Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 Breakout- Help me with my front brake options

Old 03-23-2015, 05:40 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 141 Posts
Default 2013 Breakout- Help me with my front brake options

Hi all- Need input from techs and other members that know the 2013 FXSB brakes (non-ABS) and what changes work best to improve braking up front.

I don't like the weak grab or fade of the stock single 4 piston caliper. Been searching here and the net in general looking for a reasonable DIY upgrade. Talked to PM for a bit, they are always helpful but of course only as it relates to their parts. My Big Dog has all PM 4-piston brakes + HHI Master, EBC HH pads, braided lines, and stops on a dime. Single 11.8" disc up front

Not going dual disc on the Breakout, that seems like a lot of work and probably more brake than I need given the bike's intended use. My main concern is being able to stop earlier if needed and get more of a two-finger pull on the lever with some feedback vs gorilla handful and no feedback.

> I have a floating rotor on the front already, 11.5"
> I have new suspension parts coming, Ricor Intiminators and 1.0kg Race Tech springs

Options:
1. leave everything as is but replace the pads with EBC HH and braided brake line.

2. replace the stock HD caliper with a VROD or Touring HD Brembo caliper, braided brake line, EBC HH pads. Are these calipers better than the stock Breakout caliper? Do they require a different MC like 1/2" or 11/16"? I think the stock Breakout MC is 9/16" but not sure.

3. Jaybrake or PM 6 piston caliper, braided line, current MC, HH pads

4. Jaybrake or PM 6 piston caliper, HHI MC (or other brand / size of MC, 1/2", 11/16" etc), braided line, HH pads

Questions:

> Who makes HD's caliper for the non-ABS Breakout?

> What size is the Breakout MC and brake line?

> Is the Breakout brake line the newer rigid plastic type and is it adequate? Does not seem like the rubber line type.

TIA-

Last edited by LA_Dog; 03-23-2015 at 06:40 PM.
Old 07-01-2016, 01:05 PM
wedgemoose
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LA.....haha How come every time i search something your always the go to guy!!!!!

I see in your sticky you answered your own question here. But i figured i would ask you another subject if you don't mind?

What did you go with for your front brake line? I kind of wanted to keep the same style (hose to solid and back to hose. But can't seem to find a braided hose like that anywhere. I also notice they changed the front brake line after our year(2013)

What did you do? And if you did got with full hose type(no hard pipe section) did it mount and look good??? sorry to always bug you sir

Last edited by wedgemoose; 07-01-2016 at 01:51 PM.
Old 07-01-2016, 01:41 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,126 Likes on 6,207 Posts

I have a pair of Hawg Halters I have been trying to find time to put on my old Heritage which has single piston calipers. I think you mostly need better pads since you already have multipiston calipers.

My main observation is you are running a big wheel up front. A larger wheel is harder to stop. The best thing you can do is find a larger brake rotor which will give more leverage.

I know a Jeep is not a bike but stay with me. One of the mods that we do on a Jeeps that are driven on the street with big tires is big brake rotors for the very same reason. I would imagine the same concept applies.

Arlen Ness I think others even make brake rotors that are on the outer edge of the wheel fir this reason. They mostly look like crab though. Some Crotch rockets also use those types of rotors.

Old 07-01-2016, 01:47 PM
wedgemoose
Cruiser

thanks Prot. But i actually don't have trouble stopping. Just want a chrome front break line. And the Breakout has a weird one. It's rubber to a solid line and then back to rubber. it's not the normal full rubber from top to bottom.

Old 07-01-2016, 01:53 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,126 Likes on 6,207 Posts

Maybe try these guys. I ordered lines from them but again no time for the install.

http://www.helperformance.us/

Old 07-01-2016, 02:04 PM
wedgemoose
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Prot
Maybe try these guys. I ordered lines from them but again no time for the install.

http://www.helperformance.us/
Wow those are nice looking !! nothing for Breakout though. Unless another model is the same.

Magnum shield is where i got the rest. But i like the look of these. Might contact them to be sure.

thanks

Old 07-01-2016, 06:45 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 141 Posts

Wedgemoose- I actually left mine as is. It's a hard type of line and I really don't see any problem with line expansion on braking- at least not with the stock caliper and master. I have put HH+ rated pads up front and they stop very well hot or cold. If I wanted better I would do as Prot suggested and go with a larger diameter disc.

Good luck tracking down a chrome line, I am sure that parts fitment and availability is better now than it was when I was looking into it a year and a half ago. Actually if you can shoot a PM to member 24V he would probably know.

Old 07-01-2016, 06:53 PM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,548 Likes on 667 Posts

Have you considered the Arlen Ness big brake kit?

That was a massive improvement for my dyna (single rotor up front) and it has a much different lever feel. No more vague and spongy lever that takes lots of pull and force to actually get some braking power out of it. It feels very responsive and firm, I'd say I'm only pulling on the lever half has hard and far and getting more stopping power out of mine.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:16 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 530 Likes on 376 Posts

Lyndall rotor and Extreme pads.

Old 07-05-2016, 12:16 PM
racinjason65
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
Hi all- Need input from techs and other members that know the 2013 FXSB brakes (non-ABS) and what changes work best to improve braking up front.

I don't like the weak grab or fade of the stock single 4 piston caliper. Been searching here and the net in general looking for a reasonable DIY upgrade. Talked to PM for a bit, they are always helpful but of course only as it relates to their parts. My Big Dog has all PM 4-piston brakes + HHI Master, EBC HH pads, braided lines, and stops on a dime. Single 11.8" disc up front

Not going dual disc on the Breakout, that seems like a lot of work and probably more brake than I need given the bike's intended use. My main concern is being able to stop earlier if needed and get more of a two-finger pull on the lever with some feedback vs gorilla handful and no feedback.

> I have a floating rotor on the front already, 11.5"
> I have new suspension parts coming, Ricor Intiminators and 1.0kg Race Tech springs

Options:
1. leave everything as is but replace the pads with EBC HH and braided brake line.

2. replace the stock HD caliper with a VROD or Touring HD Brembo caliper, braided brake line, EBC HH pads. Are these calipers better than the stock Breakout caliper? Do they require a different MC like 1/2" or 11/16"? I think the stock Breakout MC is 9/16" but not sure.

3. Jaybrake or PM 6 piston caliper, braided line, current MC, HH pads

4. Jaybrake or PM 6 piston caliper, HHI MC (or other brand / size of MC, 1/2", 11/16" etc), braided line, HH pads

Questions:

> Who makes HD's caliper for the non-ABS Breakout?

> What size is the Breakout MC and brake line?

> Is the Breakout brake line the newer rigid plastic type and is it adequate? Does not seem like the rubber line type.

TIA-

I have the PM 6 piston caliper, stainless braided brake lines, Arlen ness hand controls with the 7/16" master cylinder, Race Tech Springs and Race tech Emulators. I have a 23" front wheel so I wanted to get some of my braking back.