Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

windshield on a breakout?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 09:22 PM
schlacker
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Aside from that mini-fairing....no pictures yet.

Old 08-11-2015, 11:50 PM
matte
Stellar HDF Member
Received 788 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by cdonis
I use a memphis shade fairing. I also ride with a full face helmet to save the embarrassment of ruining the look of my breakout. Such a shame! All bullshit aside.... it looks good , and is functional, especially if you ride the bike a lot. It's removable in seconds but I cannot stand the wind noise and bobble head syndrome without it. Different strokes for different folks.
which fairing did you go for? I was eyeballing the smaller ones, but couldn't tell if they would even be effective.

Old 08-12-2015, 12:24 AM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by matte
which fairing did you go for? I was eyeballing the smaller ones, but couldn't tell if they would even be effective.
The bullet fairing. Any smaller or shorter I should say would not be very effective imo. Fairing is on the bike in my Sig pic, also should see it in my profile pics. I'm not claiming its the best looking fairing but I really didn't want a windshield and this one worked for me.

Old 08-12-2015, 12:15 PM
army_eod
Road Warrior
Received 589 Likes on 291 Posts

Windvest

Old 08-12-2015, 12:45 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

One thing a number of people here have used successfully is the National Cycle flyscreen. It's rather small and inconspicuous, doesn't cause buffeting, and actually works despite appearing too small to do anything. Must be that it's shaped just right. It takes the wind pressure off most of your chest. It doesn't deflect the air high enough to go over your head though, if that's what you're looking for.

Old 08-12-2015, 01:05 PM
CipoWins42
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's some things that you just don't do.

Old 08-12-2015, 02:23 PM
89Speedy
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by matte
Any opinions on the best looking/functional windshield for a breakout? I've never had a bike with one, but after the long trip to sd for Sturgis, I'm heavily considering it. That our a toy hauler. I've looked around here and seen some ideas. Just getting some opinions.

Just to add to....two options I was considering were the memphis shades gauntlet or cafe fairings.
Went with Windvest windshields and very happy with it! Compact, functional, and looks good.

Old 08-12-2015, 02:30 PM
fatboy slim
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I had the Fatboy, I rode across Spain and France 3 times the long way without a windshield. I refused to put one on that bike because it would look terrible. But, what I did have was a tool roll mounted on the risers. You would be surprised just how much a 5 inch round tool roll deflects the wind, and you get to stick your tools in it too, or your sandwiches, or what ever you want really.
Have the same on the Deluxe now, and although I still get bugs in my teeth, it does take a lot of wind pressure off the chest. Mind you I got a bug hit me right under the nose today on the RK and that has a high screen on it, go figure.

Old 08-12-2015, 02:57 PM
89Speedy
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 89Speedy
Went with Windvest windshields and very happy with it! Compact, functional, and looks good.
Here's a pic of it

Attached Thumbnails windshield on a breakout?-image.jpg  
Old 08-13-2015, 01:33 AM
xlr8it
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use the National screens "Flyscreen", its small but very effective to take the wind of the torso at speed.

Quick Reply: windshield on a breakout?