Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Softail Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models-7/)
-   -   Brake/fork issue, is this normal? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/105567-brake-fork-issue-is-this-normal.html)

tmac 04-29-2007 12:30 AM

Brake/fork issue, is this normal?

600+ miles on the 07 FXST and had an unusual experience today. When I applied the front brake in what might considered an aggressive manner I noticed kind of a "click" or "pop" in the front fork (I can't even say for sure it's he fork, but some where in the front end).It is audible and I can feel it in the bars. All seems tight and this only occurs when the forks compress more than normally as when pressure/weight transfers forward heavily and quickly. I can reproduce the the event by rolling forward a few feet and locking up the front brake compressing the shocks. I guess when I get a chance I will ask the dealer (what a pain in the A$$) but I thought someone may have some insight. Thanks,

tmac

In Memoriam Citoriplus 04-29-2007 01:43 AM

RE: Brake/fork issue, is this normal?

Not sure how to do it, but have you checked the fluid level in the forks?
The only other thing I can think of might be loosebearings in the neck.

Oldtimer of NM 04-29-2007 01:50 AM

Before I moved, my neighbor had a similar problem. His turned out to be a loose caliper mounting bolt.

slammedtrain 04-29-2007 01:53 AM

ORIGINAL: Citoriplus

Agreed.....mine needed adjustment..

deadeye 04-29-2007 09:03 AM

I've had the exact same symptom with my 07 Train--I noticed it right away. But, I think its just something in the neck/steering head area that needs to be torqued a little more and I'm not really worried about it. Its not getting worse. I'm going to have it looked at when I get the 1000 mi. service done but I'm not going tomess withit until then.

tmac 04-29-2007 09:04 AM

Thank you. I will look into these issues 'cause I have no clue...

tmac

DaveJ 04-29-2007 11:59 AM

ORIGINAL: slammedtrain

I concur with this assessment. Sounds like you need to tighten the steering head a bit.

06hog 04-29-2007 12:08 PM

[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: slammedtrain

[blockquote]quote:

[/blockquote]

[/blockquote]

I concur with this assessment. Sounds like you need to tighten the steering head a bit.

Concur with the above, mine was loose, had to tightten the steering nut up some, and is fine.

tmac 04-29-2007 04:17 PM

Thanks, you guys are awesome. Put my mind at ease. I'll try to hold out for the 1000 service. Of course, past experience affords no confidence in the techs at my dealership. Ok place to buy but beyond that...

tmac