e.g. 255 or 204)?

I wouldn't worry to much about the oil pump but if there are known problems with the stock cast plate it might better to go with the billet one...?

The following users liked this post:
pilecall (04-25-2021)
Old 01-27-2015, 12:03 PM
usmcbuck
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dealership told me the stock plate is just fine, said it will work great.

Old 01-27-2015, 12:05 PM
Steel Wheels
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 167 Posts

I put 255's in a 2010 Road King using the stock support plate. 26000 mi. later all was well when I sold it.

Quick Reply: SE Cam Support Plate & High Volume Oil Pump Upgrade