Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Softail Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models-7/)
-   -   Breakout ABS removal (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/1040207-breakout-abs-removal.html)

wavesnwheels 04-14-2015 04:12 AM

Breakout ABS removal

I have a 2014 breakout with ABS which I am considering removing. I have searched the forum and all I can find is some posts from 2007-8 on removing from an ex police bike.

Firstly is it possible to remove without upsetting the engine management system, warning lights etc. Also from what I understand from the older posts is that the wheel bearings are different, would I have to change these. I'm hoping that it is as simple as removing the abs units and running new lines from the levers to the calipers but it's never that straight forward which is why I'm asking.

Any helpful info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

professorzoogy 04-14-2015 05:52 AM

can't see why not.....running new lines , ecm reflash......all possible . car guys have been doing it for a while now .

FurryOne 04-15-2015 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by wavesnwheels (Post 13915996)
I have a 2014 breakout with ABS which I am considering removing.

The most helpful answer you could get is NOT TO. Seriously, do you really think you're quicker or smarter than the ABS? If you do, you're NOT! All this BS talk about being safer without ABS, or that ABS can get you into trouble, or that so & so proved they can stop shorter than ABS is nothing more than Urban Legends perpetrated by Luddites of the Bike World. Harley didn't put ABS on the Breakout just so they could charge more - they did it because it's proven technology that can save your A$$. And while Harley's ABS isn't quite as sophisticated as that in cars right now, it's still better than anyone's reflexes.

I paid extra in 2013 for ABS on my Breakout, and while I may never need it, it's still there in case I screw up. I've put 6800 miles on mine, and have yet to feel the ABS interfere with my riding style.

wavesnwheels 04-16-2015 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by professorzoogy (Post 13916119)
can't see why not.....running new lines , ecm reflash......all possible . car guys have been doing it for a while now .

Thanks for that Professor. The ecm reflash was something that I had wondered about, I've got a Screamin' Eagle® Pro Super Tuner but don't think it's possible to do it through that. From what I've read so far guys have used resistors to kid the ecm into thinking that the ABS circuit is still complete.

I think I need to read a bit more as I wasn't even aware that the bike had canbus wiring, it does however look possible to do as you say I just need to get all the info in place before I start.

Keithhu 04-16-2015 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by wavesnwheels (Post 13922797)
Thanks for that Professor. The ecm reflash was something that I had wondered about, I've got a Screamin' Eagle® Pro Super Tuner but don't think it's possible to do it through that. From what I've read so far guys have used resistors to kid the ecm into thinking that the ABS circuit is still complete.

I think I need to read a bit more as I wasn't even aware that the bike had canbus wiring, it does however look possible to do as you say I just need to get all the info in place before I start.

Given all the great things you could spend your money and time on for your bike, I have to say this one is a head scratcher. "I want to spend a ton of money and time to make my bike less safe, look no different, and go no faster"

wavesnwheels 04-16-2015 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by FurryOne (Post 13921896)
Seriously, do you really think you're quicker or smarter than the ABS?

Did I say that - No, but thanks for the insult!

If you do, you're NOT!
Well thanks for that insight

All this BS talk about being safer without ABS, or that ABS can get you into trouble, or that so & so proved they can stop shorter than ABS is nothing more than Urban Legends perpetrated by Luddites of the Bike World.
And you know this from your own extensive experience I'm guessing?

Harley didn't put ABS on the Breakout just so they could charge more - they did it because it's proven technology that can save your A$$.
I think you'll find they did it because they are trying to open their market up and if they want to get people off BMW's and Honda's they have to add the things that these customers expect, I'm not sure about this but I would also imagine there is some euro law that requires it.

I paid extra in 2013 for ABS on my Breakout
Well done at least you had a choice

I've put 6800 miles on mine, and have yet to feel the ABS interfere with my riding style.
I can only assume that you ride like a pussy then or have absolutely no feeling for what your bike is doing. Mind you if you've only done 6800 miles in two years your hardly a regular rider and with that not really qualified to tell me what to do.

I was hoping not to get into an argument about how good or bad ABS is but seeing as you feel you know everything about it I will tell you that I have had several situations where the ABS has cut in and if circumstances had been different could have been very dangerous for me.

Whilst coming up to the end of a road I started braking a safe distance from the junction and noticed there was an excessive amount of sand on the road, the ABS cut in and I had no brakes at all. I wasn't able to stop in time and ended up going across the road. Fortunately there were no vehicles in sight and I got away with it. Without ABS I do think I would have had a better chance of stopping.

There are also quite a few dirt roads where I live and the ABS doesn't like those either, from years of riding motocross bikes I can tell you that locking up the wheels and skidding to a stop is much quicker than waiting for the ABS on dirt.

I would also like to add that I have had many bikes and still have bikes other than my Harley and none are fitted with ABS, I've never felt the need for it and have never wanted it. My opinion my bikes my decision. Harley have sold the Breakout without ABS so they obviously think it's safe to do so.

To be honest I never mentioned safety, urban legends or Harley wishing to charge me more, I simply asked for some helpful info as to removing the system.

When I'm braking I would like to concentrate on lever pressure, road surface and whats going on around me, I don't want some electronics butting in and distracting me from what I'm doing.

You are a fan of ABS, paid extra for it and wish to justify that by ranting on my thread. I would appreciate it if you would keep your ill informed opinion to your self, or at the very least have the courtesy to ask me what my reasons are before doing so.

wavesnwheels 04-16-2015 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Keithhu (Post 13922840)
Given all the great things you could spend your money and time on for your bike, I have to say this one is a head scratcher. "I want to spend a ton of money and time to make my bike less safe, look no different, and go no faster"

I am not planning on spending a ton of money, mainly because I don't have a ton of money but also I am hoping I will be able to do this without spending much if any. If it does turn out to be expensive it won't be undertaken.

I'm of the less is more opinion when it comes to bikes and taking stuff off that is imho not required is what I choose to do. I appreciate people have strong opinions on safety and what is and isn't a good idea and I appreciate your opinion Keith.

Aside from my reasons stated in the previous post I do think the bike will look better as it will give the down tube area a much cleaner and less fussy look.

Tom84FXST 04-16-2015 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by wavesnwheels (Post 13915996)

Firstly is it possible to remove without upsetting the engine management system, warning lights etc. Also from what I understand from the older posts is that the wheel bearings are different, would I have to change these. I'm hoping that it is as simple as removing the abs units and running new lines from the levers to the calipers but it's never that straight forward which is why I'm asking.

Pull the ABS fuse and see how you like your bike without ABS.

wavesnwheels 04-16-2015 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST (Post 13922899)
Pull the ABS fuse and see how you like your bike without ABS.

Great idea Tom thanks. I'll give that a try asap.

Next In Line 04-16-2015 09:19 AM

Actually Harley put ABS on because it will be required on all new motorcycles in the EU starting 2016.